Who do you NOT want the Saints to select with their 1st round pick? (2 Viewers)

We have had tremendous success getting OL after the first round. And we have time to develop one...as it's unlikely that the incoming rookie will be asked to play a significant role year one. I think that there is a incredibly high probability that Ramczyk gets re-signed. Heck...I'll call it a blunder if he isn't re-signed. We may not re-sign Armstead, but a 2nd-3rd round OL can fill that role...or a 1st rounder next year.

Sammy, I understand your point, but we need to be certain that we have a replacement this and not next season, even if he plays as a starter until 2022.

Let's put the example of Ruiz. I know he is raw and we hope he will improve this year, but I would not want to bet on a player we have not seen on a playing field with the saints to cover the position in 2022. If we can get an o-tackle after the first round, I am willing to experiment.

But what's to say we can't get a guy that can't fill that role after round 1?

That is true. Some of my favorite mock drafts that I have done on PFN are Marshall in the 1st and then we could grab Spencer Brown at 60. I just did this one while waiting to respond to this post. If our draft ended up like this, we will have addressed many positions. I could have grabbed a guy like KJ Britt instead of Camp, but I went Camp with the conversion to TE in mind.

PFN Draft - Marshall_Brown_Trask.JPG

Sammy, I understand your point, but we need to be certain that we have a replacement this and not next season, even if he plays as a starter until 2022.

Let's put the example of Ruiz. I know he is raw and we hope he will improve this year, but I would not want to bet on a player we have not seen on a playing field with the saints to cover the position in 2022. If we can get an o-tackle after the first round, I am willing to experiment.

The majority of our GOOD OL were drafted after the first round. Ramczyk is really the only guy who was a 1st rounder that turned out to be a good player.

Nicks, Evans, Armstead, and McCoy were all midrounders. There's no guarentee that the late 1st round OL will be any better than guys after the 1st round. Typically there isn't a big difference, especially in the late first round...because if they were great OL prospects they are usually drafted earlier in the 1st round. Often it's just a matter of how much develop the player needs. Sure...there is every once in a while a guy like Ramczyk but that's not common. Usually its more of a Charles Brown story.

I'll be disappointed if we draft RB or OL. I think just about any other position could improve the team in the short term.

We have had tremendous success getting OL after the first round. And we have time to develop one...as it's unlikely that the incoming rookie will be asked to play a significant role year one. I think that there is a incredibly high probability that Ramczyk gets re-signed. Heck...I'll call it a blunder if he isn't re-signed. We may not re-sign Armstead, but a 2nd-3rd round OL can fill that role...or a 1st rounder next year.

Very good point about the Saints being able to find O linemen later in the draft. That is their super power. I trust them to find hidden gems in the mid to late rounds. They've had a few duds like Rick Leonard (what was that about lol) but for the most part they've been money.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for drafting O line. If I ran a team I'd invest in the trenches every draft. But this year I don't want to see a big ugly drafted in the 1st round.

Any offensive player....I really want them to draft BPA on D, we need to shore up the LB, CB, DL positions.....

So many needs on defense. Pick a name out of a hat and he'll probably fit a need. You might as well add Safety to that list because Jenkins isn't getting any younger and CGJ is best used as a hybrid Nickel type. I wouldn't mind having another fast, rangy FS type of player to pair with Marcus Williams. I don't care if he can't tackle like a SS just as long as he can run and cover some ground.

These needs on defense will be addressed by drafting a RB.

I don't want to see the Saints go RB (harris) in the first, although I would absolutely not be surprised if Coach Payton opted for this very talented RB. We have Murray on the roster to fill that role and IMO we have far greater needs at other positions - Wr on offense, and DL, LB and CB, which in my estimation is the most glaring defensive need as we don't have anyone on the roster to fill adequately that #2 CB role!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom