Who do you NOT want the Saints to select with their 1st round pick? (1 Viewer)

So did Joe Burrow, Baker Mayfield, Tua Tagovailoa, Kyler Murray and Jalen Hurts.

There's obvious differences there that we could get into but this isn't the thread for it. There's a reason I said Mariota and not Tua.

I am concerned about the 2021 team. But strangely quarterback is not the reason. The reason is our free-agency losses on defense and lack of quality depth at too many positions.

We do not need to rebuild. But we need to restock. I simply want us to pick good players regardless of position. At 28, I want the best player on the board, hopefully someone who has fallen.

I agree totally with Richard about trading down from 28, unless someone we really covet has fallen. But I can't remember the last time we traded down, especially in a very high round. Patience is not Payton's virtue. I suspect there is a better chance we trade up than trade down because, well, trading up is what we do.

Like I said before, I'm all for it if Zaven Collins isn't there.

The best defenses throughout history have had elite middle linebackers.

Even better if they can add a NT like Milton Williams or Jonathan Marshall because great defenses also can apply pressure directly into the QB'S line of sight up the middle as well to collapse the pocket.

I'm not opposed to trading down because that's how the Chargers drafted both Ladanian Tomlinson and Drew Brees.

I just also think that there are some players that you just can't pass on at certain spots in the draft because of raw value presented.

I think it's all contingent on who's available in whichever situation.

There's obvious differences there that we could get into but this isn't the thread for it. There's a reason I said Mariota and not Tua.
I actually don't remember Mariota having the type of Weapons the other guys that I named had in 2013-14.

Maybe my memory is bad.

I actually don't remember Mariota having the type of Weapons the other guys that I named had in 2013-14.

Maybe my memory is bad.

I was moreso speaking about the offense's prolificacy. Mariota rarely had to make tough decisions or fit the ball into tight windows.

There aren't many horrible players this year that I would not want at 28 unlike most years.

Elijah Moore WR
Kelvin Joseph CB
Eric Stokes CB
Carlos Basham DE
Joseph Ossai LB/DE
Jabril Cox LB
Pat Freiermuth TE
Terrace Marshall WR

Are all worthy of pick #28 even if some of the better talent is gone.

Even Offensive lineman like Spencer Brown and Quinn Minerz are super athletic.

Are there any S, guards, or RBs that you have a top 25 grade on that could be there at #28?

Which is why I’m hoping they go defense heavy as Ireland knows defensive guys. If they is anyone I’d want picking this year with all the craziness that has happened it’s him. Some guys just seem to hit in the draft and Ireland and defense are pretty good odds.
Who do I not want? OL, TE, QB, RB. Take the top talent at CB, LB or especially DT if there is someone who magically falls.

I feel the exact same way. Unless a offensive player graded in the top 15 falls somehow, we should be taking BPA on defense....I would include DE as well if one falls .....

Are there any S, guards, or RBs that you have a top 25 grade on that could be there at #28?

One safety.

Quinn Meinerz and Creed Humphrey at guard. Tevin Jenkins could likely play guard and Tackle.

Travis Ettiene, Javonte Williams, and Najee Harris could all go round 1. But I think that Ettiene might be the only true 1st rounder. He scored a td in 56 games and ran a 4.40 40.

The latest mock drafts I have seen are bringing me to the opinion that the Saints may not need to draft in the first round at all. Taking the team's cap situation and critical needs into consideration, the Saints likely need to try to accumulate additional second day picks. I ask myself which I would rather have in this draft -- pick #28 additional picks in the early rounds?

If they were ever going to trade down then this would be the year to do it. Not just because of the cap and the needs all over the field but because there's not going to be much difference in the player drafted 28th and the player drafted 48th. There will be so much value in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

But knowing SP he's probably already fallen in love with his guy and they'll trade up into the teens to get him. It will be interesting to see if their draft philosophy changes post Brees. They have used the sniper approach for years going with quality over quantity. It's the antithesis of New England's shotgun approach where they draft a bunch of players and hope a few pan out.

The Saints have had some great drafts with their approach but I've always wondered what they could do with 10 picks every year like the Pats.

Any offensive player. Saints need secondary and linebacker help.

Don't mean to go off the thread topic but sort of related....Does anyone think the draft needs to be held earlier than the end of April? Seems like period of early free agency and the draft seems to drag.

Don't mean to go off the thread topic but sort of related....Does anyone think the draft needs to be held earlier than the end of April? Seems like period of early free agency and the draft seems to drag.
I remember when it was in February. But the year only had 10 months back then, yes I'm old.

Any LB that SP or DA has a say in the pick.

And... any D player that they'll "Coach Up" away from the player's skill set!

Why can't the Saints just make a deal with a team that continually drafts DEFENSIVE gems that they'll swap out with Saints OFFENSIVE gems????

[sigh]

I've changed my mind.

There is someone I don't want at 28, Jamin Davis.

Has Martez Wilson meets Sedrick Hodge vibe all over him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom