Who do you think we will release. (1 Viewer)

First, there is a similar thread already discussing this topic. Secondly, you cannot release players that are already free agents (i.e. Devery Henderson, Fred Thomas, Terrence Copper, Jay Bellamy, etc). Alfred Fincher is no longer on the team and it's been that way for a while. Last time I heard, he was being tried out by the New York Jets. I think some of us really fail to pay attention with what's going on with our team from a personnel standpoint. By the way, you CANNOT go cutting everyone if you plan to have a team to compete this upcoming season. For instance, Shanle might not be the greatest WLB or starter material. But why cut him? He could be a solid backup and a guy with starting experience who could play for you in a pinch. If you cut every single player you do not like, we would not have much of a team left. It's not like you can go out and sign 7 linebackers to replace all the linebackers you do not like on the team.

Also, as much as some of you loathe Josh Bullocks, the team is not going to cut him. The only way I can see Josh Bullocks not making it to training camp is if he is part of some trade, which I doubt (or if something tragic was to occur, which I hope does not). Other than that, he'll be around. Does that mean he'll start? Not necessarily, although there are those individuals out there who continue to suggest that Bullocks is still thought highly of. I'll say this: when Bullocks first came out of Nebraska, I was very high on him. He had tremendous coverage and playmaking skills. Bill Callahan had changed his role the last year Bullocks was there and his production went down from a season in which he had caught 9 interceptions. I was hoping we would draft him especially after I watched him perform in the combine; he looked so smooth out there. But I did not think we would draft him because we had just signed a safety through free agency. Bullocks showed some promise as a rookie. The last two seasons, he's been maligned. But I do not know that it is his fault. We do not review tape or know the exact assigments to know who screwed up on a play. I do know that when we were looking to turn it around during the middle of the season and won 4 straight games, Bullocks was playing very well. At the same time, I also know that Kaevishorn did an excellent job of replacing Bullocks for the weeks Bullocks was injured or so it appeared just from watching the game (from an armchair QB perspective). The reason I believe that it is difficult to criticize Bullocks too much is that he plays a position where it is hard to tell what his assignment is on a given play. Some of you might think this is BS and that's cool. Trust me, I get upset with Bullocks at times because I know the potential he possesses. But I remember late in the season, there was a Rams game that Deion Sanders, Marshall Faulk and Rich Eisen were announcing. And on one particular play, Deion and Rich criticized Bulger for an interception and the TE for not making the play on the ball or something like that. Marshall, having played for the Rams and knowing the play called, corrected them and said that it was the WR Bennett's fault. Marshall said that Bennett did not run the route correctly and did nothing to help his QB out. To every man, Deion and Rich included, you would have thought that it was Bulger's fault and a miscue by the TE. In reality, it was a miscue by a guy who would never get criticized for making the mistake because he was the last person to make it across the field. This is why I think we have to be careful in our criticisms of Bullocks. OF COURSE, WE ALL CAN MAKE A CLAIM TO KNOW FOOTBALL AND CAN BE CRITICAL OF THE OBVIOUS. But unless we know the exact defense called or where a defender is suppose to be, then I think it is hard to say whether or not Bullocks is always the culprit. It is less difficult when you have a player like Jason David being torched time and time again, particularly if the defense looks to be in man. Now, there are times when we can suspect that David was suppose to get help over the top from the safety but we have seen David get beat enough in obvious man-to-man situations to know that we need an upgrade at the CB position. I only mention the David example for those of you who might try to be slick and come back suggesting that I am basically saying that no one should be criticized. I am not. I am not even saying that Bullocks cannot be. But I am saying that we have to be careful and make sure we place those criticisms in the right context.

Finally, I believe that if Deuce does not restructure, he will be let go. Of course, that's not earth-shattering news. I think everyone sort of expects that to occur.

Last edited:
I don't agree that "everyone sort of expects" Deuce to be let go, if he does not restructure. To the contrary, I think it is highly unlikely they would let him go. I do think they will make a concerted effort to restructure with him, and I think he will be amenable. But he would be a big cap hit to let go, and if healthy enough, a stupid move. we still do not have an every down back (Pierre Thomas' performance notwithstanding). Now, if he's not healthy, or does not recover sufficiently, I could see an injury settlement, but otherwise I think Deuce is on this team in 2008 (also, he is saying all the right things, and he and the saints have no doubt talked about this...)

I don't agree that "everyone sort of expects" Deuce to be let go, if he does not restructure. To the contrary, I think it is highly unlikely they would let him go. I do think they will make a concerted effort to restructure with him, and I think he will be amenable. But he would be a big cap hit to let go, and if healthy enough, a stupid move. we still do not have an every down back (Pierre Thomas' performance notwithstanding). Now, if he's not healthy, or does not recover sufficiently, I could see an injury settlement, but otherwise I think Deuce is on this team in 2008 (also, he is saying all the right things, and he and the saints have no doubt talked about this...)

I agree. I think Deuce is here for 2008 regardless. However, I do think that if he doesn't recover well, that it will be his last in the Black and Gold, as much as it pains me to say.

Deuce is the least every down back we'd have if he isn't cut. So I don't see him solving that problem. I think hes here in 2008, and cut in 2009 if he hasn't restructured.

Simmons is the most likely to be cut at this point. His salary is ridiculous for a backup this coming year. Bellamy is cut every year. Thomas will probably be cut also.

I think we lost alot of guys to FA. Our depth was already very shallow at several positions. I don't think we cut any CBs or LBs, unless we sign someone. If we sign Thomas, then we may see Simmons cut or asked to take a paycut. Deuce will be asked to restructure and if he refuses, well that will be interesting. I believe he knows that with two knee injuries his value goes down. Now, I'm not saying I want to see him go. I don't! Today's NFL is brutal and you either perform or you're thrown to the sharks.
It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. In the end, I just want a more competitive team and a chance at something BIG.

I agree with you REALCHRISM, DaveParks1 and Scott B....people dont understand whats salvagable and what needs to be scrapped....and as REALCHRISM put it, you cant cut everyone! some of the guys people dont want on this team, are actually building blocks, Bullocks was a 2nd round pick, he is gonna get plenty of chances to improve, he's an investment and if he was bad in pass defense and run defense I could see him being demoted...not cut, but demoted, Bullocks is a tough defender, he takes very bad angles in pass coverage and he tackles to high (i've noticed...likes to go for the shoulders) but in run defense he is solid and willing (he and Harper) to me both of them are something to build on, and the guys we want to get rid of are depth (atleast) they know the offense (or defense) so if the guy they are replaced by are injured or inneffective, we can slide them back in (Shanle, B. Young, Simmons, Bullocks*)

Most of the guys we want to let go are still nice players to have on your team....just not the guys you can count on to make plays when you need them...but there solid

Deuce is the least every down back we'd have if he isn't cut. So I don't see him solving that problem. I think hes here in 2008, and cut in 2009 if he hasn't restructured.

Simmons is the most likely to be cut at this point. His salary is ridiculous for a backup this coming year. Bellamy is cut every year. Thomas will probably be cut also.

i'm not sure what you mean when you say "Duece is the least everydown back we'd have if he isnt cut"? are you saying Duece isnt an every down back because of the knee injury?

Wait until after the draft and training camp folks... Deuce is the only player I've heard even mentioned as having to restructure his contract.

The Saints are well below the cap and most of the roster has salary cap friendly deals. Simmons is a possibility if they can bring in other linebackers to unseat him.

Most of the Saints players who are currently free agents, the team would like to have back. So again, until the draft and free agency shake themselves out, it is difficult to project who will be gone.

I think either Duece or Stecker has to go this season. PT played very well when given the chance, making one of our veterans expendable. Duece carries the bigger contract, but if he restructures like many people are thinking the saints will ask him to do, then that solves that problem.Although, even if he does take less money, it will still be more than we are paying stecker. With that said, i still think deuce stays for at least one more year, depending on Reggie's production next season. We all know deuce can produce a solid running game when he's healthy, but reggie has yet to prove that. Unless the coaches decide that Thomas can be a long term solution, duece has to stay a while longer. On the D side of the ball, I think Hollis will be gone. He got a new contract, but didnt produce nearly what he did in '06.

i'm not sure what you mean when you say "Duece is the least everydown back we'd have if he isnt cut"? are you saying Duece isnt an every down back because of the knee injury?

Yes. Out of all the backs we'd have on the roster (PT, Stecker if hes resigned, Bush) I think he'd be able to handle the least amount of carries because of his injuries. So keeping him because "we need an everydown back" doesn't make much sense IMO. Thats all I was saying. I think hes here this year regardless. Next offseason will be interesting.

Devery, Devery, Devery. Maybe Copper to give him a jump on finding a team before the draft. Did I mention Devery?

We can't cut devery without signing him first!? He's a FA.. I would cut Shanle, Simenou, Look at the salary number and you can see who we need to cut. There are too many people making millions of dollars that are worth a couple of hundred at best!

But I would sign Colston, and Will Smith if I played him as linebacker!

We can't cut devery without signing him first!? He's a FA.. I would cut Shanle, Simenou, Look at the salary number and you can see who we need to cut. There are too many people making millions of dollars that are worth a couple of hundred at best!

But I would sign Colston, and Will Smith if I played him as linebacker!

Shanle makes a good chunk of change, he may very well be cut after the draft. Simoneau is a FA. We can't cut him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom