Who do YOU want for DC? (1 Viewer)

Who would you like to be hired as our new DC?

• Total voters
why no Bo Pelini consideration????

idk about any of these guys but of the choices given i'd take Grantham.

I voted for Grantham but I would also take Tomsula. Grantham would install the 3-4 1 Gap. Crennell is good but he runs a 3-4 2 Gap. We don't have the personnel for the 2 gap. the 1 gap is a better defense against the read option that Redskins, 49'ers & Seahawks QB's run.

It's beyond me why so many people her are considering Grantham after he had worse defenses in Cleveland than Spagnolo and Flajole did in St. Louis.

Todd Grantham is my first choice - has NFL experience and successfully oversaw the transition of the Georgia Bulldogs' Defense from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Exactly what the Saints need now.

Kirby Smart is my second choice....he is only second because he has coordinated a D that is overloaded with talent (something he won't have with the Saints). Still young and aggressive yet with years of experience running a 3-4.

Further down my list are the old NFL retreads - Romeo Crennell my third choice due to his age and contract status. Eric Mangini might be worth a shot if the others can't hired.

Finally here are my thoughts on a name that keeps coming up - Ed Donatell. He isn't a good fit for the following reasons -

In his two prior DC stints (2000-2003 Green Bay, 2004-2006 Atlanta) he ran a 4-3. He has never coordinated a 3-4.

He has only been a position coach in 3-4 D's.

He's never overseen the transition from the 4-3 to a 3-4 and then built a Defense. He'd be starting from scratch with the Saints.

Because of these reasons Donatell would be an experiment. With Brees window closing the Saints don't have time for experiments. They need someone who can quickly assemble then coordinate a 3-4 Defense. Someone who has done it before like Todd Grantham.

It's beyond me why so many people her are considering Grantham after he had worse defenses in Cleveland than Spagnolo and Flajole did in St. Louis.

He came in to cleveland for 1 year....a very talentless Cleveland @ tht. It was one year. Its hard to get a trend from tht.

Spags had been trending down since he left NY....two dif situations

He came in to cleveland for 1 year....a very talentless Cleveland @ tht. It was one year. Its hard to get a trend from tht.

Spags had been trending down since he left NY....two dif situations

He had 3 years in cleveland.

Did you ever bother to read the bio sent you a while back?
<table style="border-spacing: 3px; width:22em;" class="infobox vcard" cellspacing="3"><tbody><tr><th style="text-align:center; font-size:125%; font-weight:bold; background-color: lightgray;" class="fn" colspan="2">Todd Grantham</th> </tr> <tr class=""> <th style="text-align:left;" scope="row">Sport(s)</th> <td style="text-align: left;" class="category">Football</td> </tr> <tr> <th style="text-align:center; background-color: lightgray;" class="" colspan="2">Current position</th> </tr> <tr class=""> <th style="text-align:left;" scope="row">Title</th> <td style="text-align: left;" class="">Defensive coordinator</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th style="text-align:left;" scope="row">Team</th> <td style="text-align: left;" class="note">Georgia</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th style="text-align:left;" scope="row">Conference</th> <td style="text-align: left;" class="category">SEC</td> </tr> <tr> <th style="text-align:center; background-color: lightgray;" class="" colspan="2">Biographical details</th> </tr> <tr class=""> <th style="text-align:left;" scope="row">Born</th> <td style="text-align: left;" class=""> September 13, 1966 (age 46)
Pulaski, Virginia</td> </tr> <tr> <th style="text-align:center; background-color: lightgray;" class="" colspan="2">Coaching career (HC unless noted)</th> </tr> <tr class=""> <th style="text-align:left;" scope="row">1990&#8211;1991
1992-1993
1994-1995
1996&#8211;1998
1999&#8211;2001
2002&#8211;2004
2005&#8211;2007
2008&#8211;2009
2010&#8211;present</th> <td style="text-align: left;" class="">Virginia Tech (DE/ILB)
Virginia Tech (DT)
Virginia Tech (DL)
Michigan State (DL)
Indianapolis Colts (DL)
Houston Texans (DL)
Cleveland Browns (DC)
Dallas Cowboys (DL)
Georgia (DC)</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Todd Grantham (born September 13, 1966) is the defensive coordinator for the Georgia Bulldogs. He was hired on Jan. 15, 2010.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-1">[1]</sup>

Todd Grantham - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He was terrible and his run defenses were among the worst in the league. His 2006-2007 defenses finished 26th and 30th.

Cleveland Browns (2005-2007)

Todd Grantham's first year as coordinator of the Browns defense was an eclectic mix of good and bad. They once again fielded one of the NFL's top pass defenses, actually stepping up in rank from 5th to 4th in the NFL. When starting cornerback Gary Baxter went down with a knee injury that ended his season, Leigh Bodden emerged as a solid playmaker. Overall, their secondary continued to play at a high level. They also ranked 11th in scoring defense despite possessing one of the leagues worst run defenses. Orpheus Roye would post a career high with 88 tackles and also make 3 sacks.
After Michigan State dismissed head coach John L. Smith in 2006, Grantham was one of the candidates to be his replacement. However, Michigan State would hire Cincinnati head coach Mark Dantonio.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-2">[2]</sup>
He was fired on January 11, 2008 after the 2007 season with the Brown's defense ranking 25th against the pass, 27th against the run, and 30th in total-yards-against among 32 teams.

Getting tomsula would be a good way to get some insight on a rival tht looks likely o impede our progress to the SB for the next few years

As long as its someone willing to be flexible n can oversee a successful transition from 4-3 to 3-4.

My main thing with Grantham is hes worked@ the college level for a few years n hes been coaching against these offenses tht r being used in the nfl now.

He may have learned a thing or two since Cleveland.

Also i point to trends. Compared to guys like ryan n spags who have been trending down....hes actually been going up. Georias D has gotten better with each year the 3-4 has been in place.

My only wish...is tht we stay away from all system guys

If Philly acts fast on Donatell, we may not get a chance to sign Tomsula. I doubt the 49ers will allow 2 coaches to leave there defense. They'll likely deny permission for us to talk to him.

I wish we could steal Vic Fangio. We should have never let him leave.

As long as its someone willing to be flexible n can oversee a successful transition from 4-3 to 3-4.

My main thing with Grantham is hes worked@ the college level for a few years n hes been coaching against these offenses tht r being used in the nfl now.

He may have learned a thing or two since Cleveland.

Also i point to trends. Compared to guys like ryan n spags who have been trending down....hes actually been going up. Georias D has gotten better with each year the 3-4 has been in place.

My only wish...is tht we stay away from all system guys

I am not a big Grantham fan. Maybe it&#8217;s because I live in Atlanta, am surround by UGA fans, and hear more about him. Some UGA fans say NOOO stay away from our coach but more (that I have interaction with) say we can have him because it will benefit the Bulldogs and the Falcons. The one thing that both sides share is the opinion he underperformed with the amount of talent he had in 2012.

I also don&#8217;t think he has seen a lot of the offenses that are in today&#8217;s NFL (the pistol and/or spread). He plays in the SEC. Who in the SEC runs the pistol? No one! Who runs the spread? Texas A&M but UGA did not play them.

By my count, Grantham&#8217;s defense has seen approximately three spread offenses (no pistol) back in 2010 Auburn and Florida. 2011 Boise State. Auburn scored 49, Florida scored 34, Boise State scored 35. They lost all 3 games.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom