who do you want to recognize before it's too late? (1 Viewer)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
i hope this thread idea isn't too ghoulish, but considering how many NO icons we've recently said goodbye to
and considering how many of us are 'of an age' when the heroes from our youth are reaching their twilight years,
i thought it might be interesting to recognize those who have given us much to appreciate
could be biggies like Dylan or Mel Brooks or lesser noted names who are still meaningful to you

for me, I'm going with Kris Kristofferson
not just bc he is one of the best lyricists ever, but bc he's tied so closely to my feelings for my father who was the one who 'gave' me KK

Someone I would want to recognize is Alice Cooper, the first band I ever got hooked on. I was 8 and it was because of Wayne's World. It was the theatrics mainly I believe. He may not be the greatest rock guy ever but he does have several top 100 songs of all time in School's Out and I'm Eighteen. When I turned 18 I listened to that song. On my last day of high school I listened to School's Out as I walked out the school along with his song Freedom. He's probably my favorite singer, not many people could scowl sing like him. I'm not sure if that was the right word, scowl. And I got to meet him! I sold almost all of my gaming systems to pay for it, I didn't really play them anyway. Plus he was almost 70 at that time in 2016 so you never know when he could just drop dead. I'll try to add my photo with him on here it's just that it's on my phone and I'm about to be cooking some onion soup so I don't have time right now and the file may be too large to upload. I believe you can see pictures from concerts on his website at www.alicecooper.com just look up the New Orleans date in 2016, August 17 I believe.121083

Someone I would want to recognize is Alice Cooper, the first band I ever got hooked on. I was 8 and it was because of Wayne's World. It was the theatrics mainly I believe. He may not be the greatest rock guy ever but he does have several top 100 songs of all time in School's Out and I'm Eighteen. When I turned 18 I listened to that song. On my last day of high school I listened to School's Out as I walked out the school along with his song Freedom. He's probably my favorite singer, not many people could scowl sing like him. I'm not sure if that was the right word, scowl. And I got to meet him! I sold almost all of my gaming systems to pay for it, I didn't really play them anyway. Plus he was almost 70 at that time in 2016 so you never know when he could just drop dead. I'll try to add my photo with him on here it's just that it's on my phone and I'm about to be cooking some onion soup so I don't have time right now and the file may be too large to upload. I believe you can see pictures from concerts on his website at www.alicecooper.com just look up the New Orleans date in 2016, August 17 I believe.121083
nice

and thank you for the onion soup update

cate blanchett. determined asap. i am almost stalk-erish in love already.

i already missed out on dolores o'riordan. i was planning on seeing on tour, waiting to be a must see to be announced, but well, i waited too long.

elvira i met when i was a child. would love to meet as an adult.

Dylan would be my choice. I wonder what makes him tick. How did he seemingly transform from a hack to a brilliant songwriter overnight?

But you mentioned Dylan so I'll go in a different direction.

John is dead so I'll go with Paul.

Why did your partnership with John inspire so many great songs that you couldn't match in your solo career?

cate blanchett. determined asap. i am almost stalk-erish in love already.

i already missed out on dolores o'riordan. i was planning on seeing on tour, waiting to be a must see to be announced, but well, i waited too long.

Maybe the least surprising post in EE history.

Paul Simon. He’ll probably be the first and only “celebrity” to affect me emotionally when he goes.

This for me as well.. along with ‘the other Paul’, McCartney... also Billy Joel, but for some reason i dont picture him as being as old as the other two, though he’s not far behind.

Oh, and Bill Clinton.. not to veer into politics, but in the spirit of this thread, he’s my favorite President .. obviously he was far from perfect on a personal level, but i’m referring to the job he did as POTUS. .. i mean, who doesnt love economic prosperity and (relative) global peace?

cate blanchett.

Isn’t she only like 40-something? I doubt she’ll be dying anytime soon, but i guess you never know.

I might’ve mentioned this in another thread before, but a buddy of mine in L.A. circa 15 years ago made out with her at a party.. i think her real name’s Cassandra (too lazy to google) and she was way past her prime at the time.

Paul Simon. He’ll probably be the first and only “celebrity” to affect me emotionally when he goes.
good call
one night before i left for NY, me, dad and a family friend were sitting on the carport in bay st louis, drinking and listening to paul simoon
slip slidin away came on and they both kinda glazed over
when
And I know a father
Who had a son
He longed to tell him all the reasons
For the things he'd done
He came a long way
Just to explain
He kissed his boy as he lay sleeping
Then he turned around and headed home again

they were both like 'you'll never have any idea what he's talking about until you have kids of your own'

and now i do

Isn’t she only like 40-something? I doubt she’ll be dying anytime soon, but i guess you never know.

I might’ve mentioned this in another thread before, but a buddy of mine in L.A. circa 15 years ago made out with her at a party.. i think her real name’s Cassandra (too lazy to google) and she was way past her prime at the time.

15 years ago she would've been like 52. Although I met her in person a couple of years ago and she looks fantastic for her she.

Buzz Aldrin aka Dr Rendezvous.
He pioneered efforts is docking spacecraft. Without him, the lunar missions would have taken longer to get to where docking in space became commonplace.

Gene Kranz. NASA Flight Director.
That voice! That’s the voice that I associate with the space program for a very early age.
Not afraid of risk and was a leader.
Knew how to motivate his team and knew when to get out of the way.
NASA needs another Gene Kranz.

into the list of singer/song writers (and I agree with all those chosen) I would throw Elton John. I certainly don't like all of his eras but the amount of music during his prime that could really move people is truly amazing. One of only 3 artists where I have felt compelled to buy a box set. (Zep, Beatles)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom