Saints Who gets the start (2 Viewers)

You don't lose your spot due to injury, and I don't believe he will lose his spot due to suspension. If he comes back, and doesn't play as well as CJGJ, then he loses his spot. Until then, it's most likely PJ

However, you can definitely lose your spot to someone out playing you which I believe CGJ has.

The kid can do it all. Really a hard decision to remove him from the starting lineup. Trust the coaching staff on this one.

If it's close, a coach should start the injured player. Otherwise, no FA's will want to play for that team, because almost everyone gets injured.

If it's obviously not a close call, you start the better player. Suspension? All bets are off.

So, having carefully studied the situation, Kamara starts.

The reason why you ‘don’t lose your spot to injury’ is because the injured player was a starter for a reason - and the coaches presume (usually correctly) that the player returning from injury is still better than the backup. Even if the backup played well.

Generally that might be true - but one exception is where the replacement is a rookie or unknown talent that is emerging while the front line player is unavailable. (e.g. Brady > Bledsoe).

The coach is going to play the best player - and usually that’s the guy that already earned his starting job. But when coaches see (not just live game play but on film and in practice) that the replacement player actually is better - a coach that refuses to make that change based on some dogmatic rule is probably a coach that isn’t going to be successful.

I don’t know how they have graded out CJ but it seems obvious that he needs to be on the field. Perhaps it’s in certain packages or schemes and not a wholesale nickel-back replacement. But he can’t go back to 10 snaps - that would be a waste. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him out-snap PJ.

Plus when it’s a suspension, it’s not quite the same dynamics as an injury. Sorry bro.

I think the biggest takeaway is that the Saints can play them both at the same time and have a good bit of flexibility and options

Agreed!

PJ and Chauncey are fairly similar. Both can run, tackle in the open field, and are capable of coming in on the blitz. But I must say, I’ve been pleasantly surprised with CGJs pass coverage down the field. IMO, this is where he has the edge over PJ.

That said, now that Chauncey has had a couple of solid starts under his belt, and PJ is back, I think DA will play more “dime” packages . It’ll feature that duo, and likely DD in the middle as the 3 “LBs”.

Man, I get excited jus thinking about it! DA would have lotsa fun with this group. He could move them around, and call a variety of blitzes and coverages!

If you combine that kind of speed and athleticism on the backend with the kind pressure n sacks the D line has been gettin this season, as well as it’s been playin, I think Dennis Allen’s D mighta jus got a lil better!

PJ hasn't lost his spot if anything CGJ's emergence offers Dennis Allen more versatility in his defensive calls.

Forbsome people they have no ability to grasp that it doesn't always have to be an either/or choice. Sometimes the option can be both.
In traditional nickel set you will see PJ in big nickel sets you get CGJ. In dime you will see both.

If CGJ has knocked anyone off it's PRob who is struggling to stay healthy.

I w9uld expect to see PJ and CGJ on the field together a lot tomorrow beacuse I expect the falcons to abandon the run early.

CGJ has earned more playing time and was already getting increasing snaps before PJ's suspension. That said I think PJ will be considered ahead on the depth chart. I think the coaching staff will trust the vet more.

Kinda like Okafor still getting a ton of snaps when Davenport was hot last year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom