Who has a subscription to The Athletic? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I just read the article of interviews from former Mike Leach QBs on Leach's QB meetings.

So great.

Isaac Dotson, 2013: I was playing QB at the time, and we had our first position meeting, and 90 percent of the meeting had nothing to do with football. Maybe five plays into watching film, something happened that sparked a classic Mike Leach tangent. For at least an hour, he sat there rewinding and playing the same play over and over while he talked about everything from growing up in Wyoming to having a pet raccoon, getting paddled by the principal at his junior high, the origins of football and eventually just a full-blown Native American history lesson. The one-hour meeting lasted probably three hours. I remember looking at the veteran QBs in the room with a ‘what is happening right now?’ look on my face, but I could tell by their reactions that this was just a normal thing.

Tyler Bruggman, 2013: One of the quarterbacks at Texas Tech took notes on Leach’s stories, and he would quote Leach but he wouldn’t say the F word and he wouldn’t write the F word. He left his notebook behind one day and somehow Leach got a hold of it and was looking at it, so the next day in the meeting he said, “I want you to get up on the board and write the word ‘f***.’”

I do. I’ll checkout that story. I like what Brody Miller does with LSU stories. His piece on Sullivan was topnotch.

Those two quotes barely scratch the surface. I'm waiting for the 30 for 30 on Leach and the Air Raid offense...

Apodaca: I remember I threw a pick or something, and I remember asking him what coverage that play is good against. And he goes, “Well, you should have just thrown it to this forking guy because he’s standing there wide-arse open.”

Halliday: I said to Leach, “What do I need to do to get the ball there on time?” He was like, “Well, just throw it to the guy who’s forking open.” I was like, “Yeah, no, I get that dude, but what do you want me to do to get there quicker?” And he was like, “I don’t give a sheet what you do. Just throw it to the guy who’s forking open.”

:hysterical::yelrotflmao:

And now there's one about Coach Eaux. So awesome.

Gallman: One time knocked his false tooth out. He just straight-up jacked himself in the jaw and spit his tooth out and kept talking. It was like, “Holy sheet. Did that just happen?” He’s just steady talking and we’re just looking at the tooth on the floor like, “Wait, what?”

Moore: I don’t know if that’s been something he’s been doing for a while, but he seems very comfortable taking a fist to the chin. I mean, it works.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom