Who in the Local Media Do the Best Job of Covering, and Providing Analysis on, the Saints? (1 Viewer)

Like others have said:Underhill, Triplett, Deuce, and Ross.

I have just had access to a number of recent articles by Underhill. Of those covering the team, he remains overall the most optimistic regarding the team's chances in 2023 if the team can find a quarterback and seems especially eager to consider a trade for Derek Carr. I have not seen or heard anything from Underhill stating that the April trade with Philadelphia was a mistake.

I have just had access to a number of recent articles by Underhill. Of those covering the team, he remains overall the most optimistic regarding the team's chances in 2023 if the team can find a quarterback and seems especially eager to consider a trade for Derek Carr.
Not trying to pick a fight here, but I think you're just biased against him for some reason and are reading the wrong things into what he's writing.

He wrote this in his article today:

"In a vacuum, we hear Derek Carr wouldn’t say no to New Orleans. That doesn’t necessarily mean anything, and teams still can’t reach out to the quarterback, but the fit would make some sense. The cost in terms of dollars and draft picks may not."

And somehow in your mind that equates to his seeming "...especially eager to consider a trade for Carr."

As for being the "most optimistic regarding the team's chances in 2023", he recently wrote this, which I'd hardly call optimistic about anything beyond a division title in a very bad division:

"The Saints exist in a weird place, in a weird division with a weird path forward.

If you squint, you can see the makings of a playoff team, a team that isn’t far off, a team that could have easily won the NFC South with even just a little bit of injury luck. But none of those things happened, and New Orleans managed to rally its way to seven wins by going on a winning streak against the Falcons, Browns and the Gardner Minshew-led Eagles.

So should that leave this team optimistic or pessimistic? Should they invest in this roster and try to make the necessary moves to get over the hump or be realistic about where they exist, endure the bumps and bruises, accept whatever happens next season and gear up for a stronger run in 2024?

There aren’t good answers to any of those questions, and it seems likely the team will split the difference again and try to live in both places simultaneously. You can make that choice when an eight-win team just won your division, and the only good quarterback is probably on his way out of town.

Last year, we called this approach a competitive reload. This year, it’s probably more like a competitive rebuild...."

My favorite thing about Underhill is he doesn't jump on hot takes and push narratives. Trip is similar but more prone to emotional responces. This doesn't mean they always support the organization. It's just usually a more balanced view point. I dropped watching and supporting guys like Masconna, Windham and Happy Hour because they would just pick an opinion and drive it home.

You are eventually going to disagree with any journalist if you like to form your own opinions. If their practice is to push their own narratives its gonna cause problems. Thats just how I like my news anyway. Balanced and pure as possible. If you are going to speculate it needs to be thorough and cover all the bases.

Last edited:
Me, Eric Asher, State of the Saints Podcast, The Sports Coma with Big Q, NOF, Jeff Novak

I really got turned off when I responded to a tweet he put out regarding (I can’t remember, maybe it was DA, or maybe it was Jameis), and he fired back with a snide remark, and then the folks who follow him started chiming in.
Hell hath no fury like El Caliente scorned. Now we see. ;)

So back to the OP's question, who do you like? Who are the "true prophets" if Nick is a false one?

Hell hath no fury like El Caliente scorned. Now we see. ;)

So back to the OP's question, who do you like? Who are the "true prophets" if Nick is a false one?
I have no problem listening to Tripp or Nick, like I have no problem listening to any Saints talk. I won’t fault anyone for paying to listen to him, some folks like to hear commentary on the latest happenings in WWE, who am I to judge?

I don’t think anyone is a true “prophet” (acting independent with no agenda to drive). I don’t trust any podcasters who aren’t simply breaking down plays. Once you get beyond that, and into the “insider” realm, you are just dealing with guys who are a carrying water. Woj and Shams do it in basketball. Schefter and others do it in the NFL. Nick happens to do it for the Saints.

With that said, I enjoy Tripp, Ross, Nick, and others, but I’m not taking any of their opinions (outside of X’s and O’s) seriously.

Last edited:
I really got turned off when I responded to a tweet he put out regarding (I can’t remember, maybe it was DA, or maybe it was Jameis), and he fired back with a snide remark, and then the folks who follow him started chiming in. He didn’t refute what I had said, he just made a flippant comment, and none of his acolytes refuted it either (they just regurgitated things that they had heard or read from Nick in the past). I’ll follow him on Twitter still (as I enjoy most anyone’s Saints content), but if he says something that doesn’t make sense, I’ll respond to his tweet, and then put a metal strainer on my head and duck for cover.

This is my main issue with Nick. He has pretty much turned into Kevin Durant on Twitter. The cynicism and snarky responses every time someone doesn't agree with what he wrote comes off very childish.

This is my main issue with Nick. He has pretty much turned into Kevin Durant on Twitter. The cynicism and snarky responses every time someone doesn't agree with what he wrote comes off very childish.
I will say this about Nick, he has thick skin. I’ve only been blocked by two folks on Twitter, Brian Bienemy (because I told him it was foolish to think that the Saints could trade for Xavier Howard), and Geoff Schwartz because I kept mocking him when he would mention Taysom’s contract.

I’ve never been rude or short with Nick (because he doesn’t deserve that), but when I have challenged his takes he responded with his take (he didn’t block me). That tells you about the quality of person he is.

I will say this about Nick, he has thick skin. I’ve only been blocked by two folks on Twitter, Brian Bienemy (because I told him it was foolish to think that the Saints could trade for Xavier Howard), and Geoff Schwartz because I kept mocking him when he would mention Taysom’s contract.

I’ve never been rude or short with Nick (because he doesn’t deserve that), but when I have challenged his takes he responded with his take (he didn’t block me). That tells you about the quality of person he is.

I forgot all about Brian since the first Tyrann Mathieu fiasco all those years ago lol.

When someone says my opinions about a particular writer or commentator are the product of bias, rather than fundamental disagreement, I take issue. Please debate my opinions and avoid speculating on motivations for those opinions. And I am not interested in quoting or citing every article that Nick Underhill has written or every podcast he has participated in that may prove my points--especially since the articles and podcasts are on a subscriber-only website.

I remember listening the other day to a podcast with Underhill and Triplett where Underhill was decidedly more supportive of the Saints obtaining Carr. Yes, Underhill articulated caveats with obtaining Carr, but he clearly favored the Saints obtaining Carr, even at the cost of a high draft pick, more than Triplett.

Do you know of another reporter who has been more supportive of the current regime than Underhill? I do not.

He has favored from the beginning the idea of continuity for the Saints organization going forward. He favored Dennis Allen being named head coach. I do not remember him being critical of the Saints' efforts to sign Deshaun Watson. He was supportive of the Saints trade with Philadelphia in early April 2022, which was almost universally denounced by the national media. He gave glowing reports of the team during training camp (he was not the only one). I do not remember remember him being unabashedly critical of Mickey Loomis. He has not expressed the concern that others have expressed regarding the coaching-staff losses we have experienced in recent weeks. And yes, with caveats, he seems to favor the Saints trading for Derek Carr much more than most.

I don't know Nick Underhill, and the reason I first subscribed to his website was the hope to meet him at the social events for those who signed up at a certain level. And I we welcome the chance to personally visit with him--this is not personal. I just believe that Nick is overly supportive, and fundamentally wrong in his view, of current team management, which I think is at best misguided and more harshly incompetent. And yes, that includes Mickey Loomis as general manager and Dennis Allen as head coach.

Any the motivation for my opinions is that I attended the first game in Tulane Stadium in 1967, that I had youth season tickets for several years thereafter, that I had season tickets from 1986 through 1997 and from 2002 through 2022. I proudly gave up my season tickets when Mike Ditka was hired and bought them again after Haslett's first season. I am admittedly often wrong, but I was right about Ditka, and I fear I am right about Loomis without Payton and Dennis Allen.

Last edited:
Ross Jackson Locked on Saints. No subscription required.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom