Who is better? Emmanuel Ogbah Vs. Noah Spence (1 Viewer)

Who would you rather have?

• Total voters

Jive Saint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not a savvy guy and I know my questions are better than my answers. Lol.

After watching highlights and doing a little reading I can't understand why Emmanuel Ogbah is rated below Noah Spence.

Who is better and which would you rather have?

Spence has more moves and technical skills. But Ogbah is a physically superior player who was very productive.

Ogbah is probably the player I most think we should take at 12. But not necessarily who I most want or think we will take.

The more I've researched I think Ogabah has the highest upside of any DE in this draft. Visa and Lawson are more polished but Ogabah has an incredible ceiling.

Spence has more moves and technical skills. But Ogbah is a physically superior player who was very productive.

Ogbah is probably the player I most think we should take at 12. But not necessarily who I most want or think we will take.

Spence can take the edge quicker..... Ogbah can bully the edge and will likely be more of a contributor in run defense than Spence will ever be but he'll never likely be able to win the edge in 2-3 steps like Spence can. Both have stiff hips (Spence is not a bender) but Spence has good feet and he doesn't get pushed off his rush...so once he wins the edge and gets his feet turned toward the QB he's going to close the distance.

Just depends on what you'll be asking them to do. If you want a speed guy off the edge you take Spence, if you want a power guy off the edge you go with Ogbah (though his pass rush move list is smaller he has the ability to win with speed to power better than Spence can at this point.)

If I were running an Under Front with a smallish 3Tech next to the jack I'd be looking at Ogbah. Since we are running an Over with a NT next to the Jack then the smaller quicker guy makes more sense.

Spence can take the edge quicker..... Ogbah can bully the edge and will likely be more of a contributor in run defense than Spence will ever be but he'll never likely be able to win the edge in 2-3 steps like Spence can. Both have stiff hips (Spence is not a bender) but Spence has good feet and he doesn't get pushed off his rush...so once he wins the edge and gets his feet turned toward the QB he's going to close the distance.

Just depends on what you'll be asking them to do. If you want a speed guy off the edge you take Spence, if you want a power guy off the edge you go with Ogbah (though his pass rush move list is smaller he has the ability to win with speed to power better than Spence can at this point.)

If I were running an Under Front with a smallish 3Tech next to the jack I'd be looking at Ogbah. Since we are running an Over with a NT next to the Jack then the smaller quicker guy makes more sense.

Cameron Jordan played that position last year. He isn't a speed guy and he was killer. I love the idea of grabbing Ogbah. Then we have two complete DE's and the ability to bring in Kikaha as a 3rd down pass rusher.

Plus with Ogbah we have the ability to run some under fronts b/c he is capable of fitting into both.

From what I've watched of the 2 Ogabah actually seems to be marginally the quicker of the 2.

I noticed this also.

Ogbah is going to be the best pass rusher from this draft. I've watched him a lot and he is constantly redirecting plays and creating havoc even when he doesn't get the sack.

He is high effort and very athletic. Had the best 10 yard split at the combine and is now my favorite for us at #12. He feels like the right guy.

Last year we put a premium on high effort playmakers in the draft. Ogbah fits that mold perfectly. Plus he has rare athletic traits that give him a high ceiling.

He's my RB David Johnson for this year.

With a good DC, Ogbah should be the better player. He's as athletic as you'll see in a 275 pound man and he has Groot arms. The thing is, idk if we have the defensive staff to get the most out of him. It's hard to say that as a true fan, but it's true.. We may be better off drafting a guy who's technique is already well refined.

Ogbah has a much higher ceiling IMO, but a much lower floor. He could be Aldon Smith 2.0, or never have his name called once. Spence, as long as he keeps his head on straight, I think can be a good -- not great -- player. Probably won't make a ton of pro bowls, but he'll grade out positively across the board. Like a less athletic Bruce Irvin.

I do almost always go by the empirical data over scouting, but Ogbah looked like a big loser against Ole Piss. His numbers potential for the NFL are great, but he is a big oof sometimes and I don't think those numbers account for some of his half-*** laziness

EDIT
I didn't vote, but @12 my order (or guess would be) between:

1. Rankins
2. Conklin
3. Ogbah

I have been going back and forth over the two for awhile. Well to be honest I've liked Ogbah for a while but have been open to the Spence argument. One thing that stood out to me was Spence's average stats he put up as a Jr. compared to his Sr. When he faced much less competition. I think spence could be a better pass rusher, with a complimentary set of moves. Ogbah seem to me of just a bully without as many moves, something that can be taught. But I feel Ogbah is a better all round DE.

My favorite thing about Ogbah is how he wasn't banned from playing football in the Big Ten Conference and then try to show how much he matured by getting arrested for public drunkenness and throwing empties and busting them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom