Who is funnier, Ben or Jerry Stiller? (1 Viewer)

Who is funnier?

• Ben Stiller

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Jerry Stiller

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Amy Stiller

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Tacoes Stiller

Votes: 15 24.2%

• Total voters
Never understood the Ben Stiller hate
My guess is that since he often plays either an Everyman doofus or dbag butt of the joke, people wind up disliking him bc they dislike the characters

That's possible. I can't help but feel that he plays those roles because that's who he really is. But that doesn't change whether his is funny or not.

I mean, he's actually an okay actor, but I have just never found Ben himself to be funny. Funny things happen around him. Which is why I think whoever said that he is a straight man was right. He's a good straight man, but he can't really pull off being the funny guy. It just comes off jerky. But he has been in several movies that are actually pretty funny.

That's possible. I can't help but feel that he plays those roles because that's who he really is. But that doesn't change whether his is funny or not.

I mean, he's actually an okay actor, but I have just never found Ben himself to be funny. Funny things happen around him. Which is why I think whoever said that he is a straight man was right. He's a good straight man, but he can't really pull off being the funny guy. It just comes off jerky. But he has been in several movies that are actually pretty funny.
so in stage combat, the responsibility of 'selling' the hit is on the receiver of the hit
comedy is similar - the reaction is just as important as the delivery
think about Bud Abbot - not a 'funny' guy, but certainly helped sell Costello's jokes (that skill is certainly more important for stage than screen - the early comedy teams were vaudeville performers and brought that skill to movies)

but consider this - Ben Stiller made Robert Deniro funny (read that sentence again and put the 'is ben stiller funny' question to bed)

so in stage combat, the responsibility of 'selling' the hit is on the receiver of the hit
comedy is similar - the reaction is just as important as the delivery
think about Bud Abbot - not a 'funny' guy, but certainly helped sell Costello's jokes (that skill is certainly more important for stage than screen - the early comedy teams were vaudeville performers and brought that skill to movies)

but consider this - Ben Stiller made Robert Deniro funny (read that sentence again and put the 'is ben stiller funny' question to bed)

I didn't think those meet the parents movies were funny and,to the extent Deniro was funny, it was writing that did that. Come to think of it, I saw Deniro in that terrible movie Bad Grampa or something like that. The movie was terrible, but Deniro was funny, even without Ben Stiller. Different strokes I guess.

But, even if we assume Ben is a guy that makes other people funny, that doesn't make Ben funny.

just finished watching tropic thunder for the, fork umpteenth time, i don't even know, fourth thousandth time.

this sheet is a classic.
HyMqW4W.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom