Who is our best defensive player? (1 Viewer)

I find it odd that PFF graded Harper/Jenkins the worst safeties in the league, but also graded Lofton/Vilma among the worst MLB's in the league, yet everyone bashes Harper/Jenkins because of their grades yet give Lofton/Vilma a pass.

Pretty simple question with what is probably a pretty tough answer.

I could make a case for Lofton, Cam and Junior. In the new scheme somebody like Martez Wilson, Braylon Broughton or Tyrann Walker could really emerge.

In the past Greer and Harper could have been considered but the way they played last season it is hard to even accept them as starters.

Hicks played great as a rookie but is still very raw and delivers no pass rush. He could very well end up being our best defensive player but I don't think he is there yet.

As we saw all too well with Haslett, just cuz you're very big and very fast doesn't mean you know how to PLAY the game of football. (Going Very Fast to the WRONG PLACE doesn't gain you anything.)

I'm not too impressed with ANY of the D players as being PLAYMAKERS much less GAME CHANGERS!

In no particular order, I'd put Vilma, Jenkins and Harper at the top with Lofton and Cameron not too far behind.

So, who's the next "Sharper" for the secondary and who's the next Dome Patroller and who's the next Wayne Martin or Doug Atkins???

[sigh]

Quddus, Galette, and Hicks did work whenever they were on the field. Bunkley did exactly what was asked of him.

Even though Jordan led our defensive line in sacks his pass rush was inconsistent. There were some series or games where he tore up and others where he wasn't doing much. Pretty much exactly what you expect from a LDE so as a starter he was our best player. He really is the best fit as a 3-4 DE.

Quddus, Galette, and Hicks did work whenever they were on the field. Bunkley did exactly what was asked of him.

Even though Jordan led our defensive line in sacks his pass rush was inconsistent. There were some series or games where he tore up and others where he wasn't doing much. Pretty much exactly what you expect from a LDE so as a starter he was our best player. He really is the best fit as a 3-4 DE.

Ive read posts where Junior was graded effective as a passrusher (combined hurries, hits and sacks), given the short time he was on the field in '12. I can say that he was a lil raw comin in, and was a lil undersized as a 4-3 DE. I can say he always had a good motor, never gave up, and did his best whenever he got the chance.

IMO, for all of the knocks against him, it was Greg Williams who worked Junior hard since he came to the Saints (and GW was never fond of rooks) to make him a smarter, better, every down DE.....and a better football player.

The level of growth and development varies with the individual player. I think Junior has slowly grown, developed, and matured as an NFL player. He has a better knowledge, understanding and respect for the game. The best part is that Junior is still young; he'll turn 25 next month.

The question now is, can Junior play WOLB? IMO, like Cam at DE, Junior is the best fit at WOLB in the 3-4.

Our best defensive player? That's like asking which piece of crap in my cat's litter box smells the best.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom