who is our hit the whole bruiser now that bell is out (2 Viewers)

Duncan is pretty reliable and I'm sure he didn't make up the diagnosis on his own. I'm sure he got a preliminary diaganosis from a team doctor. There are knee tests that any provider can perform that can assess a ligament sprain that don't require an MRI. The imaging tests will just confirm what the doctors already feel is the diagnosis. All we can hope for at this point is that it's not WORSE than what's being reported.

no.

This reporting on Twitter tweets as "facts" is getting really old, really fast. Bell is going in for an MRI tomorrow. Let's see what the professionals say about it and not some reporter.

Sprains are relatively easy to diagnose. The trainers can tell a likely sprain versus a ligament tear. I think Duncan reported that the "word" was a sprain, likely from the trainers, but an MRI would confirm full extent on Monday.

So you're right that it isn't confirmed, and there is a slight chance that it is something less serious (perhaps a bruise), and less likely, the chance that it is worse - like a tear - which we probably would have seen a more serious reaction from Bell.

It's most likely a sprain, and as Duncan said, those can be 2 weeks if minor, or up to 6 weeks if more severe. That's general knowledge; we're really not out on a limb here.

Duncan is pretty reliable and I'm sure he didn't make up the diagnosis on his own. He probably got a preliminary diagnosis from a team doctor. The imaging tests will just confirm what the doctors already feel is the diagnosis. All we can hope for at this point is that it's not WORSE than what's being reported.

Duncan is still a reporter. When I broke my back, I went to a doctor for a diagnosis, not a reporter. The EMT who put me on the gurney using a backboard and neck brace made a "preliminary diagnosis," too, but I didn't know what the *real* diagnosis was until a doctor made it. An EMT is much more reliable than even a reliable reporter, but no one starts treatment without getting a preliminary diagnosis confirmed.

I am not saying that he doesn't have the injury that Duncan "reported" on, but I frankly despise Twitter and all of its banal tweeting. I don't view it as a benefit to society.

PJ Hill. If you need a bruiser then he's your man.

If Bell cant go it will be PT and Hamilton will probably be activated...lets not forget PT packs a pretty good punch when he runs the ball, had good leg drives and good in the passing game...there will be no significant drop in production with PT out there, we might be better because he is a threat in the passing game...can play both Reggie and PT at the same time.

Duncan is still a reporter. When I broke my back, I went to a doctor for a diagnosis, not a reporter. The EMT who put me on the gurney using a backboard and neck brace made a "preliminary diagnosis," too, but I didn't know what the *real* diagnosis was until a doctor made it. An EMT is much more reliable than even a reliable reporter, but no one starts treatment without getting a preliminary diagnosis confirmed.

I am not saying that he doesn't have the injury that Duncan "reported" on, but I frankly despise Twitter and all of its banal tweeting. I don't view it as a benefit to society.

Did you know that the Saints have team doctors and trainers who make themselves available for the media for injury updates? That's where Duncan gets his information from. If Duncan didn't "tweet" it, he would have written it in a blog or column or whatever else reporters do to disseminate information. It seems like your frustration is misplaced. I could see aiming it at the Saints doctors or trainers for releasing the information at all, but I don't know how Duncan is at fault.

But a knee sprain isn't a terribly complicated diagnosis to make. I could diagnose that when I was a newly minted medic in the Army 7 years ago. The imaging isn't going to rule out a sprain. It's just going to rule out more serious injury.

Heath Evans has been the emergency back in New England when their runningbacks were injured. We could give him some carries in short yardage, running the clock out, keeping defenses honest and such. Use a runningback by committee approach. I wonder how long Bell we be out. Wouldnt want Heath to get more than 8 to 10 carries because that would suck if he got injured.

He looks even faster and more agile the past 2 games than he did in this video, very athletic for a man that is 250 pounds.
<object width="425" height="344">alot of these carries were to run out the clock, which means the box is stacked, im sure he could do much more if defenses are worried drew burning them.

funny thing is, most of these carries are against the Bills, the same team we are facing next week, should be interesting on how Payton approaches this.
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WdJ79rJ4QXA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Last edited:
I could see aiming it at the Saints doctors or trainers for releasing the information at all, but I don't know how Duncan is at fault.

Because Twitter allows for instant gratification and permits disseminating information quickly, without confirmation or research. It is lazy reporting, which is poor reporting. It leads to bad information and hours, if not days of misinformed hysteria for the fans. Not everyone enjoys any of the above.

But a knee sprain isn't a terribly complicated diagnosis to make. I could diagnose that when I was a newly minted medic in the Army 7 years ago. The imaging isn't going to rule out a sprain. It's just going to rule out more serious injury.

I agree, but it is irresponsible to report on any kind of injury without confirmation. It makes our coaches and even our medical staff look bad. If Duncan tweets that it's a sprain and it's a tear, anyone can make anything out of it, particularly the conspiracy theorists who believe that the coaching staff lies about the severity of injuries. Sometimes it's better--and more responsible--reporting to DO YOUR JOB and write what is factual and not what is rumored.

I am a writer, so this kind of irresponsible laziness really irritates me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom