Who is the CB the board most covets? (1 Viewer)

Which is the most coveted CB

• Domique-Rogers-Cromartie

Votes: 53 36.3%
  • Leodis McKelvin

Votes: 52 35.6%
  • Aquib Talib

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Mike Jenkins

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Antoine Cason

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • other (name him)

Votes: 16 11.0%

• Total voters

David Robbins

Ole Miss Rocks!
Reaction score
We must come out of this draft with a CB. This class is really deep at this position, so we could take one in either the 1st or 2nd round.

looking at the predictable results but I still feel that Talib will be a star.

Terry Porter CB Indiana

I think McKelvin is the top rated corner, but I think he won't be available for us. However, I don't see a big drop between the first and the fifth corner taken. It may all depend on other factors as their play in special teams, their interviews and the scheme they are used to play.

I think McKelvin is the top rated corner, but I think he won't be available for us. However, I don't see a big drop between the first and the fifth corner taken. It may all depend on other factors as their play in special teams, their interviews and the scheme they are used to play.

Will a decent one be left on the board by the time we get around to our second pick though? There's the dilema I see. I'm still in favor of moving down (barring a slide by Ellis to around 6 or 7 where we'd be in a postition to move up instead) and getting more picks and one of those top 4 to 5 CB's. I realize that you need a willing partner to trade and the fact that CB hasn't really been alluded to by the FO leads me to think that most everyone is hiding their intentions and using some misinformation to "dust the trail".

Will a decent one be left on the board by the time we get around to our second pick though? There's the dilema I see. I'm still in favor of moving down (barring a slide by Ellis to around 6 or 7 where we'd be in a postition to move up instead) and getting more picks and one of those top 4 to 5 CB's. I realize that you need a willing partner to trade and the fact that CB hasn't really been alluded to by the FO leads me to think that most everyone is hiding their intentions and using some misinformation to "dust the trail".

To be honest, I don't know, and not for not trying.

If you remember last year's draft, the run for the corners started on the second half of the draft, where the play-off teams pick. For that reasons, these teams picks more depending of their general board than a position of need. Depending on how high they rank the corners I can see 6 corners going between picks #20 and 40. I wouldn't be surprised to see the "elite" corners gone before we pick.

The question may be: how close are Porter, Thomas, Godfrey, Lee, Molden, etc to McKelvin, DRC, Jenkins, Talib, Cason, and Smith?

Mike Jenkins. Prototype size for man coverage. McKelvin's stock is high because he can return kicks. A dangerous proposition. Like the Ted Ginn Jr of cornerbacks. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is athletic but hasn't displayed the natural ability to be a corner, certainly not 10th overall. I actualy like Reggie Smith behind Jenkins

"Widely considered a top three talent available in the Draft, Jenkins has the size, speed and skills to become an impact player in his rookie season.

Mike Jenkins-
What more can I say about Jenkins that most scouts haven't already said? He's truly a special player, with great ball skills with speed to burn. He can be a lock down corner, and with his body type, can be very physical as well. Throughout his career at USF he has been left alone on an island and has shut down the best receivers to line up opposite him. Early in his career I thought his hands were suspect, but much of that has changed the last two seasons. I attribute that to his fantastic work ethic and dedication to consistently improving every aspect of his game. Another display of his versatile talent is when he took his first kick-off return 100 yards for a score against Cincinnati, and finished the game by setting a USF single game record with 192 kickoff return yards against the Bearcats.".

Former NFL Scout Tom Marino believes Jenkins is the best corner available in the Draft. Ranked with a "D" grade - the mark saved for players who are expected to become "Champions" at the next level. Jenkins is the rare breed of talent that comes along once in a blue moon: the Ty Law, Champ Bailey type of players who are expected to do great things in the pros for a long time.

Marino's scouting notes confirm the top draft ranking he's been given.

"A shutdown corner with adequate size and outstanding quickness. Has race horse speed, a very smooth compact [player], explosive hips and the ability to stick his foot in the ground and close [on] the ball" Mariono calls Jenkins a "special player" and a "potential lottery selection."

Marino ranks Troy's Leodis McKelvin and Kansas' Aqib Talib slightly behind Jenkins as the No. 2 and No. 3 corners available. However, neither player earns the coveted "D" grade, indicating that they'll be good players at the next level, but don't have the same level of expectation to become exceptional.

With the seventh overall selection, and the Jets or even the Rams expected to take the linebacker the Patriots want ahead of them, Jenkins could very well become the Patriots' next first round draft pick.

Scout.com: Patriots Serious About USF DBs

Before last year's college season, Cason was the number one player that I wanted on the Saints. While his speed numbers have given me some concern and make me believe he may never be an elite corner, I still believe he will become the most consistent and reliable corner coming out of this year's draft. McKelvin may be the best CB this year, I don't know -- he may just be a pretty good return guy and a sub-package corner -- and DRC is a big boom/bust guy. Since the question is "which one do we most covet," I still want Cason -- a guy I think will be a steady, reliable starter for 10+ years.

Before last year's college season, Cason was the number one player that I wanted on the Saints. While his speed numbers have given me some concern and make me believe he may never be an elite corner, I still believe he will become the most consistent and reliable corner coming out of this year's draft. McKelvin may be the best CB this year, I don't know -- he may just be a pretty good return guy and a sub-package corner -- and DRC is a big boom/bust guy. Since the question is "which one do we most covet," I still want Cason -- a guy I think will be a steady, reliable starter for 10+ years.

I agree, Richard. Cason is really impressive when you see him on film. If I had to rank the CB's this is how I would do it:

1. DRC
2. Mike Jenkins
3. Antoine Cason
4. Aquib Talib
5. Leodis McKelvin (I don't like him as a CB, but as a return man he is special)
6. Terry Porter

DRC has the most potential that is untapped. Jenkins has character issues. Cason has the talent to be a star.

Jenkins does not appear to be a Payton player from what I have read.

At ten if we had to take a corner, McKelvin.
At forty(or whatever the second is), Talib if he is still there. I like big, fast corners, he reminds me of Troy Vincent.

I like DR's post the other day. Trade down with the beagles and you end up with Cason and Shephard.

DRC is a long term project and McKelvin doesn't make the INT. Mike Jenkins is the one I want...

I like DR's post the other day. Trade down with the beagles and you end up with Cason and Shephard.

We don't have the roster space for two more CB's. Its already a risk drafting one because if he doesn't beat out Craft he could be cut, or if he does hes likely inactive all season with Young, MM, David, and Gay on the active roster.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom