Who is the one player you absolutely do not want at #10?... (1 Viewer)

Um, what? That would be the same offense that has ranked 1st and 5th the last two years.

it went from 1st to 5th in 1 year, Deuce is coming off another injury, those players are each a year older. slower, but hopefully more wily.

You have to count the UFA"s as not part of the team, untill and if they re-sign them.
some should be, some shouldnt' be. they can be upgraded.
If you dont' improve, the others pass you up. cause they sure as heck going to try to improve.

With the consensus saying this draft is 8 deep for elite talent...tell me who you would pick at 10 that isn't somewhat of a reach at this point pre-combine. After Long, Long, Ellis, Dorsey, McFadden and Gholston.....you could argue everyone else is a reach until pick 15.

that is sooooooo true.

i dont care who we pick offense or defense as long as they become great players for the saints and help us win the superbowl. but if i had to pick one person it would be kenny phillips at #10 anyone else would be an on defense would likely be an up grade.

The Saints need a starter at DT, CB, or LB with the pick. The don't need a situational backup at a position where two of their best defenders are.

I'm sure the Giants might contend that, but here's the argument:

1st and foremost, Gholston is considered, by and large, to be a top-5 prospect in this draft and one of the few blue chippers, along with Chris Long, Ellis, Dorsey and McFadden. His strength, speed and athleticism and technique make him a nightmare to match up against. Now, on to the alternatives:

DT: Suppose Ellis and Dorsey are gone; that leaves Kentwan Balmer. If he were to be the pick, it seems that 80% of this forum's members would erupt with mutinous rage. (Count me as part of the minority, BTW.)

LB: I will scream this until I am blue in the face: WE DO NOT NEED TO GO LB IN THE 1ST ROUND! 2nd round is THE place to take a LB: David Harris, Lofa Tatupu, Paul Posluszny, Rocky McIntosh, Thomas Howard, DeMeco Ryans, Barrett Ruud, Karlos Dansby, Boss Bailey, E.J. Henderson, Kawika Mitchell, Mike Peterson, Victor Hobson and on and on and on... ALL 2nd round picks. This year is unusually deep at LB; we could get Shawn Crable, Curtis Lofton, Phillip Wheeler or a half-dozen other guys at the #41 spot. Quality starters.

CB: Yes, we do need a CB, but are any of them as valuable as Gholston? There's DRC, who has high upside; Leodis McKelvin, also a high-ceiling prospect. Mike Jenkins, Aqib Talib, too. Nothing wrong with taking a CB; that's what I think we should do, but over Gholston? Here's why I'd take Gholston over a CB:

*Gholston is simply a better player. While he's considered a top-5 pick, the CBs are pretty much projected to go in the 15-25 range.

*Pass-rushers are a premium position, more than CBs. The positional value chart goes QB, LT, pass-rusher, CB. So you've got a better player at a more important position.

*"Best defenders"? Charles Grant had 2.5 sacks last year; Will Smith had 7. Yeah, if we can find a better way to get sacks, we had better do so. Grant is good against the run, but he's never been a special pass-rusher. We could use him on running downs or slide him to DT.

*You can never have too many pass-rushers; I think the Giants proved this when their adequate secondary, aided by their ferocious pass-rush, won the Super Bowl, while a team with one of the NFL's most talented secondaries, the Oakland Raiders, had one of the worst records in the NFL for the 2nd straight year. It's like Mike Tyson says: "Everyone has a strategy until they get punched in the face."

Plain and simple: Much like a great offensive line can make an average RB put up gaudy numbers, a great pass-rush can make for a great pass defense, and make the job of the secondary that much easier. No matter how good your secondary is, though, if the QB gets all day in the pocket, a receiver will get open eventually and the QB will pick you apart. Get pressure, get wins. Having 3 pass-rushers to rotate in and out and keep fresh legs is how you maintain pressure for 60 minutes. Pass-rushers are more NFL-ready, and can contribute immediately, whereas a CB will take 3 years to learn.

Jason David won a Super Bowl, with one of the NFL's best pass-defenses. A defense based on QB pressure and a different secondary scheme; learning ours will take time. He still may improve. Usama Young is still in that developmental phase and Mike McKenzie has another 2 or 3 years left in him. Gholston will contribute now and will do so effectively.

FWIW, Loomis has said we will go BPA, no matter what. If Gholston is on the board, he will be the BPA.

p.s. This argument is futile, since he won't be there to begin with.

Gholston would be a steal at 10. I would love to have him if Sedrick Ellis and Glenn Dorsey are gone.

What do you guys think about Antoine Cason?

Last edited:
Gholston would be a steal at 10. I would love to have him if Sedrick Ellis and Glenn Dorsey are gone.

What do you guys think about Antoine Cason?

i agree with the pick of gholston if sed and glenn are gone. cason is my favorite cornerback in this draft. i really think this kid is the real deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom