Who is the one player you absolutely do not want at #10?... (1 Viewer)

I warmed up to him also, I mean coaches and analyst alike love the kid and we need a DT so why not him?

If you read his draft profiles or hear comments from "experts", the phrases, "inconsistent motor" or "slow to read and react" or "underacheiver", seems to be a recurring theme with him.

Reminds me too much of another DT we drafted a few years ago.

If either Dorsey or Ellis are on the board at 8 and we don't walk away with one I'm going to be p*$$_d

No QB!

We could use upgrades at any other position......O or D.

I would be ok with an offensive player as long as we got someone like Lofton in the second round. But I would prefer to go defense in both the first and second round.

kenny phillips

he was a nobody in college and i have no clue why everyone on this board is so high on him. i would go crazy if we drafted him

He's first on my list too. In the past Safeties from the "U" have been immediate impact players in the pros. The problem for Phillips is they were outstanding college players first not just "slightly better than average" like Phillips. I don't get the love fest here for him.

Two Kentwan Balmer. I think he's an "interesting" prospect. At UNC he supposedly weighed around 285 lb then he weighed in at the Senior Bowl at a "stacked" 308 lb. Balmer dominated early week SB practice but then pulled a hamstring and didn't practice or play. Are his leg problems a warning sign of future problems because of his accelerated weight gain? Interesting isn't worth #10.

DeSean Jackson not only do absolutely not want any offensive I especially don't want Jackson. There are pretty open rumors that Jackson may have attitude issues. The Saints already invested a number one pick at WR no reason to repeat the sins of the past.

I do not want anyone on offense... MAYBE an O-lineman, but that would have to be Jake Long or someone who could have been the #1 pick.

I want DEFENSE!

If you read his draft profiles or hear comments from "experts", the phrases, "inconsistent motor" or "slow to read and react" or "underacheiver", seems to be a recurring theme with him.

Reminds me too much of another DT we drafted a few years ago.

That's why it's important to put quotations when describing the "experts". Remember, these guys aren't pro scouts; they run websites. I trust a few of them to get the basic overview of the player, but I'm sure a lot of them are reading each others sites to fill out their profiles. Mike Mayock: Smart guy, certainly a lot more knowledgeable than 99.9% of draftniks out there, but he's not flawless. Some people take his word as the final word on a player, when that's not the case. He's not a very good evaluator of linemen, for example. He raved about Ryan Kalil, the consensus #1 center. He went in the 2nd round last year and was drafted by Carolina, yet it was Samson Satele, taken with the next pick by the Dolphins, who really put on a clinic last year. This "consensus" opinion between analysts and "experts" is, at this point, wrong.

Mayock put a 2nd round grade on Marcus McNeill, which is where he went, to the Chargers, but he was also arguably the top rookie last year and after Vince Young pooped out this year, already has the inside track as the best player to come out of that draft class, despite being drafted in the 2nd round, way behind the underachieving D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Demeco Ryans, another 2nd rounder last year and the 7th LB taken is head and shoulders above anybody from that class, including top 5 pick A.J. Hawk, a good player in his own right. Do we even need to bring up the argument that Maurice Drew is the best RB taken last year?

How about Kenny Phillips? Mayock gives this guy a 2nd round grade, but many of the "experts" who run these sites seem to think otherwise. So who's right? Even the fans on this site, who were so enamored with Phillips a few weeks ago, have suddenly turned on him. Why? He hasn't played a game or had a public workout in that time, but he's slipping in mocks, so I guess that means he suddenly sucks and before was awesome. Mel Kiper had Balmer going to us at #10, so obviously there's someone out there with experience at evaluating players who thinks this guy might be a good pickup and even the "experts" rave about his athleticism and upside, so, unless you're an expert on North Carolina football, watch all of their games and are a competent evaluator of talent, you should, at least, be open-minded to the idea of us getting him. I know we're talking #10, not #41, but Take a cue from Satele, Ryans and Drew: "Experts'" rankings don't mean a thing... neither does draft position. Balmer will either be an impact player or he will not be an impact player; if he is, then he might end up being worth a top-10 pick. You can't tell until he gets to the pros.

FWIW, I'm not all for it, but I'm not saying I absolutely don't want him because I don't know what kind of pro he'll be and neither does anyone else. DT is clearly an area of need and this guy has some good things going for him, so maybe it's not a bad choice.

BTW, Balmer is NOTHING like Sully. Sully was a lazy fat guy; Balmer is an athletic specimen.

Ballmer or a CB... Ballmer because he's been a career underachiever until it was time to make some money... CB because they will not help much right away, the position is deep, and the bust potential is high.

since iam very sure it will be no DB and no LB in round 1 i fear someone like desean jackson . from the LB i dont want Rivers , i think there is no top 15 talent at LB for our system.

No to Kenny Phillips. I like the guy, but I just don't think safety is the answer for us at 10.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom