Who knows much about the USFL? (2 Viewers)

Trump!

All you really need to know.

The reason the NFL refused to sell him a team numerous times.

I know we had the Breakers, and they went 5-0, then not even have winning season.

No lol Trump on this one.

He was behind the moving the season to the fall from the summer.

He thought the NFL would just take them in like the Afl NFL merger. Failed major.

The blue print was actually a dave Dixon idea to play in the summer and not try to complete.

It was a long shot to in the off-season but head to head they had no chance.

And why it failed?
Not in a position where I can write a lot right now. The short answer is failure to control costs after their first season — Dave Dixon’s plan was for the franchises to grow revenue gradually. A few owners broke ranks by signing players to big ‘personal services’ contracts, leading to an intra-league arms race that most franchises couldn’t withstand.

Trump was not the NJ Generals original owner — he wasn’t the one that sunk money into Herschel Walker, Doug Flutie, etc. Trump WAS the owner, however, who convinced other owners that a move to the fall was viable.

I will say, also, that the ‘United States Football League” article on Wikipedia is very informative and to the point. You’ll get the background in a few minutes.

Yep.

Trump demanded that they move the season and it went downhill after that.

I went to some breakers games and they were okay but never a big crowd.

The USFL had some great players - the Mora era Saints owe a lot to that league, of course. I don't know if it would have remained viable even if they had stuck to the Spring/Summer. I remember the one season the Breakers were here - went to one game, but only because the tickets were free. Decent crowd, but nowhere near capacity. There just wasn't the enthusiasm for "off season" football - people's habits get ingrained pretty deep. Taking on the NFL was a definite mistake - the reason the AFL was able to do so was because they were in markets not reached by the NFL at that time, like Houston, Denver, etc...the USFL would be going directly against the NFL in city after city, and most places cannot support more than one team.

I had season tickets. Offense of the Breakers was light-years beyond Bum Phillips' three yards and artificial turf paint stains.

Coach Coury had a weekly TV show, viewers were invited to send in plays, and one would be run the following week. First time I ever saw jet sweeps run outside HS.

Was it fun? Heck yeah. Breakers were competitive most weeks. Did they capture hearts and minds of the NOLA fan base....um, no. A fun ride for a brief period of time.

Trump was the primary reason it folded. It was a good product that could have lasted. Trump thought the NFL would absorb 2-3 teams including his and sued the NFL. He bankrupted the league with his legal dealings.

I will say, also, that the ‘United States Football League” article on Wikipedia is very informative and to the point. You’ll get the background in a few minutes.
Yes, and I will read it but I wanted to get a quick short-hand handle on it. Thanks!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom