Who knows much about the USFL? (1 Viewer)

If you search online Pearlman has a great series on the top 25 greatest USFL players. Pretty interesting, sorry I don’t have a link. Just search top 25 USFL players. It’s what made me read his book.

Yes it was the league’s life raft in that if they had won the amount of money they were expected to win it would have saved the league. The league was not doing well financially in the spring which is why all the owners agreed to switch to fall. You are trying to lay the majority of blame on Trump. Sounds like a great talking point since most could never name one other owner, unfortunately its simply not the case.

We both agree that had they followed Dixon’s path the league would have been better. They stopped doing that well before Trump and in fact bringing Trump in as one of 2 very wealthy owners was a part of abandoning that path.

He actually ran a decent team and made sure everything was at a high level. He wasn’t afraid to spend his money on the team from what I have read (player amenities, marketing, new jerseys etc...) Can’t say the same for many owners in the league. Compared to the LA Express owner ( the wealthiest owner in the league) he was a Saint and I don’t think players hated playing on his team. The Generals were run way better under Trump than their first owner.

You said Trump was 70% responsible for the league’s ruin. I say he was but one of many problems. The league knew what he was when they brought him on. They abandoned Dixon’s plan before he came around. My points have nothing to do with politics. The USFL proved plenty capable of digging its own grave without Trump no matter how you try and twist it.

Dude really?

Can you find any evidence Trump has ever paid for anything? So did he actually pay for the jerseys? Amenities and so on? Make up stuff if you want.

All I can ever find is him making people sue him to get paid.

Heck I can find more accounts of his foundation paying bills than him.

Oh and don't forget the crap where he lied to reporters on the phone like he was someone else in charge of PR for the team. That whole thing was classic egotistical narcissistic Trump.

Oh and when has a professional franchise had to buy merchandise? They make a deal with someone to market the product to the public. If it was not free it was almost. Sure I believe he was out of pocket buying jerseys like he doesn't have a ton of illegals maintaining the grounds on all the golf courses and scrubbing toilets at the hotels.

Yes the usfl did over pay for NFL talent and it did fold. You are correct.

But Trump sued the NFL. Trying to force his way in.

Trump flipped the switch on the electric chair the league was in. Moving to NFL Sundays without a comparable tv deals was the problem.

The usfl could work out better tv deal not during the NFL season to complete with. Would have limped a more years and then died.

I think the USFL would have failed anyway but Trump’s push to move to the Fall expedited it

Trump!

All you really need to know.

The reason the NFL refused to sell him a team numerous times.
Why in the hell are people dropping Dead Falcons on this post? It’s the truth.

It’s like saying Hitler wasn’t responsible for the Nazi’s poor choices, or Jim Mora’s inability to quit Carl Smith led to wasted years in New Orleans.

I had season tickets. Offense of the Breakers was light-years beyond Bum Phillips' three yards and artificial turf paint stains.

Coach Coury had a weekly TV show, viewers were invited to send in plays, and one would be run the following week. First time I ever saw jet sweeps run outside HS.

Was it fun? Heck yeah. Breakers were competitive most weeks. Did they capture hearts and minds of the NOLA fan base....um, no. A fun ride for a brief period of time.
The Breakers were only here for a year but attendance was very good in comparison to the other teams. They averaged over 30,000 fans and were in the top 6 or 7 in the league in attendance.

The Breakers were only here for a year but attendance was very good in comparison to the other teams. They averaged over 30,000 fans and were in the top 6 or 7 in the league in attendance.
That pretty decent attendance. Optics looked sparse, though, playing in a 70K+ arena. I keep forgetting that they were in NOLA only one year.

Oddly enough, they were in NOLA in 1984 - same year as the World's Fair. And the logos for the Breakers and World's Fair had similar graphics.

download.jpg 46604136ab476b71a2a36f43f27be196.png

And who was the starting quarterback for the New Jersey Generals in their first season? -- Longtime New Orleans Saint and Archie Manning back-up Bobby Scott.

The 30 for 30 was made way before Trump entered politics and had no reason to be bias. If you want to know the truth, watch the 30 for 30. Trump is totally to blame.

The 30 for 30 was made way before Trump entered politics and had no reason to be bias. If you want to know the truth, watch the 30 for 30. Trump is totally to blame.
If they stayed in the spring and the USFL survived, the NBA might not be the number two league in the country.

Trump was the primary reason it folded. It was a good product that could have lasted. Trump thought the NFL would absorb 2-3 teams including his and sued the NFL. He bankrupted the league with his legal dealings.

hasn't the league added 3 teams since the end of the USFL? CLE, JAX and CAR right?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom