Who makes the BEST King Cake??

BigFish_NJ

a Who Dat from NJ!!!
Ratings
Sticky Post
I'm throwing a Black & Gold Superbowl Party and planning on having one shipped up here.

I have never had one before so I will be looking for an "original". So, all my fellow local Who Dats need to direct me to the best one to try.

I'm hearing a lot about Randazzo's... Haydel's... ??

Let me know folks! Thanks in advance...

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Ratings
Domenica is the best, though a bit non-traditional.
Yep. Hands down.

Had a couple brought back after the race last weekend and dad was right.

Nontraditional, but ridiculously good.

I ordered two thinking that's what I'd usually need, but one was far more than enough.

zeetes

yo’ robbie fordz fo lyfe
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Ratings
I just discovered Party Palace in Kenner. Very good in the Randazzos style. If you are looking for something different, try a French bakery such as Maurice's or Chez Pierre.
party palace! i was trying to think of the name earlier. had one at work last week. was really good and i normally don't like white icing king cakes.

Banned #212

GumboYaYa

Very Banned
Ratings
Why the hell are king cakes so expensive?

I'm tired of paying $15-20 for a big cinnamon roll.

And although cheap, I can't do rouses because the fake cinnamon they use ruins it for me.

Banned #213

AstralFlow

Very Banned
Ratings
I'm curious how these places make their King Cake frosting. It is way too thick for it to just be 2tsp of milk and 2 cups of powdered sugar. I can never get my frosting as thick as other places.

mb504

Word.
VIP Contributor
Ratings
Well, Haydel's is including some coffee and jambalaya mix with their cakes ordered online making the deal a little more reasonable.

Not sure why Besh feels this qualifies as "King Cake."

King Cake

That king cake now costs 50 bucks. Wow.

King Cake

Now, if any of you buy one and bring it to some place where I happen to be, I would be happy. But I ain't paying $50 for a king cake.

boutrous

the only way I know how
Ratings
Dong Phuong! Every year, still the best.
One of my guys was telling me about this yesterday. Definitely going to try it this year as I think he is going to bring one in.

Just had Baker's Dozen, and yes, it's a large doughnut. Considering they have the best doughnuts, its was good, but I can get doughnuts all year round. It will probably be the last one I get from there. Going to try Chez Pierre next. I tried to get one a few times when they were in Kenner, but they never had them ready at 7am. Now that the new location is more convienient, I will attempt to get one again.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Ratings
One of my guys was telling me about this yesterday. Definitely going to try it this year as I think he is going to bring one in.

Just had Baker's Dozen, and yes, it's a large doughnut. Considering they have the best doughnuts, its was good, but I can get doughnuts all year round. It will probably be the last one I get from there. Going to try Chez Pierre next. I tried to get one a few times when they were in Kenner, but they never had them ready at 7am. Now that the new location is more convienient, I will attempt to get one again.
I'm still yet to meet someone who doesn't love Dong Phuong's king cake. Let us know how you like it and which one it is. Also, where he gets it from. I get mine from that pizza place in West Lakeview. I don't make it out to the Village much.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.