Who makes the BEST King Cake?? (3 Viewers)

BTW, today 10-4 in Orleans and Jefferson Parish, you can order up to three king cakes from Uber and they will deliver them to you.

I now officially hate all of you. I moved to Houston for work after Mardi Gras this past year, and now I'm on the hunt for a king cake. There isn't anything even close to good out here from what I'm finding searching the net. I'll be back in the area in a few weeks, guess I'm going to have to wait it out.

Randazzo's in Metairie and haydel's both take online orders and deliver next day via FedEx. Might be a little pricey though.

Out here in SoCal, you can get a rosca de reyes for Epiphany, the Mexican version of king cake (complete with a baby), but . . .

Dozens ill after eating Three Kings bread from cockroach-infested O.C. bakery - LA Times

More than 30 people are sick after eating Rosca de Reyes bread, also known as Three Kings bread, distributed by Cholula's Bakery in Santa Ana, the Orange County Health Agency said in a statement. The agency closed the bakery after an investigation revealed traces of cockroach infestation. The cake, which is typically eaten on Jan. 6 to celebrate Three Kings Day, was distributed to stores around Orange County."

So, um, $50 for Haydel's mail order seems like a bargain in comparison. (When PayOrPlay Jr. was still in elementary school, we used to buy one of those for his class every year, as an excuse for him to do a show and tell about his New Orleans heritage.)

I'll be doing a king cake tasting party with a few neighbors next Monday evening. We need king cakes from six different places. Traditional only. Here's what we are getting so far:

Haydels
Randazzos
Tastee
Gambinos

Where should we get the other two from?

I'll be doing a king cake tasting party with a few neighbors next Monday evening. We need king cakes from six different places. Traditional only. Here's what we are getting so far:

Haydels
Randazzos
Tastee
Gambinos

Rouse's and Dorignac's

Haydels
Randazzos
Tastee
Gambinos

Hi Do and Norma's. Currently my two favorites.

Haydels
Randazzos
Tastee
Gambinos

Caluda's (formerly Dianne's) should be one of them (https://www.kingcakeshop.com/). And for something a little different, try Domenica's. Good stuff.

The Randazzo's cake should be from Manny Randazzo's, which makes the best king cakes in the city, with Caluda's and Haydel's close behind.

Haydels
Randazzos
Tastee
Gambinos

Sucre' And Dianne's

Haydels
Randazzos
Tastee
Gambinos

I just discovered Party Palace in Kenner. Very good in the Randazzos style. If you are looking for something different, try a French bakery such as Maurice's or Chez Pierre.

Baked perfectly with just the right amount of cinnamon. The fresh bananas are SO much better than the filling usually found in king cakes. And while the praline icing is delicious, it's a bit overly sweet, and the marscapone cheese offsets that perfectly. A few pecans make it perfect, and the gold leaf, while not adding anything to the flavor, completes the exercise in excess.
You eat them [gold flakes].
...Capdeville has a salted caramel cheesecake and Debbie Does Doberge makes a salted caramel cake as well.
...the guava king cake is killer

god_i_hate_a_fancy_lad_240679690.jpg

Domenica is the best, though a bit non-traditional.

Yep. Hands down.

Had a couple brought back after the race last weekend and dad was right.

Nontraditional, but ridiculously good.

I ordered two thinking that's what I'd usually need, but one was far more than enough.

I just discovered Party Palace in Kenner. Very good in the Randazzos style. If you are looking for something different, try a French bakery such as Maurice's or Chez Pierre.

party palace! i was trying to think of the name earlier. had one at work last week. was really good and i normally don't like white icing king cakes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom