Who makes the BEST King Cake?? (2 Viewers)

Told you! Nobody I know who has tried this cake has ever been disappointed! Did you get a filled cake?

Is this the place with the whipped icing on their king cakes? If so, one of my co-workers brought one to work last week and it was pretty damn good. I hadn't heard of this place before that.

My usual place is Caluda's (used to be Diane Randazzo's, but she had to drop the name).

Is this the place with the whipped icing on their king cakes? If so, one of my co-workers brought one to work last week and it was pretty damn good. I hadn't heard of this place before that.

My usual place is Caluda's (used to be Diane Randazzo's, but she had to drop the name).

Sounds like the same place. The cake isn't even shaped in a circle but is covered in whipped icing?

If so, likely is Dong Phuong.

I'ma come down for the Zulu ball next wk; gonna have to try this Dong Phuong place out. I usually order a Clauda's and call it good.

After reading all the positive remarks about the Dong Phuong king cake, I decided to give it a try today. I have to say, I find nothing special about it. To me, it is simply OK and probably not something I would go out of my way to get again.

Yeah my wife wasn't impressed by the Dong Phuong cake, it's different but still a good cake.

District Donuts has an Italian fig cookie king cake this year. It's pretty freaking good.

I suspect it had something to do with you finally staying during Lent. I can't work out how they're related, though.

The last one I had delivered was from Randazzo's, but the Dong Phuong cake seems like it's pretty popular so I was thinking of trying them out this year. Any recommendations on whether to go with the regular cinnamon or the cream cheese?

I suspect it had something to do with you finally staying during Lent. I can't work out how they're related, though.

might have had something to do with my costume last year
thanos-infinity-gauntlet-1061668-640x320.png

The last one I had delivered was from Randazzo's, but the Dong Phuong cake seems like it's pretty popular so I was thinking of trying them out this year. Any recommendations on whether to go with the regular cinnamon or the cream cheese?

I'm eating a slice of the cream cheese filled right now. If you typically like the cream cheese filled king cakes, I'd get it. But the regular is good too. The one I got is a little light on the filling, but the whipped icing is so good and plentiful that it makes up for it. The dough is so good/soft that it sticks to the plate or napkin you're eating off, so be careful that you don't end up eating some paper if you're eating off a paper napkin or paper towel.

I'm responsible for bringing the king cake for the game on Sunday and couldn't help myself from getting an extra one for myself to keep at home. I bought them right before lunch today and am already on my third slice. Guess I'll be skipping dinner tonight. My grandmother would be so disappointed in me, God rest her soul.

I'm eating a slice of the cream cheese filled right now. If you typically like the cream cheese filled king cakes, I'd get it. But the regular is good too. The one I got is a little light on the filling, but the whipped icing is so good and plentiful that it makes up for it. The dough is so good/soft that it sticks to the plate or napkin you're eating off, so be careful that you don't end up eating some paper if you're eating off a paper napkin or paper towel.

I'm responsible for bringing the king cake for the game on Sunday and couldn't help myself from getting an extra one for myself to keep at home. I bought them right before lunch today and am already on my third slice. Guess I'll be skipping dinner tonight. My grandmother would be so disappointed in me, God rest her soul.

Thanks! Reading this actually made my mouth water.

http://www.wwltv.com/article/entert...ll-have-to-take-a-ticket-to-get-one/513309924

NEW ORLEANS – If you thought Dong Phuong king cakes were a hot ticket item before, now, it’s even crazier.
As of Feb. 1, partners like Pizza Nola in Lakeview will no longer be carrying the cakes. Customers will have to physically visit the bakery on Chef Mentuer Highway and stand in line, or take a number until fresh cakes come out of the bakery. Other partners that will no longer carry the king cakes are Majoria Drugs, Zuppardo's Family Supermarket and Poeyfarre Market.

I shouldn't have told everyone I know how much I love Dong Phong. This sucks, but I understand the decision.

http://www.wwltv.com/article/entert...ll-have-to-take-a-ticket-to-get-one/513309924

NEW ORLEANS – If you thought Dong Phuong king cakes were a hot ticket item before, now, it’s even crazier.
As of Feb. 1, partners like Pizza Nola in Lakeview will no longer be carrying the cakes. Customers will have to physically visit the bakery on Chef Mentuer Highway and stand in line, or take a number until fresh cakes come out of the bakery. Other partners that will no longer carry the king cakes are Majoria Drugs, Zuppardo's Family Supermarket and Poeyfarre Market.

I shouldn't have told everyone I know how much I love Dong Phong. This sucks, but I understand the decision.

Nooooooooo! I wish I knew this 2 days ago, I would have gone get one. Sorry... but I'm not going out to the East, it's too far.

Nooooooooo! I wish I knew this 2 days ago, I would have gone get one. Sorry... but I'm not going out to the East, it's too far.

Yeah, this really sucks. Apparently, they're selling out in the east just as fast as they were at all the distribution locations. They're going to have to figure something out for a better distribution system for next year. People are flocking to the east this year with the James Beard award and people all around the country asking to be sent cakes, but that extra demand probably will die down for next year.

If they are going to make me drive - not just to the east, but the Village - to get their cakes, I'll find another favorite and maybe get just one of theirs per Mardi Gras or something. If they keep the distribution points shut down next year, I really think they'll regret it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom