Who makes the BEST King Cake?? (2 Viewers)

Who has the best king Cake for mailing?

Apparently the best deal is Meche out of Lafayette, and they fry their king cake. I imagine that would make it more like a donut. I haven't had it, but I've heard good things.

Otherwise, they are all super-expensive to mail ($50 or $60 all-in). I'd go with Haydel's.

Apparently the best deal is Meche out of Lafayette, and they fry their king cake. I imagine that would make it more like a donut. I haven't had it, but I've heard good things.

Otherwise, they are all super-expensive to mail ($50 or $60 all-in). I'd go with Haydel's.

Yes, Meche's out of Lafayette is a donut shop and their king cake is a donut king cake.

It is very good but very rich. I grew up on Meche's donuts. Best donuts in lafayette. King cakes are good as well. Just very sweet and rich.

Does rouses make a good cake? Where can i get a decent king cake where the cake is nice and soft with good tasting icing and there's not a 5 mile line of people out the door?

Some people cannot abide a grocery-store king cake.

Myself, I like Rouses king cakes (at least at our local Rouses out here on the West Bank). Sometimes they use too much white icing, but otherwise it is solid.

Overuse of white icing has always been an issue with grocery-store cakes in general. I guess more customers like them that way than not, though.

Meche's started in New Iberia and expanded to Lafayette and BR. Their king cake is a giant donut. Considering they have some of the best donuts I've ever had, their king cake is a very very good donut. Very good. It's not a traditional New Orleans king cake by any means, but it's a damn good treat.

Does rouses make a good cake? Where can i get a decent king cake where the cake is nice and soft with good tasting icing and there's not a 5 mile line of people out the door?

Rouses king cake is basically a giant cinnamon roll. It's OK at best. It's not very fluffy / soft, but the taste isn't bad. Places like PJs and even Danny and Clydes have various Randazzo style (Manny's or Caluda's) and there is usually no line. Also, Chez Pierre has a pretty damn good king cake and the line is not long at all.

Normally go with Haydels but the next ship date is 3 weeks.

Rouses king cake is basically a giant cinnamon roll. It's OK at best. It's not very fluffy / soft, but the taste isn't bad. Places like PJs and even Danny and Clydes have various Randazzo style (Manny's or Caluda's) and there is usually no line. Also, Chez Pierre has a pretty damn good king cake and the line is not long at all.

PJs?

I wanted to try a Dong Phuong last year, but waited too long and by the time I tried to order one they weren't taking mail orders anymore. No problem this year -- I calendared a reminder to order one. Actually got two -- one regular cinnamon and one with cream cheese.

Gotta say, they make a pretty damn good king cake. I ordered a Manny Randazzo a few years ago, which was pretty good, but I'd give the edge to the DP.

Meche's started in New Iberia and expanded to Lafayette and BR. Their king cake is a giant donut. Considering they have some of the best donuts I've ever had, their king cake is a very very good donut. Very good. It's not a traditional New Orleans king cake by any means, but it's a damn good treat.

I love me a Meche's King Cake, I recently had a Mckenzie's king cake that my meat market guy brought up from New Orleans.
It was good, but definitely not what I was used to after eating so many Meche's.
I tried one last year that was made like a Mckenzie's but had a layer of cream cheese below the typical icing.....holy crap that was good. No idea who made it.

Wow. These things are 40-50 bakes for the cake. Are they crazy?

I hope these are just internet-based prices to make extra money. Please don't tell me residents are actually paying 40 bucks a pop to have king cake. Don't get me wrong, I love me some king cake....but $40 is insane.

I"d give you $40 for 2 pieces of that Domenica King cake with the chocolate and gold right now.

Had a bunch of dong phuong’s last year. Good but definitely not worth the trouble; going na east, parking, waiting in line.... it’s too much trouble.
If you can get one from one of their local outlets, it’s worth it.
Still not my favorite though.

I don’t eat any king cakes anymore but if forced to eat one and only one, it’d be sucre.

And fwiw, the McKenzie king cake never was anygood

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom