Who on Saints' roster will not be playing due to COVID-19 ? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Saw where Donovan Smith, the Bucs starting left tackle, has misgivings about playing during COVID -19 pandemic. Who do you think on the Saints roster will also forgo this season due to the pandemic?

Very random question here. Maybe some member up-to-date on medical stuff can answer.

Can't anti-bodies from the blood of people who have recovered from covid be used just like a vaccine?
I swear I read that somewhere.

If so, couldn't the NFL pay for each player, coach, ref, etc... to get infused with this?

I was thinking about this today, non-football related. With the number of people who have recovered from Covid, just in the US, if their anti-bodies can be transferred to other "high-risk" individuals, wouldn't that come close to fixing the problem?

Back to the NFL. For a multi-billion dollar industry standing to loose a lot of money, it can't be a $ issue.

Curious if anyone knows or has heard anything about this. For myself, I feel like if it was that easy, it would already be being implemented.

edit: didn't mean to go off-topic, just thought this question fit in one of these threads.

Last edited:
Basically, no. The immunology is much, much more complicated than this.

Not to mention that at present AFAIK, no one even knows if people who contract Covid develop any form of effective resistance to future infection.

I think you’ve seen the last of Drew. No way he plays. Retires

Basically, no. The immunology is much, much more complicated than this.

Not to mention that at present AFAIK, no one even knows if people who contract Covid develop any form of effective resistance to future infection.
There are reports of people who have previously been infected with COVID and recovered getting re-infected.

Mod edited

The Saints don't cut players that Sean Payton feels will help improve the team
You're right about that.

Mod edited - political

Payton may very well feel that MJ will not improve the team. If so, we should not pay him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very random question here. Maybe some member up-to-date on medical stuff can answer.

Can't anti-bodies from the blood of people who have recovered from covid be used just like a vaccine?
I swear I read that somewhere.

If so, couldn't the NFL pay for each player, coach, ref, etc... to get infused with this?

The simple answer is no. What you are talking about is convalescent plasma. This is fluid that is extracted from the blood of COVID survivors.

Convalescent plasma is being used right now in the US, but only for people who are hospitalized and severely ill. This is because the plasma is hard to come by and expensive to process. The idea that, with 70,000 new cases today, the medical establishment would set aside this valuable treatment so people can play football is not being discussed. Nor should it. We need to be saving lives, not allowing football players to play.

The second problem with this is that convalescent plasma does not confer lasting immunity. If you pump someone else's antibodies into your bloodstream it will give you immunity to COVID for as long as the antibodies last. Then the immunity will go away. To maintain immunity the plasma would have to be given regularly, probably every week.

To get lasting immunity you must provoke the immune system to produce antibodies of its own. This is what a real vaccine does. You inject a person with proteins that trigger the immune system to respond, and it is this that creates immunity.

Convalescent plasma is not a real vaccine. It does not trigger the immune system to produce its own antibodies.

And that, in a nutshell, is why blood products from recovered patients will not be used in football.

This is tough because a lot of NBA players were claiming they wouldn't play but in the end only a few players from teams who weren't in contention and like one player from a contender actually followed through with saying they were not playing.

IF there is a season and IF the players/league agree to a salary cap, I expect many will groan but most will show up.

Last edited:
Mod Edit - Removed quoted post which was deleted.

We never should have signed Malcolm Jenkins. He becomes a distraction now that he is more interested in his social injustice position. I respect that he is so invested into social injustice, but we are a football team.
Cut him now or as a training camp decision which ever is more beneficial for the SAINTS TEAM.

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom