Who owns your DNA? (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Scary stuff. Should be illegal
======================================================

Asked in 1955 whether his polio vaccine was patented, Jonas Salk replied, “There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?” With that, Salk debunked the misguided notion of patenting objects found in nature. His polio vaccine was not a new invention but an inactive form of the natural polio virus.

Today, Salk would be shocked to find that your DNA belongs not to you but rather to many companies and institutions that have patents on the DNA from your cells. Forty-one percent of the genes in your genome are not legally yours, according to a long list of gene patents that have been granted since the 1980s. These patents cover thousands of human genes and restrict a doctor’s ability to look at your DNA and plan your medical treatment. These patent claims contradict an intuitive sense that your DNA is no less yours than your lungs or kidneys...........

Most people have normal versions of these genes, but those who carry mutations of BRCA usually have an 85 to 90 percent risk of developing breast or ovarian cancer. Doctors cannot independently look at the genetic code in a person’s BRCA genes, because as soon as blood is drawn and DNA is isolated to examine those genes, it is immediately the legal property of Myriad Genetics...........

Because of Myriad’s patents, any American who wants to have his or her DNA tested for the potentially life-threatening BRCA mutations has to use the services of Myriad Genetics. There is no possibility of an independent test. Myriad charges about $3,000 for the testing, but hundreds of clinical laboratories nationwide could do it for less than $200............

The Supreme Court should invalidate the patent on human DNA - The Washington Post

It's hard to believe that is real. Scary.
Surely, the Supreme Court will strike down this atrocity. I'd like to wring the neck of the bureaucrats who granted them patents in the first place. There must have been a serious exchange of money for those rights. I can't imagine anyone approving such a thing in an honest manner. Just insane.

I'm 50.

I've used up most of the good years. They can have the rest :)
Does this make it a contract because I posted this? :no:

fine...ill just copyright my body's contents.

Surely, the Supreme Court will strike down this atrocity.

Sadly, I wouldn't hold my breath about that. It will be very interesting to see how they rule in the Monsanto case, which covers similar ground.

This article was on the one of the last pages of the A section of the Post.

The article was only there at all because of the pending supreme court case.

It seems that this should be a much bigger deal than it is. This has been going on for 30 years and no one knows about it.

I posted this a while back about the Gasland documentary about frakking.

It made me mad. Thought it was truly terrifying.

Is there any huge corporation/industry out there that doesn't lie,cheat, steal and intimidate the public?

Answer seems to be "Of course not! Why would you even think such a thing!"

So if DNA is used to prove me guilty of a crime, does that mean they are the guilty ones since it is their DNA?

Asked in 1955 whether his polio vaccine was patented, Jonas Salk replied, “There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?” With that, Salk debunked the misguided notion of patenting objects found in nature. His polio vaccine was not a new invention but an inactive form of the natural polio virus.

Odds that the discoverer of the cure for AIDS or cancer or diabetes has the same outlook as Dr. Salk?

This lends even more credence to Mitt Romney's "Corporations are people, my friend..."

I've got some DNA for them.

tumblr_m994o0BDn51rnyf8yo1_400.gif

Its inaccurate to say this company owns a patent to your or my DNA.

They own a patent on a certain type of isolated DNA - which is not DNA. Isolated DNA does not naturally occur in the way DNA does.

Not saying the court here was right - but you should be clear what you are talking about.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom