The Chess Thread (1 Viewer)

I think I’m done for a bit too. I have finally started to think about moves for at least a couple of minutes but have to stop making last minute impulsive moves and hurriedly hitting confirm like I’m try to beat the buzzer in family feud. Jesus.

I think I’m done for a bit too. I have finally started to think about moves for at least a couple of minutes but have to stop making last minute impulsive moves and hurriedly hitting confirm like I’m try to beat the buzzer in family feud. Jesus.

This has happened to me too. I took a few days off. Then started back watching a few videos and did the puzzles, then started playing again.

Each time I took those breaks, I was better when I came back.

This has happened to me too. I took a few days off. Then started back watching a few videos and did the puzzles, then started playing again.

Each time I took those breaks, I was better when I came back.
The thing is that I never did that kind of thing when I played as a kid. But I’ve just been goofing about for years playing bots on various platforms and playing fast. I’ve come to the conclusion that playing bots is not likely good for many peoples games.

playing on a real board we used to eat each other’s lunch if you took your band off a piece on a bad move. I need to be gun shy again.

The thing is that I never did that kind of thing when I played as a kid. But I’ve just been goofing about for years playing bots on various platforms and playing fast. I’ve come to the conclusion that playing bots is not likely good for many peoples games.

playing on a real board we used to eat each other’s lunch if you took your band off a piece on a bad move. I need to be gun shy again.

“Board vision” is seeing the pieces in totality, at least in their basic moves - avoiding moving into a capture or hanging a piece becomes more automatic just from seeing where all the opponents pieces' can go on one move. I read that the difference between an experienced but novice player and an intermediate player is mostly in the number of mistakes (the intermediate player makes far fewer mistakes) and I think that comes from that kind of basic board vision. I’m not sure the best way to increase board vision but I know that playing a lot of games is part of it.

And in playing a lot of games to increase your board vision, your goal is playing a lot, regardless of winning. So if you blunder a major piece, keep playing. Sheer volume of moves will increase board vision, and as the position opens up (with pieces gone off the board), there's more to take in about seeing the pieces' movement interacting with one another. The more you compute these movements, the more automated it becomes. As you develop it, you become less likely to make a bad mistake like moving into a capture or hanging a piece - and that means you can spend more time on your strategy and the position than trying to make sure the move doesn't cost you a piece.

I think the puzzles help with board vision too.

Yeah, and when i see Guido's name, i mentally pronounce it "Guido de-iMo-Belay" (...must be Italian :grin:)
That’s the intention
And while it seems a nod to a current Italian footballer, it’s actually an homage to one of my favorite dancers who took the stage name ‘Foofwa d’Immobile’
(He was German)

Here are most of our folks although I don’t think I have Longhorn and Sandman added yet. Wiz is St Chris. And Razza is Bronson. DMobile is GMR

1625771950453.jpeg
Thanks, I issued challenges to all of you marmalukes but because my rating is beneath him, I received a message that the Wiz only accepts challenges from 995 ratings or higher. So, I guess I am gonna have to scalp a few of you yahoos prior to getting a piece of ol James Bond Wizard!

Thanks, I issued challenges to all of you marmalukes but because my rating is beneath him, I received a message that the Wiz only accepts challenges from 995 ratings or higher. So, I guess I am gonna have to scalp a few of you yahoos prior to getting a piece of ol James Bond Wizard!
i don’t see you, what is your handle?

I never set this, at least not intentionally. Anyone know how to change it?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom