The Chess Thread (1 Viewer)

Great game GMR. I wanted to quit early when you got my Rook.
that's why you should never give up when playing me - there's always the possibility that i'm going to do something dumb that almost gives the game away
like i did twice with you (i was like "i'm pretty sure i'm winning, so why am I running away from his attacks like i'm trying to keep my lunch money?")

that's why you should never give up when playing me - there's always the possibility that i'm going to do something dumb that almost gives the game away
like i did twice with you (i was like "i'm pretty sure i'm winning, so why am I running away from his attacks like i'm trying to keep my lunch money?")
It was definitely a learning game for me. I did manage to slow down some but I set up to take your Queen and then when I switched back to the game I forgot what I was doing and moved knight up to begin assaulting king instead of just taking Queen and getting into one of our marathon games lol.

058EA7F9-C5F0-4947-B521-8E927472DC13.jpeg

It was definitely a learning game for me. I did manage to slow down some but I set up to take your Queen and then when I switched back to the game I forgot what I was doing and moved knight up to begin assaulting king instead of just taking Queen and getting into one of our marathon games lol.

058EA7F9-C5F0-4947-B521-8E927472DC13.jpeg
my queen was very happy that i did not just give her away as is my want
but her just sitting there outside of your castle under the tent, fanning herself while thumping through a magazine was weird - kept thinking that i should use her, but it was never the correct play

my queen was very happy that i did not just give her away as is my want
but her just sitting there outside of your castle under the tent, fanning herself while thumping through a magazine was weird - kept thinking that i should use her, but it was never the correct play
It really makes me appreciate those that can carry on multiple games like the tradition of putting prodigies up against a room full of boards. At that level, you are not just trying to remember 10 strategies but it’s however many stratagies, multiple moves ahead. It’s unreal.

i can’t even carry strategy over to one other game and through a couple of needy coworkers (IRL)

I play blitz A LOT, and I cannot tell you how much I feel like the Saints when I play, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory CONSTANTLY. Like, I will be up, WAAAAAY up and then move one piece to the ONE square out of sixty-four that I shouldn't and then lose on a nigh statistically impossible outcome. Sometimes, I just shake my head like, FML.

I play blitz A LOT, and I cannot tell you how much I feel like the Saints when I play, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory CONSTANTLY. Like, I will be up, WAAAAAY up and then move one piece to the ONE square out of sixty-four that I shouldn't and then lose on a nigh statistically impossible outcome. Sometimes, I just shake my head like, FML.

I have tried to play blitz and it really feels like it uses a different part of the brain - I wouldn’t be surprised if it actually does (would like to see some research on that).

I like the idea of blitz and will probably play more when I feel like most of my moves, especially opening, are basically automated. But I have definitely seen how even in rapid games, there can be big swings of momentum (probability of winning). An attack can fizzle and turn to vulnerability or a blunder changes everything. I suspect it’s even more dramatic in blitz. That’s cool

Only barely tangential to this - but I was watching Euro Cup and realized I should play chess more like soccer- try to press, but if things get packed then pull back to loosen up the opponent (in fact I think Chuck is trying that with a bishop now)
But of course knowing what to do and how to do it are vastly different things

I have tried to play blitz and it really feels like it uses a different part of the brain - I wouldn’t be surprised if it actually does (would like to see some research on that).

I like the idea of blitz and will probably play more when I feel like most of my moves, especially opening, are basically automated. But I have definitely seen how even in rapid games, there can be big swings of momentum (probability of winning). An attack can fizzle and turn to vulnerability or a blunder changes everything. I suspect it’s even more dramatic in blitz. That’s cool
Yup. The ebb and flow of a blitz game is insane, not for the faint of heart. I have seen SO many games where people are just shaking their heads afterward like HOW IN THE WORLD DID THAT HAPPEN?!?!

You might be right on separate parts of the brain being used. But SOMETIMES I will see something and have no idea why but it's like my Spidey Sense is tingling in a good way and I will sac a piece with no endgame in sight and it will work. I sac'd a queen on a knight once because they knight was anchored too deeply and I just felt it was gonna be more trouble than it's worth. I ended up winning that game. I once had both rooks taken for bishops, and ended up winning. I think sometimes people think, I am up in material, therefore I don't have to think as hard, and then they get caught off guard.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom