The Chess Thread (1 Viewer)

I occasionally play the cpu on simply chess, which was free on steam. I suck.
Ive played CPUs on and off for a few decades until I discovered what a great app chess.com has. I can tell you that my game suffered greatly because you change your playing style when you know a bit about how a particular cpu goes about it Jump on and play with us

this is whats so fascinating about chess to me, its not a huge playing area and there are only a handful of rules and piece movements. But that someone could see this through enough to have confidence in queen sacrifice...

The Windmill 1925

that was beautiful! I love agadmator's breakdowns

that was beautiful! I love agadmator's breakdowns
I’ve been working my way slowly through Kasparov’s MasterClass and it’s awesome to hear him talking about games like this as well. It’s not strictly for advanced players but he will blaze through the easy stuff. Great stuff, especially when he breaks down his own games. The man sets up positions for games like he has a photographic memory and I don’t doubt that he may even though he is probably refreshing his memory between shoots.

I’ve been working my way slowly through Kasparov’s MasterClass and it’s awesome to hear him talking about games like this as well. It’s not strictly for advanced players but he will blaze through the easy stuff. Great stuff, especially when he breaks down his own games. The man sets up positions for games like he has a photographic memory and I don’t doubt that he may even though he is probably refreshing his memory between shoots.
yea that guy's brain is on another level

well done @SaintsFanInLA

I think I'm gonna look at a few of Superchuck v JRazza matches. I've been playing chess for years but you are guys are clearly stronger than I am. I think my blitz chess has made my slow game suffer. But they are fun games even if I'm rife with anxiety. Lol

You ought to watch Netflix's Explained episode on Chess. They talk about how the grandmasters have EXTENSIVE memories but what I find really interesting was how they don't think that much deeper in terms of number of moves ahead than masters; it's just that they think qualitatively better. So the grandmasters may average 1 more move deeper in thought than the masters but their moves are better in quality.

You ought to watch Netflix's Explained episode on Chess. They talk about how the grandmasters have EXTENSIVE memories but what I find really interesting was how they don't think that much deeper in terms of number of moves ahead than masters; it's just that they think qualitatively better. So the grandmasters may average 1 more move deeper in thought than the masters but their moves are better in quality.
Definitely will earmark that for when I pick Netflix back up. I wouldn’t have known to look there, thanks.

I think I'm gonna look at a few of Superchuck v JRazza matches. I've been playing chess for years but you are guys are clearly stronger than I am. I think my blitz chess has made my slow game suffer. But they are fun games even if I'm rife with anxiety. Lol
guess your being modest... you're clearly on our level

No tengo nada para ti @superchuck
Dude. I couldn’t log into the game yesterday- the kids were complaining about the internet all day yesterday
By the time I got home the game was over for time
I would have lost anyway even though I could have sworn I had you in 3 moves about 1/2 through
ugh

Dude. I couldn’t log into the game yesterday- the kids were complaining about the internet all day yesterday
By the time I got home the game was over for time
I would have lost anyway even though I could have sworn I had you in 3 moves about 1/2 through
ugh
You really did develop pieces better that game. That Queen trade was stupid of me. You missed a knight fork that would have been devastating right after if you go back and look. And I was having fits while you had your horses parked on my porch. I couldn’t believe I got them out of there.

No tengo nada para ti @superchuck

Just a few easily fixable mistakes.

Game is still going and I often make mistakes in endgame but here's three key moment observations:

- At move 7 I took your knight on g4, and it happened because when I moved Ne5 it opened up my queen to attack g4 - which means your bishop at f5 isn't protecting the knight on g4 because it becomes a 2 pieces to 1 exchange. There you have to either trade knights Nxg5 or move the g4 knight away. When you moved the pawn (f6) to threaten my knight, which was threatening to take your g4 knight on the next move anyway, that was a blunder. Not sure if that was a vision mistake or a miscalculation but that's pretty easy to fix with just a bit more analysis before moving. Then though, being down a piece at move 7 is always going to be tough.

- But you responded with a pretty good king side attack that put me on the defensive. I had to pull back and protect my pieces, even if that meant putting them in useless places, like pulling the knight back to h2. It's hard to know what you could have done here, I'm really not experienced enough to think I know the answer, but it seems like e4 on move 11 bogged down your push - it simply stabilized the position on the king side. Yes, you had some advanced pawns supported by a bishop and your queen, but moving to e4 just locked everything into place for both of us over there. But you still had attacking moves - your h pawn was advanced and defended by the rook, and I think attacking my g3 bishop instead would have kept your attack going.

- So with king side stabilized after your e4 move, my initiative becomes beginning an attack on the open queen side. I'm up a piece, your attack has stalled, and it's time to counter. After my opening salvo on the queen side, the Bb5 move that pinned your remaining knight to your queen, you castled queen side . . . you castled into my attack. Again, I don't know enough to say what's right or wrong but I think this position was setting up for my attack on the queen side and though you had the basic three pawn protection structure there, the rest of the position was not appealing for a queen side castle. Castling is also a move that surrenders tempo to the opponent in exchange for better king protection - but castling into a middle-game attack on an open side only buys limited protection, and gives up a move to the attacking opponent. Plus, it left your knight-to-queen pin in place, allowing me to bring my queen out for what is, at worst for me, a queen exchange - which I'm happy to do up a piece with a nicely developing attack underway. Plus the queen exchange required you to break up your line of pawns defending your king, doubling up on the c file. I'm not sure how other moves would have shaken out, will be interesting to look in the post-game analysis tool, but castling there set up those dominoes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom