Who remembers Camille? (1 Viewer)

I was 7 and rode it out at our local elementary school in Gulfport. We caught the NE quadrant all night. It's a sound i'll never forget.
The only way I can explain it is listening to a runaway freight train right outside the window.

My father's brother was named Camille, I remember him?. I was living in Hattiesburg in '69. We were under mattresses most of the night and were without power for 2 weeks. An oak tree next to the house split and fortunately fell the other way or my bedroom would have been crushed.

Was 9 years old, living in mid city/city park area. Lots of trees were down, lost power, little else as Camille veered slightly east of its north bound course.

I don't remember the actual storm - probably too busy fighting with my brothers or just slept through it. I do remember cleaning up afterward. We drove to our house on the Mississippi coast where my father and uncle had taken all furniture outside and hosed it down. Once it dried out we brought it back in. When I stood on my tippy-toes I could reach the waterline inside. The fruit trees and anything in the garden my late grandmother had planted years earlier never recovered from the salt in the ground. Except for the mud/water inside the house and the garage being moved over a foot, the only damage was a torn screen. It took Katrina to finally do it in. RIP. :(

It rained and blew the trees around, but not much else. However, it annihilated our friends' home on the Waveland beach.

We also had a sailing buddy whose boat was docked at the Broadwater in Biloxi. He stayed in the hotel for the storm but b4 moving across the street he ran a telephone with wood blocks duct taped to the receiver handle down to his bilge.

He'd call the boat every so often and if it rang, he knew the water level was okay. When it was busy, he'd go pump the bilge.

Obviously, he lost contact with the boat during the height of the storm, but found it once Camille passed...on top of the harbormaster's building at the marina entrance.

That's a 47' full-keeled ketch, hoisted up and dropped about 50 yards from where she was heavily moored. She got craned off at some point and spent several months on the sand downbeach from the hotel.

Good times.

Last edited:
My aunt/uncle and cousins were at their home at the "V" in N. Beach Blvd.

Same place for Katrina, but they evacuated for K.

My uncle's Dad build the place. Solid.
Had somebody's dock in their living room.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190820-211016.png
    Screenshot_20190820-211016.png
    300.6 KB · Views: 6
I was young when it hit,and the only thing I remember is the all the relatives were at our house in Picayune. I heard one of my aunts say that the eye of the storm was passing over.
I remember being afraid that the eye would see me and then try to get me.

I was married and my wife and I were in Jackson, Ms. for an exhibition game between Kansas City and Cincinatti. We returned to the Gulf Coast the next day. The only traffic going south was us and a Highway Patrol unit., the rest of the traffic was jammed up headed north. Our daughter was staying with my folks in Moss Point and we wanted to get back to her.. That is where my family rode out the storm.

We lived in NOLA and were there for the storm, but had a house on the Jordan River. I remember we packed the station wagon up and drove to MS.....It took hours to get there; but when we did, the only thing left were the pilings the house was on and a toilet that was downstairs. I remember that there was another house(an entire house) that had washed over from somewhere and was resting against the pilings. My ole man was just sort of wandering around in a daze, my mom was crying and my brother and I were just there. We were not there for long....not much you could do other than scavenge for a few items here and there. The Army Corps eventually came in and literally burned the site to the ground and my ole man eventually gifted the property to the Brothers at St. Stanislaus.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom