Saints Who remembers the 1990 Saints that made the last playoff spot? (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
1. Pretty good defense (Dome Patrol)

2. Offense was weak

3. IIRC, special teams were decent (Morten Andersen, Tyrone Hughes)

If (and that’s a big “IF”) we can get healthy, and get our foot in the door for the postseason, anything can happen.

Disclaimer: I don’t believe we get in at the rate things are going. But I wanted to drop something that was an alternative to doom & gloom. 🤔

WhoDat, y’all.

Here’s the game that got the Saints into the postseason in ‘90.

:gosaints:

2. Offense was weak

If (and that’s a big “IF”) we can get healthy, and get our foot in the door for the postseason, anything can happen.

Disclaimer: I don’t believe we get in at the rate things are going. But I wanted to drop something that was an alternative to doom & gloom. 🤔

WhoDat, y’all.

Let the past go. You look back you stop looking forward. Remember when is the lowest form of conversation …. So says Tony Soprano that I am remembering when on. Tomorrow not today!

MAKING the playoffs isn't the goal. Being relevant IS. Unfortunately the chance for this team to be relevant has passed. Young players are getting LOTS of experience. It WILL be better in a couple years.

2. Offense was weak

WhoDat, y’all.

I remember them. Tyrone Hughes was not on the team.

The problem is I think our defense in 1990 was better than pretty good. I think they were excellent and I think they were better than this year's group. This year's group is good enough to have gotten us to the playoffs in 2007-08, 2012, or 2014-16. But I don't think they can drag this offense over the finish line. Both teams had terrible offenses (this year's team has more to do with injuries though).

I will grant you if this team does make the playoffs the 1990 team would be the best comp for them, though.

Last edited:
I get the point, but letting our playmakers get fully healthy while also getting a higher draft pick is not doom and gloom. At least it isn’t to me.
Not trying to pick at your post particularly, but the whole "lose more games to get a better pick" is a bunch of nonsense that has somehow come to be accepted as valid.

How many drafts do you think there have been where the 8th pick didn't end up as a better pro than the 5th pick as an example, or the 13th better than the 8th? Not many...it's not a linear progression through the first round where the first pick is the best player, the second is the second best player, and so on through the round. Clearly, teams have different evaluations of different players, which slots the players in different orders for different teams, but I'd contend even more impactful on first round draft order is the fact that so many teams can still be counted on to make the mistake of drafting for position in the first round. How NFL teams can get to mid-first round and say to themselves "The next 10 most talented players play other positions, but we need a QB" and reach for a guy who's really at best a second round talent is beyond me.

Also, if someone is gonna tell me they're cool with say, losing ten out of their last twelve games so they can pick 5th instead of 12th, I'm gonna tell them it ain't worth it for another reason as well, and it's because a season like that is like injecting poison right into a team's collective veins. Your entire roster learns that while it's hard, hard work to win, it's really easy to lose. Like, you don't even have to do anything special...you can almost just go through the motions and let it happen. Hell, go through that kind of "early success and then things go to crap" season and you almost kinda learn that the losing is SUPPOSED to happen.

BTW...Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, Lamar Jackson. In that order. Mayfield No. 1 and Jackson No. 32. Now, tell me again how important a few slots worth of draft position is. It just isn't, until you're two or three years past and you can use hindsight to pick out the successful selections that came four slots before your pick. Because by then you'll be ignoring the unsuccessful selection that was made five slots before your pick.

Last edited:

2. Offense was weak

WhoDat, y’all.

I'm a fan of optimism.

As well as posts about seasons past.

👍

Young players are getting LOTS of experience.
Experience learning to expect to lose, which I'd contend is never valuable experience.

Oh, and I just called Eli Manning and the Giants and told them to send the trophy back, because the goal isn't to make the playoffs.

2. Offense was weak

WhoDat, y’all.

The dome patrol was a “pretty good defense”?

2. Offense was weak

WhoDat, y’all.

There would have been at least 5 or so late hits called now. They let them play back then.

I think our best and only realistic chance at making the playoffs has passed with the loss to Dallas. It would have been a boost of confidence to be back to .500 with a 10 day break to heal up, get some guys back for the Jets, Bucs and Dolphins. Of course, we are still technically "in the hunt", but let's be real..

I remember making the playoffs in 1990 . . . and then being promptly ejected by Chicago. To make it worse, I was passing through A*l*n*a and was stuck watching the game in a bar there, Fuzzy's as I recall.

My mother went to that game in Chicago... A woman Saints fan, right behind her, got knocked out cold with an ice ball during the game. That was the last straw for my mother, she left the stadium.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom