Poll Who should start at QB? (1 Viewer)

If you had to pick one to start for the Saints for the entire next 6 weeks, who do you want at QB?

• Teddy Bridgewater

Votes: 101 43.5%
  • Taysom Hill

Votes: 131 56.5%

• Total voters
Teddy is the answer right now. He has a role here, and now it is time to fullfil that role. Taysom has a role and I don't think it will change. If the Brees injury was a season ender, I would feel differently. Taysom could provide an emotional spark and excitement to the whole team, especially Sean Payton which I think would be fun. Right now, we need Bridgewater's leadership and experience to get us through the next couple months.

He was "garbage" in the preseason of 2018, when he'd been with the team for like a week. That's what you're basing his current abilities on? He sure seems to know the entire offense pretty well. Well enough to play QB snaps in real games last year.

But not well enough to keep them from overpaying for Teddy

But not well enough to keep them from overpaying for Teddy
They paid for Teddy before they'd seen anything from Hill yet this year. And with the way Payton has talked about Hill since seeing him in camp and through the preseason, he's sure been more complimentary of Hill than he has Teddy. That doesn't mean they're going to start him over the $8 million backup, but it does give us hope that if Teddy just can't get it done, there's another QB already on the roster - who Payton has intimated is Brees's successor - who can take over and probably rally the team to some wins.

So you say. But neither one of us knows just how much of the playbook Taysom knows , He has been at this for two seasons. His first season he was not a gadget player until late so he was the 3rd QB learning the same playbook as the 1 and 2. It is an insult to his obvious intelligence to argue he didn't pick up the offense in two years with the team.

I go back to my original position . Until Drew is back the goal is to lose as few games as possible. The TB supporters all talk as if the season is toast and we are now just playing to mature TB for next season.

Play the QB that can get the job done. If TB is not playing well then pull him and let Taysom try.

Um, no. Bridgewater by far gives the Saints the best option to win games. Hill is at best a work in progress. He does a lot of things on the field and its tough guy but he isn't close to the QB that Bridgewater is now. You simply can't judge Bridgewater on one game where he came in against one of the better defenses in the NFL, a defense that has more or less shut down Drew Brees for the last two games and has added Marcus Peters. Add to that the fact that the game plan was designed around Brees, not Bridgewater, and you just can't make a final decision on him based on one start. Does he need to play better? Of course he does. But he's still the best shot we have at winning games. I do think we may need to run more Read Option and RPOs with Hill while Brees is out to keep teams guessing, but for an ever down QB Bridgewater is clearly the best option. He's not great but at this point he's an average NFL QB which is better than what Hill is right now.

If anyone wants to develop people for next year, it's those who want to start Hill to "see what he can do" and develop him for when Brees finally retires.

That being said, if Bridgewater struggles in the next two games, sure give Hill a shot. But at this point, it makes no sense to start a guy that has never started an NFL game over a former Pro-Bowl QB with a season of starting experience.

Earlier in this post it was stated that in 2018 Hill took 13% of the snaps at QB in 2018 which I do not believe is correct. Hill was at QB 64 times out of 1010 offensive plays which is about 6% and I only recall one or two plays which were designed pass plays, most where run options. In pre-season he worked as a QB making reads and changing the plays at the line and looked pretty good, albeit against back-ups. I think that if Teddy does not show significant improvement in the first half we will see Taysom in the second half at Seattle.

Um, no. Bridgewater by far gives the Saints the best option to win games. Hill is at best a work in progress. He does a lot of things on the field and its tough guy but he isn't close to the QB that Bridgewater is now. You simply can't judge Bridgewater on one game where he came in against one of the better defenses in the NFL, a defense that has more or less shut down Drew Brees for the last two games and has added Marcus Peters. Add to that the fact that the game plan was designed around Brees, not Bridgewater, and you just can't make a final decision on him based on one start. Does he need to play better? Of course he does. But he's still the best shot we have at winning games. I do think we may need to run more Read Option and RPOs with Hill while Brees is out to keep teams guessing, but for an ever down QB Bridgewater is clearly the best option. He's not great but at this point he's an average NFL QB which is better than what Hill is right now.

If anyone wants to develop people for next year, it's those who want to start Hill to "see what he can do" and develop him for when Brees finally retires.

That being said, if Bridgewater struggles in the next two games, sure give Hill a shot. But at this point, it makes no sense to start a guy that has never started an NFL game over a former Pro-Bowl QB with a season of starting experience.
I don't think they're going to put themselves in a position to pull anyone. I really think we're going to run what could be considered a 2 QB offense, with Hill's snaps at QB just being increased from what he had last year since he did show in the preseason that he can make the reads and throw from the pocket. We couldn't do that in L.A. because he was the 3rd WR and 3rd TE with Ginn not even being looked at all game long.

We need to stop it with the pro bowl talk about Bridgewater. He was like the tenth alternate and also put up pedestrian numbers that year - something like 14 TD's to 9 INT's with 5 TD's coming in one game. But he did what they asked him to do. Manage the game, rely on his running game and be the best passer he could when the situation called for it. I have a feeling we'll be asking him to do the same since this is (on paper) the most balanced team the Saints have had, even more than last year. we've got to get the running game going for our defense's sake too.

Earlier in this post it was stated that in 2018 Hill took 13% of the snaps at QB in 2018 which I do not believe is correct. Hill was at QB 64 times out of 1010 offensive plays which is about 6% and I only recall one or two plays which were designed pass plays, most where run options. In pre-season he worked as a QB making reads and changing the plays at the line and looked pretty good, albeit against back-ups. I think that if Teddy does not show significant improvement in the first half we will see Taysom in the second half at Seattle.
Thank you for clearing up that 13% number. That may have been the total snaps he took on offense, but I knew it had to be too high for his snaps at QB. Any time I referenced that number, I asterisked it with, 13% coming from a user on this site.

Hill did show great pocket presence and awareness and didn't always just decide to run when things broke down. He successfully scrambled and completed passes too. That's why I think we'll be seeing both QB's nearly splitting snaps at QB this week and if it works, until Brees comes back.

Teddy is the QB from now until Drew gets back. It's not a debate, it's not on a trial basis, its not going to change barring injury. It is THE plan, like it or not.

Taysom is the reason we have 2 TEs, 3 RBs, and 4 active WRs on gameday. Make him the starter and we are undermanned at several positions.

The only question I see is whether or not we pick up a backup QB for the next 6 weeks.

Hey Dutar - do you think we will pickup another backup QB so Taysom can continue his role as Swiss Army knife? thx

They paid for Teddy before they'd seen anything from Hill yet this year. And with the way Payton has talked about Hill since seeing him in camp and through the preseason, he's sure been more complimentary of Hill than he has Teddy. That doesn't mean they're going to start him over the $8 million backup, but it does give us hope that if Teddy just can't get it done, there's another QB already on the roster - who Payton has intimated is Brees's successor - who can take over and probably rally the team to some wins.

Well u surely have high hopes for him. I choose to take a guarded approach. I still can't get over the fact that he's just now learning the subtleties of the QB position @ his age. Most guys woulda been written off a long time ago. But Hill can run, so...

And I dunno how serious CSP was when he made that intimation. I'm not sure he's the kinda guy u trust @ face value. But if he was serious then I hope he knows what he's doing. Other than Drew, his track record as being a QB whisperer isn't exactly stellar

Hey Dutar - do you think we will pickup another backup QB so Taysom can continue his role as Swiss Army knife? thx
I'm not Dutar but I'll give my opinion. I think they call up WR's and another TE from the PS and use Hill under center basically splitting snaps with TB since he's shown progress as a pocket passer.

Only if one of them were to get injured (which would be just as likely with Hill playing all those other positions, if not more) do we sign another QB, IMO.

I'm not Dutar but I'll give my opinion. I think they call up WR's and another TE from the PS and use Hill under center basically splitting snaps with TB since he's shown progress as a pocket passer.

Only if one of them were to get injured (which would be just as likely with Hill playing all those other positions, if not more) do we sign another QB, IMO.

Sorry Inside and thx!

Well u surely have high hopes for him. I choose to take a guarded approach. I still can't get over the fact that he's just now learning the subtleties of the QB position @ his age. Most guys woulda been written off a long time ago. But Hill can run, so...

And I dunno how serious CSP was when he made that intimation. I'm not sure he's the kinda guy u trust @ face value. But if he was serious then I hope he knows what he's doing. Other than Drew, his track record as being a QB whisperer isn't exactly stellar
The guy who won a ton of games with Kerry "Vodka" Collins and turned Tony Romo into a 10 year starter who was a great regular season QB doesn't have a good track record as a QB whisperer? And Hill is only learning these "subtleties" at this age because he's a Mormon and went on his mission for a few years after graduating college. That was after playing an extra year at BYU because of injuries for which he got an extra season exemption, IIRC.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom