Article Who wants to be the man that follows the man? (1 Viewer)

Kyle brister

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I heard Bobby Hebert say that after the game last Saturday. No disrespect meant to Teddy Bridgewater at all. I can't say how pleased I was after seeing our back up QB situation last preseason that Sean Payton had the good sense to trade for Teddy. But this article posted yesterday may have a very subliminal message in it. I mean Bobby asked the question & the only answer I could come up with was Steve Young. Steve Young was the man that followed the man when Joe Montana ended up leaving San Fransisco for Kansas City which was a shocker to me. Is it possible that Teysom Hill could one day be the next Steve Young?

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I don't read into or try to dig up any "subliminal messages" Hill had a good game and Teddy didn't. It is still preseason. People will take that "Steve Young" comparison from the coach and make it more than what it is. Just like Steve, Hill can run. And that is where the comparison should end. Hill is not there yet. Steve can throw and run the offense very well. He was a Super Bowl winning quarterback. Hill is a good athlete that had his best ever PRESEASON game. I will admit last year in preseason, I thought Hill was a horrible quarterback who gets rattled and shouldn't be our roster at all. Some people were calling for Ryan Griffin to come back. I am very happy Hill is doing way better as a pocket passer and is improving tremendously, but I have to see a little more.

Last edited:
I read a few twitter comments that suggested Young only gave Hill those kudos was because they went to the same college and share the same spiritual background. I'm not sure I buy this. Hill is a great athlete but if he was to take over for DB, the offense would have to change to match his strengths. Their not the same style of QB's. Can he be successful? Sure he can

I read a few twitter comments that suggested Young only gave Hill those kudos was because they went to the same college and share the same spiritual background. I'm not sure I buy this. Hill is a great athlete but if he was to take over for DB, the offense would have to change to match his strengths. Their not the same style of QB's. Can he be successful? Sure he can

We can read Payton's intentions clearly by watching the plays he sends in to Hill.

If Hill is ever able to run the full Payton offense, the ST usage and gadget plays will stop. As long as Hill can't run the entire SP offense, he will be the 3rd string QB.

I seriously doubt Payton would change his offense to accommodate Hill. Yeah, he may throw a wrinkle in on crucial plays, but his starter will never be used like Hill is currently being used.

We can read Payton's intentions clearly by watching the plays he sends in to Hill.

If Hill is ever able to run the full Payton offense, the ST usage and gadget plays will stop. As long as Hill can't run the entire SP offense, he will be the 3rd string QB.

I seriously doubt Payton would change his offense to accommodate Hill. Yeah, he may throw a wrinkle in on crucial plays, but his starter will never be used like Hill is currently being used.

And as long as Taysom is used in the "Taysom" role, we will have to keep 3 QBs on the roster. SP said as much. Said that you can't have your #2 QB with 3 of his fingers taped up from getting them jammed on a FG block or making a tackle.

My take is pretty simple. I don't think Taysom ever becomes our #1 or #2 QB. I do believe he will continue to be our #3 QB and do all the things he's doing now. BUT... once Drew retires, I see Taysom's snaps at QB during games increasing. Especially if he continues to develop as a passer and adds more bullets to his gun so to speak.

And as long as Taysom is used in the "Taysom" role, we will have to keep 3 QBs on the roster. SP said as much. Said that you can't have your #2 QB with 3 of his fingers taped up from getting them jammed on a FG block or making a tackle.

My take is pretty simple. I don't think Taysom ever becomes our #1 or #2 QB. I do believe he will continue to be our #3 QB and do all the things he's doing now. BUT... once Drew retires, I see Taysom's snaps at QB during games increasing. Especially if he continues to develop as a passer and adds more bullets to his gun so to speak.

Yes, all we have to do is watch how Payton uses him to know his future. Only when the non-QB plays stop is Payton thinking of him as a serious QB. So, presently, Hill is off the table. The future is either Teddy, a 1st round draft choice, or another FA QB.

I think someone else will give him the chance to compete for the QB spot.

Yes, all we have to do is watch how Payton uses him to know his future. Only when the non-QB plays stop is Payton thinking of him as a serious QB. So, presently, Hill is off the table. The future is either Teddy, a 1st round draft choice, or another FA QB.

And despite the growing Taysom movement... I can see Taysom being too valuable a weapon for SP to ever be willing to give up. Especially as that weapon becomes even more versatile and dynamic. Rev Deuce has somewhat jokingly tossed out the idea that SP could create the NFL's first every true 2QB system. That's probably a little too far down the rabbit hole, but I think it's entirely possible that he does something along those lines.

Think about it. SP is willing to take the ball out of Drew Brees' hands from time to time in crucial game situations to run those Taysom plays. Whoever takes over as the starting QB after Drew retires will not be on Drew's level and therefore easier to give the ball to Hill more often.

Yep. I'm thinking, ..As grateful as Taysom is for Peyton giving him his role, still, his main focus is to be a QB.

After this year, I'm sure he'll have a long talk about that, where he stands, his opportunity with the Saints going forward, etc. If it's always going to be "gadget"...he will cash in on a payday as there will be other teams willing to give him a shot... His upside is high. He has done brightly in all QB opportunities he's been given, both in Green Bay, and with the Saints.

I'm betting (seems logical with his long term goals), that if he's not given that chance with the Saints, he'll be gone after this year to get that opportunity somewhere else. :(

That's possible, but I think it's not likely. Taysom is like Cam Newton in a way. Just not quite on that level. Cam would not be the weapon he is in any other team's offense. Therefore a team would have to be willing to completely design and build an offense around him that suits him. Carolina has done that for Cam. Would a team be willing to do that for Taysom?

Even if Taysom continues to develop as a passer, his legs and athleticism is still going to be what makes him special. Of all the teams in the league, we're the only team I can see as even possibly being willing to do that, and as I've said in many posts over the past few days, I can only see us doing that in packages designed for him, which I believe we will see more of going forward.

The question may come down to salary though. I can see another team maybe being willing to bring Taysom in as a #2 and pay him as a #2. When the time comes for us to re-sign him, it'll be interesting to see how much SP and ML are willing to pay him.

I guess another possible scenario is Taysom leaving for a #2QB job thinking that gets him a step closer to having a shot at becoming a starter.

What level is that?

League MVP, the most feared QB in the league who is not a good ball thrower, able to win any game virtually on his own when he gets hot.

I do not like Cam Newton at all, but those things are undeniable even for me.

Cam is an absolute freak of nature. Taysom is cut from that mold, but not on Cam's level. At least until proven otherwise.

Agreed largely with the assessment that Hill is still coming along, basically.

To play off this thread's title, I do hope we're closer to the Niners' model of QB succession than Buffalo's and Miami's after Kelly and Marino.

League MVP, the most feared QB in the league who is not a good ball thrower, able to win any game virtually on his own when he gets hot.
We all know about what league MVP means... right there with pro bowler.
I don't know about "the most feared..." part.
Carry the offense, sure.

At least until proven otherwise.

And that's what some of us are saying:
1. Give Taysom a real chance to prove what he can do.
2. Wait until TB proves he can hack it before he's anointed anything, because the resume isn't that impressive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom