Who was the best Saints running back to be efficient at the screen pass not named Pierre Thomas? (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
A. Reggie Bush
B. Darren Sproles
C. Alvin Kamara

Real tough question. No doubt, Pierre Thomas was the best screen pass back of all time. His use of blocks, elusive and patience was just pure artistry. His screen pass touchdown in the Super Bowl in 2010 was such a thing of beauty, it is so underrated as one of best runs in Super Bowl history.

I have seen all the backs since 1987......here is my list after Pierre Thomas....

5. Dalton Hilliard
He was such a great two way running back with the run and the pass, many don't remember how dangerous he was. His 1989 season of 1200 yards rushing, 50 receptions and 18 touchdowns was unheard of back in the day. That set an NFL record at the time. Still remember the ACL injury in October 1990 against the Oilers and just broke my heart. He was never the same after that. ....but man, he was great on dump offs and screen passes, so shifty!

4. Deuce McAllister.
Pure power back and the hands to match. I believe he is the most talented running back in Saints history. He was just was not on any good teams. What numbers would he put up in a Payton offense?

3. Alvin Kamara.
Little unfair to be put him this low, but the screen game has not been a great strength for the Saints overall the past few years. If Kamara was in the 2011 offense? OMG!

2. Reggie Bush. He held your breath every time he touched the ball, just a great pass catcher and knew how to use space.

1. Darren Sproles. Hands down the second best screen pass back in my opinion of all time next to Pierre Thomas. He was a threat to take it to the house every time he touched the ball on a screen pass.

Biggest PT fan here. As long as he is the king, everyone is last to me. He was that good in the screen game. His TD in the SB, got us out of the funk we were stuck in. Gave us the momentum we needed

Out of the choices you listed for me it was definitely Sproles.

His contact balance was amazing, he was already a low to the ground runner but once he was able to secure a screen pass he had the ability to dip, and slip under Blockers, sort of hiding himself from Defenders throwing their angles off just enough to make them look silly, plus he was really nimble and quick.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom