Who will be the "suprise" cut for the Saints? (1 Viewer)

I'm shocked that Hawthorne was not cut today. If I remember correctly he was one of the players who's contract is guaranteed if he is on the roster tomorrow. Cutting him would only save $2million cap space but $4million in cash.

I'm shocked that Hawthorne was not cut today. If I remember correctly he was one of the players who's contract is guaranteed if he is on the roster tomorrow. Cutting him would only save $2million cap space but $4million in cash.

There's still time...

I could see us cutting PT this year and Sproles next year. Both are getting older and we would still have a 3 headed monster with Ingram, Cadet, and Ivory.

I could also see Vilma as a surprise keeper. Vilma showed flashes of his old self at the tale end of last year. I could see him competing for one of the starting positions in the middle. If nothing else, I wonder if he would take a pay cut to slide into nickel packages. He seems too prideful to accept that type of role, but he is in the last leg of his career. It could come down to that or retirement.

I hate this part of the year. I think I speak for all Saints fans when I say: I become emotionally attached to our players, but at the end of the day, I am a Saints fan above all else.

Drew Brees. That'd be a hell of a surprise. :hihi:

I can't think of anyone that's not already on the bubble to the point it'd be a big shock.

No way PT gets cut, still our best all around back. Also, you don't cut a position that lacks depth, i.e., Greer. Herring will be cut, backups don't make that much money. Smith will be cut/restructured as will Harper.

I agree with all of that.

If PT got cut, that would be our biggest mistake, why would we cut our best back and keep Ingram.

Not that I am saying PT should be cut, but if you absolutely had to get rid of either PT or Ingram I would opt to keep Ingram. It really has nothing to do with the whole who's better argument either, it boils down to simple mathematics. PT is 28 and entering his 7th year in the league, while Ingram is 23 and entering his 3rd year in the league. Its clear they drafted Ingram to be the future RB for this team, and I love PT, but going into his 7th season, he is getting long in the tooth for an NFL RB.

Its clear they drafted Ingram to be the future RB for this team, and I love PT, but going into his 7th season, he is getting long in the tooth for an NFL RB.
Yeah, but the point I was making just tonight was that the Saints -- while maddeningly for no apparent good reason go away from something that seems to be working -- don't use up legs like the Failcons do for Turner or Bears do for Forte. Not saying that's the right way to go but just a point that PT may have more leg left than we think.

I'll be surprised at any cuts on O except for Devery. Obvs some personnel has to go; but the way I feel about the offense, I'm good and hate to lose anyone. IE, I don't feel like there's anyone who's an obvious liability.

The way I/we feel about the defense, I won't really be surprised at any cut. IE, there's more than enough obvious liabilities to go around.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom