Who Will Break Out This Year? (1 Viewer)

Who Will Have a Breakout Season?

• Tre'Quan Smith

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Erik McCoy

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Marcus Davenport

Votes: 43 37.4%
  • Trey Hendrickson

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Shy Tuttle

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • C.J. Gardner-Johnson

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Deonte Harris (Specifically on offense)

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's between Davenport and CJG to me because Davenport had a good start to the year before his injury having 6 sacks before his season got tripped up.

CGJ is a player who showed ability but his second year could be the year where he is a wild card on defense because he has a year under his belt and already has a role on defense

Last edited:
Spot-on Brother. And to back your position, the Saints are paying him $8 million a year to show how much of a huge impact they believe he will have, and not just riding the bench as QB2.

They paid him for what he's done not where they expect him to be. Winston signed and was immediately the #2 QB, Hill was rewarded for his contribution on Special Teams as a H-Back and QB not for his potential as the future signal caller

If anything it's an open competition and there is no way Hill is going to outplay Winston at the QB position so I don't see how Taysom could even be in the discussion.

Ignoring rookies, which Saints player will breakout for us this year. My personal thought is C.J. Garnder-Johnson who makes the leap to arguably the best slot defender in the league this year. Who do you all think?

Note: Breakout player means a young player (at tops this is his fourth year in the league) who's not a pro bowler or all pro, but who will take a leap to be those or are close to that level.
He was top 3 last year and having only played half the season roughly. But yeah I think he gets major recognition this year. He’s great in coverage and a heat seeking missile against the run/screens.

Davenport will "break out" if he stays healthy in that he's going into his third year which is a key year for raw younger guys, and he'll have proven that he can put in a full season. I don't think he's going to prove anything we didn't already know (that he's really good when healthy), but a full, healthy year with 16 games of development and he'll be unanimously considered a cornerstone of the team this time next year.

The obvious one to me is super boring but also important: Erik McCoy. He was very good this past year at center already as a rookie and could really break out in his second year, sliding over to guard and not having worry about line calls. I could see him being considered one of the best guards in the league by end of year, as he really is a good player.

I voted CGJ with a close second being Harris..I think both will be game changers at various points in the season with CGJ having some forced fumbles and picks and Harris having some key KR for touchdowns.

I really wish I was more confident in Davenport breaking out...

I think Gardner-Johnson is going to break out in a big way. He has a year of experience under his belt and now he has Jenkins to show him some tricks of the trade. CGJ could be a game changer.

To me Davenport isn't really a break out candidate. It's obvious the man can play. He hasn't set the world on fire but he's created pressure. To me if he reaches double digit sacks that's not really breaking out, that's just meeting expectations.

I think several on this list will break out.
I hope all on this list break out.

But I voted for a darkhorse... TreQuan Smith.
If nothing else, when he's been healthy, he's been really good at finding the endzone. That counts for something.

But I'll take it a step further. One thing in his favor is simply coming into his 3rd year in the NFL and on our roster.
This year is the year he's supposed to pretty much "be what he's going to be". Not last year, and definitely not his rookie year.
Expecting a rookie receiver to come in and make an immediate impact is wishful thinking. It does happen, but it's rare.
Too rare too expect it to happen.

Another thing in his favor is the addition of Emmanuel Sanders. And this speaks to role as much as it does to expectations on Smith.
MT will take up a considerable amount of our opponents' attention. From game planning to game day, defenses will do all they can to
limit Thomas. Sanders will likely get a good amount of attention as well. (Cook, AK, Taysom, etc... will require attention too, but I'm
talking wide outs here.)

In the past 2 seasons, when he's been healthy and on the field, TQS has been the defacto #2 WR, putting him
up against CB1's and CB2's often. By bringing in Sanders, Smith won't see as many match ups against top corners. The further down
the pecking order a WR goes, the further down the pecking order of CBs he will likely be matched up against.

Look at it this way. If TQS is being covered by Lattimore, he's not going to get many balls.. or even targets for that matter. If he's lined
up against Jackrabbit, he'll get a few more balls and likely have a little more success. Line him up Chauncey, and I think that a little bit
more of a fair fight. But if he's being covered by PJ or even P-Rob... I think TreQuan wins often enough to be a real contributor. Note
that most teams don't have the talent or depth we have in our secondary, so this example gets inflated vs lesser defenses.

TreQuan Smith will likely be going up against lesser corners more often this season. IF he also makes a 3rd year leap, which I think it's
somewhat fair to expect... He could become a much more important piece of our offense.

I guess we can rule out Noah Spence. :sad:

If nothing else, when he's been healthy, he's been really good at finding the endzone. That counts for something.

But I'll take it a step further. One thing in his favor is simply coming into his 3rd year in the NFL and on our roster.
This year is the year he's supposed to pretty much "be what he's going to be". Not last year, and definitely not his rookie year.
Expecting a rookie receiver to come in and make an immediate impact is wishful thinking. It does happen, but it's rare.

Another thing in his favor is the addition of Emmanuel Sanders. And this speaks to role as much as it does to expectations on Smith.
MT will take up a considerable amount of our opponents' attention. From game planning to game day, defenses will do all they can to
limit Thomas. Sanders will likely get a good amount of attention as well. (Cook, AK, Taysom, etc... will require attention too, but I'm
talking wide outs here.)

In the past 2 seasons, when he's been healthy and on the field, TQS has been the defacto #2 WR, putting him
up against CB1's and CB2's often. By bringing in Sanders, Smith won't see as many match ups against top corners. The further down
the pecking order a WR goes, the further down the pecking order of CBs he will likely be matched up against.

Look at it this way. If TQS is being covered by Lattimore, he's not going to get many balls.. or even targets for that matter. If he's lined
up against Jackrabbit, he'll get a few more balls and likely have a little more success. Line him up Chauncey, and I think that a little bit
more of a fair fight. But if he's being covered by PJ or even P-Rob... I think TreQuan wins often enough to be a real contributor. Note
that most teams don't have the talent or depth we have in our secondary, so this example gets inflated vs lesser defenses.

TreQuan Smith will likely be going up against lesser corners more often this season. IF he also makes a 3rd year leap, which I think it's
somewhat fair to expect... He could become a much more important piece of our offense.

TQ has flashed his talent numerous times. I think staying banged up has severely impacted his growth as a WR. My concern isn't strictly the injuries he's dealt with, because those happen, and players often have a rough patch with them. It's something about the way his body takes abuse. I don't know how to describe it. He just looks stiff when he catches the ball and takes hits, and I think that's part of why he has trouble staying healthy. I'm no expert, but that's just what my eyes see. I hope he's been training hard to work on that. Maybe some of those Kamara exercises would benefit him.

TQ has flashed his talent numerous times. I think staying banged up has severely impacted his growth as a WR. My concern isn't strictly the injuries he's dealt with, because those happen, and players often have a rough patch with them. It's something about the way his body takes abuse. I don't know how to describe it. He just looks stiff when he catches the ball and takes hits, and I think that's part of why he has trouble staying healthy. I'm no expert, but that's just what my eyes see. I hope he's been training hard to work on that. Maybe some of those Kamara exercises would benefit him.

And maybe getting hit by CB3's and CB4's won't cause as much damage as getting hit by CB1's and CB2's... :peace:

talking wide outs here.)

I agree with you 100 percent. When TQS has been healthy he has been really productive. That Eagles game and the game against Washington in 18 showed what he could potentially be. He has excellent abilities and just needs to be able to stay healthy. In 2019 he showed his abilities in the first game of the year and the last few games when he was healthy.

I can see TQS being a 40-45 catch guy this year on 60-65 targets and grab 7-8 Td passes. Is it Pro Bowl, no but it's highly efficient and that's all New Orleans needs from its players not named M.T, Sanders, Kamara and Cook. Add Taysom Hill and Murray to the mix the Saints have seven efficient players on offense and big time playmaker in Deonte Harris. TY Montgomery, Trautman and Marquez Callaway are 3 Wildcards who I think will have an impact with the Saints offense.

I agree with you 100 percent. When TQS has been healthy he has been really productive. That Eagles game and the game against Washington in 18 showed what he could potentially be. He has excellent abilities and just needs to be able to stay healthy. In 2019 he showed his abilities in the first game of the year and the last few games when he was healthy.

I can see TQS being a 40-45 catch guy this year on 60-65 targets and grab 7-8 Td passes. Is it Pro Bowl, no but it's highly efficient and that's all New Orleans needs from its players not named M.T, Sanders, Kamara and Cook. Add Taysom Hill and Murray to the mix the Saints have seven efficient players on offense and big time playmaker in Deonte Harris. TY Montgomery, Trautman and Marquez Callaway are 3 Wildcards who I think will have an impact with the Saints offense.
I think 30 catches on 45 targets with around 350 yards and 5 TDs would be outstanding for TreQuan in this offense. Most fans would think that to be LOW, but seriously... those numbers would be solid with all the other mouths to feed on our offense. Any more than that would mean either Smith made a HUGE leap or that someone ahead of him got injured. I don't even want to consider that.

So I'll cap his 2020 ceiling at your numbers... 45 catches, 500 yards, 6 TDs.... Only 6 TDs because I think AK goes back to being a touchdown demon this year.

I’m voting Davenport because expectations are down and third times a charm.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom