N/S Who Wins This Hypothetical Trade? (1 Viewer)

HogsNSaints

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I think the Lions are looking to move from pick #3, so I was running through some potential trades in my head and this one made sense to me.. Tell me which side you take:

Lions Get:

Patriots 2020 1st Round Pick (23)
Patriots 2021 1st Round Pick (TBD)
Stephon Gilmore

Patriots Get:

Lions 2020 1st Round Pick (3)

IMO, this deal could make sense for both teams. New England lands Tua and Detroit gets a premiere corner and multiple draft picks.

To me it is a great deal for the Lions. Getting Stephon Gilmore and 2 1st round picks (late in the round even) for an QB with injury concerns is a winner. I note that the Lions still have a very capable guy at QB so the 1st round picks can be used elsewhere.

My initial thoughts are would the coach and GM even be around for the 2021 pick?? And, when have the Pats moved up like that?? I'd want 2020 assets. Just my original thoughts on it. But you pose a great scenario to discuss.

Really comes down to how one values Gilmore. He’s a phenomenal player, but almost 30. Is he worth around the 12th-14th pick in the draft straight up? Because that’s about the point value for him in this trade scenario. He might be. Good question.

After working the numbers, essentially you are getting 2 years of Gilmore at 23m for the value of the 14th pick in the draft. That seems like a pretty strong value for the Lions.

That assumes the contract is just a straight trade and I just put NE at 23 next year. That could change and give the Lions more value.

I'm not a huge fan of trading picks for players but this is a great deal for the Lions imo.

NE
#3 (2020) - 2200

DET
#23 (2020) - 760
#23 (2021) ~ 350 (devalued a round)
Gilmore ~ 1090 (equivalent to about the 14th pick)

Really comes down to how one values Gilmore. He’s a phenomenal player, but almost 30. Is he worth around the 12th-14th pick in the draft straight up? Because that’s about the point value for him in this trade scenario. He might be. Good question.

Bah you beat me to it.

If Tua pans out he will be worth far more than two late round 1st rounders and a 30 year old CB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom