Who won the 2008 Vice Presidential debate? (3 Viewers)

Who won the 2008 Vice Presidential debate?

• Total voters

Lord Scyther

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Who won the debate? And why?

You can use any criterion to judge that you want. If "winning" means not doing as badly as was predicted, then by all means vote based on that. If you value substance over style, make your decision based on that. If you value style and argumentum ad populum over substance, make your decision based on that factor. If you are disenchanted with government, make your decision based on that. If you value which candidate has the best booty or most sex appeal, vote based on that. Biden has some really suggestive baggy eyes.

But this is a public poll so we will know who you voted for, so it would help if you explained why you came to the decision you did.

Last edited:
I disagree with these choices. It is far more dynamic than that.

This whole idea about "who won" bothers me. It all depends on who you are as a voter and what you're looking for.

I voted for Palin, but only because of her caboose. I really wanted to vote for, Neither; another boring tie, but man that butt is just fantastic.

Biden "won" on the substance of the debate.

However, Palin "won" on the control of the debate. She answered whatever questions she felt like answering and wasn't really challenged at any point by the moderator. She turned her side into a long campaign commercial and I personally think that it was a smart strategy.

I don't know if the moderator just sucked or was skittish after all the furor over her book and the implications that were being made. Either way, it worked in Palin's favor.

I vote Biden the overall "winner" because he did answer the questions (most of them to my liking) and seemed very prepared and forthright.

If by win the debate you mean look folksy and average, then Palin won.

If by win the debate you mean establish yourself as the more knowledgeable candidate on the issues, then Biden won.

Its so sad because the spotlight is so on her that its got to be so difficult for her to function. With that said, for the circumstances and the pressure she was under, she did great. For one minute, think about the amount of pressure this woman was under. Biden could pretty much just sit there and relax knowing that the spotlight was on her. She held up much better than i expected. A tie.

Obama should call in sick on Tuesday, and let Biden debate McCain.

Biden won but Palin performed above expectations.

Nothing was done that should change anything however. We didn't see anything we didn't expect. I think Begala after the debate said it best. Biden came to hammer McCain and Palin came to repair her image.

They were both successful.

Its so sad because the spotlight is so on her that its got to be so difficult for her to function. With that said, for the circumstances and the pressure she was under, she did great. For one minute, think about the amount of pressure this woman was under. Biden could pretty much just sit there and relax knowing that the spotlight was on her. She held up much better than i expected. A tie.

So the standard for a tie is that she didn't completely bomb out?

Biden "won" on the substance of the debate.

However, Palin "won" on the control of the debate. She answered whatever questions she felt like answering and wasn't really challenged at any point by the moderator. She turned her side into a long campaign commercial and I personally think that it was a smart strategy.

I don't know if the moderator just sucked or was skittish after all the furor over her book and the implications that were being made. Either way, it worked in Palin's favor.

I vote Biden the overall "winner" because he did answer the questions (most of them to my liking) and seemed very prepared and forthright.

That's because "challenging" Palin would have been equated with "picking on" her.

It was a no win for Biden, so she was free to control the tempo of the debate, to dodge substance and to talk about whatever she wanted to talk about.

I voted tie because it would have been a different debate if it would have been two women or two men involved because the gloves could have come off.

I voted for Palin, but only because of her caboose. I really wanted to vote for, Neither; another boring tie, but man that butt is just fantastic.
You kind of had to be there in the chat :hihi:

"Win" would normally mean: did either of them earn any votes for their side? I doubt it, except possibly Joe's personal comments might have won a few (and I emphasize "few") wavering votes in Pennsylvania and other Mid-Atlantic states by reminding them of his resume and personal history..

But on NPR they were suggesting another definition of "win" for Palin, which is, even if she doesn't turn around McCain's campaign, does she rehabilitate her own reputation, such that she may be a viable figure in national politics in the future. And I hate to say it, but she probably did.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom