Who won tonight’s quarterback battle? (1 Viewer)

Who won tonight’s quarterback battle?

• Jameis

Votes: 307 92.5%
  • Taysom

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • Trevor

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • Tacoes

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • Nobody

Votes: 4 1.2%

• Total voters
I'm not disagreeing with you. A QB with 70 plus games as a starter should be more polished, composed, quicker, and in a word better than a guy who started 4 games in an emergency.
If he was... We wouldn't get him at a bargain deal.

We wouldn't have to get him to change his philosophy and rework his throwing mechanism and footwork.

We wouldn't have him sit under Drew and go to Tom Couch to help him be a better QB.

Winston was dreadful in camp last year. You're not getting a prime Drew over night, but he's 27. He's only getting better.

I'm not disagreeing with you. A QB with 70 plus games as a starter should be more polished, composed, quicker, and in a word better than a guy who started 4 games in an emergency.

The rub is that Jameis wasn't all that much better according to many observers.

Is it possible that Payton thinks Taysom can make up most of that ground with a year of experience as the starter? And then you add in the rushing.

winston is at 10 tds to 4 ints in camp
vs

taysom 3 td's to 6 ints in camp

also winston is completing 67% of his passes in camp to taysom 65%

It's playing out the way I hoped it would with Winston. My first reaction there was mention of picking him up was a head scratcher until I started to really think about it. We are getting a more experienced, more mature and humbled version of Winston. Add in corrective eye procedure, a year behind Brees and Payton's coaching, etc. We are getting a hungrier, very talented player. Still a goofball at times, but now I regard it as charm. ;)

The rub is that Jameis wasn't all that much better according to many observers.

Is it possible that Payton thinks Taysom can make up most of that ground with a year of experience as the starter? And then you add in the rushing.
This came up in another thread but Taysom's running style as a QB is going to get him hurt (he runs like a power back, kinda like Cam). He's fast but he's not elusive and he doesn't seem to process his reads quick enough to take the yards when they are there.

To some extent no matter which QB Sean picks will be a roll of the dice.
But Payton has to base his choice on something. I have to believe the two top criteria are:
1.) Knowing the playbook
2.) The individual performances in practice & in the preseason.

Both players seem to have hit the 'book' hard and know all the plays.
But Winston has outperformed Taysom to date, and there's no reason to think it's been a fluke.
Unless there is another requirement by Payton where Jameis has been lacking, it's time to pass the torch.

I was being sarcastic. However, I stand on firm ground that it is a statistical flyer. Jameis took a chance and he beat the odds.

Apparently, I failed to make a simple point. I must be a glutton for punishment because I'm trying again.

Last three years in Tampa stats for all passes that traveled more than 30 yards in the air past the line of scrimmage. I chose this range because it covers both throws Jameis completed on Monday.

2017 23 Attempts 4 Completions 17% 2 TDs 1 Interception
2018 17 Attempts 6 Completions 35% 2 TDs 3 Interception
2019 38 Attempts 12 Completions 31% 4 TDs 1 Interception
Total 78 Attempts 22 Completions 28% 8 TDs 5 Interception

3 Years and 38 games produced only 8 TD passes comparable to the two he completed on Monday.

2 such TD passes in one-quarter of play vs 8 TDs in 38 games

If you still don't get how unusual Monday was I give up.
Thank you for giving up. I appreciate that aspect of your "argument." /s

You are really twisting yourself up into a pretzel to stay committed to the whole passive-aggressive soap-box you have constructed. Jameis played lights out on Monday. He did better with the 2s and 3s against BALT than TH did with the 2s and 3s against J'ville. He has outperformed Taysom in the practice stats compiled by beat writers.

Every pre-snap read he made on Monday was the correct one. Every line change protection call he made was correct. Every post snap read he made was right. Every pass but one was placed in the perfect spot. The two deep passes fit all those categories, great pre-snap read, great protection change, great diagnosis of the coverages at the start of the play, great execution on the throws to guarantee the worst outcome would be an incomplete, while giving the receiver the chance to make an NFL quality play. In contrast, TH looked like a deer in the headlights. He is a great athlete and a real weapon with the ball in his hands on designed runs (or after a reception), but he cannot process the game in real time, either before the snap or after the snap.

JW might have some real ups and downs this year and maybe the Saints will not win as many games as they did with Drew, but if you cannot see which way the wind is blowing here, then at least spice up that weak sauce you trying to spread here.

If we just take a simple approach of per quarter performances by Winston and Hill in the three major categories: offensive points scored, sacks, and turnovers... based on the two preseason games, this is the result:

Winston
Points Per Quarter: 14
Sacks Per Quarter: 0.5
Turnovers Per Quarter: 0.5
Projected Game Totals: 56 points, 2 sacks, 2 turnovers.

Hill
Points Per Quarter: 3.33
Sacks Per Quarter: 1
Turnovers Per Quarter: 0.333
Projected Game Totals: 13.32 points, 4 sacks, 1.332 turnovers.

I find surprising on this poll that Trevor Simien is ahead of Taysom Hill. If you said 3 weeks ago that Trevor would beat Taysom in a poll for starting QB, i would of thought funny joke

I find surprising on this poll that Trevor Simien is ahead of Taysom Hill. If you said 3 weeks ago that Trevor would beat Taysom in a poll for starting QB, i would of thought funny joke
Taysom is going through a rough patch right now.

One could even make the argument that Jameis hurt his case. Payton might consider the throws were risky and evidence that Jameis is still the No Risk-It No Biscuit gambler.

They were nice throws though.

Is this sarcasm? Because if it isn't then it is lunacy to suggest that a QB hurt his standing when he went 9 for 10, 2TD's in less than 1 quarter of football....those were perfect throws, only the WR had a chance to catch them....oh and he had 0 turnovers...

a lot of people were wrong about winston, look at this. i mean i know its preseason. But i have never seen winstons pff grade this high ever

Oh I agree. Well, I don’t think technically anyone is wrong, yet. We still have to see the regular season.

But, too almost disregard his pinpoint accuracy that he displayed and the longest pass we’ve seen completed for the Saints since 2016 with some useless crap is non sense

Is it just me or was it the pass interference on the first TD that put Calloway in position to catch the ball?

Is it just me or was it the pass interference on the first TD that put Calloway in position to catch the ball?

a lot of people have differing opinions on the play, some think the ball was under-thrown( but callaway somehow still had to dive for the ball), other think that a legit safety or cb would have picked it off. Either way its 1st and goal at the 1. So it was a great call and play

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom