Who would be ok with Matt Cassel as a Back Up (1 Viewer)

Id rather have Ryan Fitz

Ryan has a better chance of getting another starting job then Cassel does, so Cassel would be more realistic. I would honestly prefer Fitz, but who knows. I honestly believe Payton is already looking at some lowly rookie that will go undrafted, and will be the next Drew Brees. :ezbill:

I think he is a quality backup who has shown he can do well in a good system (KC was not such). It depends on whether or not someone (Arizona) would give him starting money. Otherwise, I think the Saints could be a great destination for him and he could do the job for them as well. In fact, I don't see a better candidate. Again, though, the price has to be right. He may come later rather than sooner to see if one of the hungrier teams will give him a shot (and a fat contract) to be a starter.

I think they should call Vince Young. He wants back into the NFL why not as a back-up. He was a back-up in Philly. Yeah, I know. He's a head case but Payton can handle him. He wouldn't cost very much either.

Accuracy is the top thing to look for to me. Couldn't care about arm strength as we'd probably keep it close to the vest offensively if Brees went out for any stretch. Should be able to find a ” weaker” armed qb that will sign cheap.

I would not mind if the price is right. However, I hope we dont sign a backup QB until after the draft. I would like to be open to BPA opportunities and I am not fond of carrying 3 QBs.

I don't know if he will come cheap... he might as a backup.

Chiefs release Matt Cassel | ProFootballTalk

I would not mind him filling Chase's spot.

So Casell was a perennial bench QB. With no warning Brady goes down and he leads the Pats to 11-5. The Pats have a complex offensive system, as do we. When I 1st read the title, I thought, "No." But after a few seconds, I thought this may be superb. Either Casell or McCoy. Both of them come from QB hell.

Study behind one of the greatest QBs to ever play? Sure, I'd be pushing and shoving to be in that spot. (Kolb/Cassel/Fitzpatrick)

I would not mind if the price is right. However, I hope we dont sign a backup QB until after the draft. I would like to be open to BPA opportunities and I am not fond of carrying 3 QBs.

Drafting a QB to take the reigns is as risky as anything else. We would be better to get a Brunell type in here now, while the Vet minimum group still have a selection to choose from. Its romantic to thing that we will draft an Aaron Rodgers, ala Brett Favre/GB type situation, but it's a real shot in the dark...and we have nothing spectacular coming out of college right now. Green Bay tops the list of QB drafts picks since 1993, and they finally hit on AR. Here are the Most QBs Selected In Draft Since 1993 (Favre took the raigns in 92). Packers went in 11 times before with Rodgers and Brooks being the only notable achievements:

QB/picks/Win pct
Packers/11/.638
Ravens/10/.549
49ers/10/.533
Chargers/10/.510
Patriots/9/.651
Steelers/9/.637
Jets/9/.480
Redskins/9/.419
Packers QBs not just Favre, Rodgers - Stats & Info Blog - ESPN

If the FO can pay one of those guys close to min., and they agree, we need to get him in as security in case something happens, unspeakable, next year. Then continue to draft until we hit gold on Brees replacement (who knows when that may be).

There is a reason he is known as Matt Casselhole in K.C.

Matt Moore and Jason Campbell are still out there as well. If we are looking for someone thats going to come in, takeover for Drew in a Kurt Warner type way...keep dreaming. None of those guys may ever pan-out to be that. We just need a backup that will suffice until we get our next Golden Boy.

Is Flynn available?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom