Whoa! UPDATE THURS 2/20 ! More Stunning Claimed Insider Info on Burrow, Brees and AK........ (46 Viewers)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Checked with the powers to be on the board and got the go-ahead to post Coach Pete updates in the thread.

I'd like to state that this is information Coach Pete is claiming he is getting from insiders. Until proven, this should be considered advanced speculation.

1) Yes, the Saints are going after Burrow strong and the conversations with Cincy are still very active
2) The Saints approached Cincy initially with a rough outline of a package that would include draft picks plus a couple of offensive players. Cincy balked so they threw in Marcus Williams as one of the 2 players with Kamara
3) Cincy expressed "some" interest in Teddy. The Saints agreed if that was a key piece they would sign him and trade him if Tedy agreed. But Teddy loves SP and NO. He's happy being a backup with the Saints unless a prime situation comes with a bunch of money to be the starter for a quality organization
4) Cincy came back and made it clear that one of their strategic goals this year was to rebuild the defense since all the other teams in that division have good to really good defenses - edit and they wanted some of NOs star young defenders
5) The Saints balked. Sean Payton does not want to gut his defense of his young stars. Coach Sean believes he needs a quality defense post Brees
6) ) So the Saints just went back to Cincy and said, "Instead of us making stabs at this, would you think this through and tell us what you would want from the Saints to make this deal." Cincy said they will respond (I'm not sure what that means
7) (This one blew me away) Brees has offered to stay for 2-years if they get Burrow. The 2nd year as his backup and mentor. However, Brees would still play a good deal of time and be able to add to his record

It was asked what Pete thought of the new CBA. Pete said he knows very little. The way he handles things like this is that he will wait till the deal is nearly done or done, then call one of his sources to explain to him the key pieces and how it will change the game

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's the latest.

I am going to start this out by saying that Coach Pete can get updated long-term planning on 7 teams, in his words with no bravado at all, just fact, "I can get info as if I were sitting inside team planning meetings." He told me details without naming sources and it's clear what he did over the last 30 years and how that pays off now in info. I'll give one bit. He told me, "The big guy I introduced you to last week (I think it was actually 2-weeks ago) who I was hugging and high fiving, he used to be my high school teammate, later one of my coaches at Texas Lutheran (???) and until recently was a coach for the Cowboys." Whatever that guy knows about the Cowboys inner working, I can pretty well guarantee you that Coach Pete does also. Here's from Pete...

"The Saints are still actively pursuing Burrow. There is now fierce competition since it leaked out that Burrow's agent told Cincy that he wanted to play for Saints and not play for the Bengals. Condom is telling teams that his client wants to play for Sean Payton. The Saints know that they don't have the draft choices to compete, however they believe they can put together attractive packages. If Burrow were not so strong about wanting to play for Sean Payton, the Saints likely could not get him. The Saints are still quite hopeful. In the article where one of the writers said 5-teams were talking to Cincy, he was right about the number of teams, but only got 2 of the teams correctly.

This is not a lock at all, but the Saints are still quite hopeful."
I thought about not posting the following for we all know the response, but

"The Saints do not believe that Brees can play a full season at the level required and then have enough in the tank to win the SB this year. That's why there will be platooning next year at QB if Brees comes back. If they get Burrow, the plan is to use Burrow a fair amount. The Saints have asked Brees to comeback one more year to mentor his successor. Brees is so loyal to Coach Sean and such a class and honorable man, that he is considering this seriously.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

1) To get Burrow, the Saints will absolutely trade Taysom Hill
2) Yes, Burrow's agent is having discussions with the Bengals that Burrow does not want to play for the Bengals
3) Teddy wants to stay in New Orleans. He loves the coaches, the team and the city. Don't be surprised to see him in Black and Gold next year in a backup capacity unless some team he thinks has a chance to go deep into the playoffs makes him an offer he can't refuse
4) As far as any update on Saints getting Burrow, both my reliable sources are in complete lockdown

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Talked to Coach Pete today and asked him, "Is this info leaking that Burrows wants to play only for a serious SB contender legit and if so, could we see and Eli/Elway play?

He grinned from ear to ear and said, "No Comment!"

I pushed him on that and he again said, "No comment. I told you that I should have an accurate, legit update in 2 to 3 weeks."

Now that we know how legit Coach Pete is and how deep are his sources, what does that say? Being an LSU Homer and dearly wanting Burrow, I can't see this picture clearly without prejudice. What do others make of that?

Thx - d

This one is pretty minor. But I have to take a bow to one of our own who posted the following very insightful deductions.

Armstead to Redskins for the #2. Kamara + #2 + #24 for the #1 overall. Done. Realistically, that's all it should take. We are giving them a top 5 producing RB over the last 3 yrs, the number 2 and number 24 pick. They can grab the next best QB and sign the best OL available at 24 which addresses their most serious needs.

Or if we have to give up more picks. We do so but get AJ Green or Taj Boyd in return.
Here's what Coach Pete told me when I asked him about this: from stevo3 and a little more

1) If you remember, I told you that the Saints were talking to 3 teams in the top 4 of the draft. You seemed to miss this. The poster you refer to is spot-on. There are teams in the Top 4 who have coaches and GMs at risk. They want proven star players now. The jump from 24 to 1 is huge. However, if the Saints can cut a deal if not directly with the Bengals, the Saints will try to get a contingent deal in place with 2, 3 or 4, and then have additional conversations with the Bengals in a more realistic, non franching disrupting way.

2) Both of my sources said it will be 2-3 more weeks before they can update me on progress for Burrow. It is unlikley I will get anything from a very reliable source until then.
Gotta run to rehab - lol. Actually chiropractor. My Doc thinks he knows how I injured my lower back, but I cannot discuss. My lips are closed type with extra strength duct tape ;-)

Wednesday Jan 22.

Minor update - Coach Pete....

A source that rarely gets Saints info, so I am suspect on this, but usually provides pretty accurate info told me yesterday that Cincy has swung back from multiple players to Kamara plus draft picks. The Saints offered Kamara plus this years: #1, #3, #4 and next years #2 and #3. Keep in mind that teams are not worried about Kamara, they all understand that he gutted out the last 5-6 games being seriously beat-up. Kamara is a gem and worth every bit of a #1 plus more...and he still likely has 2-4 years of prime career left.

(I asked him a question one of the Who Dats asked for Pete) Coach Payton cannot make a decision like this on his own. Payton functions as the GM when it comes to the final say on any draft or trade, even though Ireland handles nearly all of these matters now. (Pete's opinion not insider). I would think that he started with getting Ireland on his side, went to Loomis and then they took the idea to Mrs. Benson. There's no way they could do a deal of this magnitude without her approval.

I do know that other teams are talking to Cincy also now. But as of last week, the Saints felt they had a real good shot at Burrow, if Cincy actually is willing to trade the pick. The Saints have more in reserve they will offer if necessary, but that would be at the very end if Cincy wants more.

When talking about trading players, the team has to be real careful about this if they have a good team locker room, which the Saints excel at. This can really upset the players which Coach Payton absolutely does not want to do. Besides believing Burrow to be a generational QB coming out of college, Coach Payton is certain that Burrow can pick-up this offense very quickly. Burrow was making a number of 3rd read passes in the championship game, rare for college QBs, especially with the read option heavy in college now.
When I look back at this, if I didn't know Pete so well, I would be very suspect. This is almost the perfect situation to claim major Insider info that if it does not happen, will be very hard, or impossible, to prove it ever occurred. But Coach Pete just does not care about his rep in this area. He makes no money or new training bsuiness out of this.

Personally, I really want Burrow as long as we don't gut the franchise for years. And between Coach Payton, Ireland and Loomis, I don't think they would let this happen. Coach Payton wants more SBs and ultimately to be in the HOF.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday the 18th January,

Jammed in the gym today. All the New Years Resolution. Coach Pete had over 20 he was working out at the same time. Here you go.

1)" The Saints are in full court press mode after Burrow. Nothing back from Cincy that would indicate they aren't considering the Saints proposal quite seriously. They need a bunch of players.
2) Why SP is after Burrow So Much - Very few QBs have the ability to fully comprehend Sean Payton's system. SP is certain Burrow can do that and add the long ball back in his arsenal. How lethal would Taysom Hill be with a QB who can stretch the entire field. If the Saints had gotten Mahomes, ,SP would have happily built an entire offense around his talents. With Burrow, he can step in very quickly to Coach Sean'ssystem. And there is no concern about Burrow under center. He can learn that quickly.
3) What is attracting Cincy is that this deal would come with proven stars eliminating the guesswork out of draftees and gaining top notch starters from Day 1
4) SP wants Burrow at near any cost. Yes there would be a rebuild but the Saints think they can be competitive and maybe a playoff team under Burrow while losing some key players in the rebuild
5) That guy who did the 2 page analysis of the Saints potential losses (that is SammyKnight) was all over what the Saints have been looking at for a year now. They simply cannot keep their all of their young top talent and they want to get something for some those players. Btw: that was really nice piece of work that guy did. So take what he did, add the projected contract cost of keeping all the young talent and then the full picture unveils with which the Saints are planning from.

Who Dats - Don't party yet. There's too much time to go and too many factors. But if I went to LSU and was a Saints fan, I would be very excited right now.
No time to review. Gotta go. So no wordsmithing, grammar and spelllingb will suck! Sorry Who Dats. Girlfriend is expecting me and she has me wrapped around her finger right now - lol.

Edit: Brees size leant to tall receivers. With Burrow, they can add the small Tyreek Hill type players back as recievers to create disruption. The kid who is retruning punts for the Saints now has the potential to be special. The last part about kick returner is purely my opinion.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I don't know if starting another thread was the best way to go, but I decided to just update this thread.

Coach Pete today, Wednesday:

Many major trade agreements are actually done long before the draft, but the NFL does not want them announced until draft day to build maximum suspense and excitement. The deal between Green Bay and the Saints for Davenport was completed 5 weeks before the draft. I knew about this, but because of my involvement, I couldn't say. You kept probing me so I tried to mislead you until draft day. The talks between the Saints and Bengals are quite real and could get completed within weeks. Yes, there are multiple teams talking to the Bengals, but the Saints offer is the most interesting one for the Bengals right now.

There's only one hold-up, the 2nd player besides Kamara. If this goes through, you Who Dats will be surprised at how little draft compensation will be required. Cincy wants Michael Thomas plus Kamara. The Saints are currently taking the position that MT is off-limits. But Coach Payton told the FO, at nearly any cost. My sources are telling me if that holds the deal-up, the Saints will roll on Thomas and include him.

Brees knows he can't play a 19-20 game season with high effectiveness anymore. One of the keys for the Saints is making sure Brees is willing to stay one more year to tutor Burrow and step in if neccessary. That has not been agreed upon yet.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After Coach Pete told me what I will share in a moment, I told him,

"Pete, it's taken 4 years to build your rep and respect on the SR board where your posts average in the 90+ positive percentile. You don't have to go this far out. In fact, imo, it's very risky to post what you are saying. Your rep could get ruined on the board over these predictions if proven there is no real substance behind these predictions."
Coach Pere came back with:

I have no goals to do anything different from what I am doing in the health business. I Love helping others achieve health levels they deemed impossible and to watch the positive changes in their entire lives. It's mind, body, spirit for me. When my pro rehab and combine businesses dried up a few years ago, I no longer had to stay team neutral. So I decided on the Saints because I love Brees since high school and I thought you and I could have some fun, you being a die-hard Saints fan. I have no financial goals or ego goals tied to what you and I have been doing on that big Who Dat fan board. The info I am getting is from very trusted, long-term inside sources.
1) Davenport
- appears to be doing much better and may be ready for training camp. The coaches are still considering moving him to the left side, swapping with Jordan, since his left leg is still healthy and he can push-off with that leg. But there is no guarantee that Marcus can make the adjustment.

2) Burrow - Is the #1 goal of the Saints entire offseason. Weekly conversation are being held with Brady about Burrow's interest in the Saints which is sky high, as well as any potential hidden injuries which they believe are none that are serious. The conversations with the Bengals are not exploratory. They have and are continuing to have conversations with the Bengals. The Bengals know they need more than one player. They have a ton of holes to fill. The deal is very close. It could blow-up, but the Saints believe it is possible.

Burrow will turn 24 or 25 next season. That scares a number of teams who would prefer a younger QB, preferably coming out early, especially with the #1 or #2 position in the draft. The Bengals and Saints have a verbal agreement in place that is really close. Kamara goes to the Bengals and will be paired with Mixon, a combo Cincy thinks would be disruptive. The Saints are offering multiple 1s and 2s with a couple of future 3rd and 4th rounders. However, the Bengals want one more specific player who the Saints, at least to this point, are not willing to trade. The Saints are offering a few other players instead. Anything can happen to blow this up, but this deal is very close. Sean Payton thinks Burrow is a generational QB like Mahomes and Luck. (I asked who the player was and Coach Pete said that he could not answer that. So he knows).

3) Brees - I need no one to tell me how great Brees is. As a former coach, I see things Brees does which most fans cannot, and Brees is unbelievable in his trade. If they get Burrow, they want to start Burrow next year, especially since he knows the Saints offense. At this point, Brees is willing to stay in a mentor, quasi back-up role (I can't believe this personally). Brees knows, SP knows and the FO knows that Brees cannot play at a high level for an entire season and the playoffs. Brees could start the season then Burrow could come in after 3-6 games. Then they rest Brees for a playoff run if Burrow stumbles at all.

4) LSU Players and the Saints - because of Brady being in his role at LSU, the Saints have a lot of confidence in Brady's evaluation of talent. Remember the relationship Coach Sean had with Urban Meyer and all the players the Saints drafted from Ohio State. I expect to see the Saints drafting a lot more players from LSU than in the past. Brady and SP are talking every week now on a scheduled call about LSU players coming out this year.
To me personally, much of this seems way far out and a major reach. But when I looked back at Coach Pete and asked him if he wanted me to post this, he had that cocky smile and said, "Äbsolutely! everything I'm telling you is real, not any guesswork on my part."

I have my doubts, but I would never bet against Coach Pete when he has that smiling cocky look on his face and he tells me his sources are strong on certain info. I even asked Pete if he was smoking stoner stuff or the Docs have him on new meds. He just laughed and said that this is all legit.....

Last edited:

FootballLady

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Which is EXACTLY why you dont post something as truth when it has the distinct possibility of NOT being true.

I remember a lesson in grade school. Teacher whispered to the kid in the first chair - he was then told to whsiper it to the next and that kid to the next til it got to the end. The last kid was then asked to repeat the phrase.

Not even close.

Swimmer gets info from Pete. Pete has to get his info from someone. That someone has to get their info from someone.

Thats four separate people that tell the tale. Each time its RETOLD, its retold with a hint of bias that person has. So by the time it gets HERE...not close.

Thats what most are trying to say here. Ease up on presenting as fact.
Exactly. Lies, even entertaining ones, have consequences.

OP
OP
Swimmer

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I haven’t. A bunch of people have texted me and tweeted me things about it.

And to Reno, I’m not discrediting anyone. I’m commenting on one thing out of the many things that were said. I worked in this city and care about the people in it. So, if I know something, I’m going to say it.
Thanks Nick. I appreciate your insights. I find it so funny on social media, which I don't do at all except for SSF, that a small portion wants to prove certain things false. So they go into attack mode of every detail. These attackers make the assumption that if they prove one detail false, then everything the poster has said is false. So the ones who want to discredit the Burrow thread will jump on this to try and discredit.

Regardless of that, Coach Pete nailed the Davenport pick and this board exploded. One minor reporting detail does not remove Davenport from the Saints roster.

Take care. I miss your articles.

-Dan

efil4stnias

one lonely Beastie i be...
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Exactly. Lies, even entertaining ones, have consequences.
exactly right. I posted that same sentiment earlier in this thread. What if the Saints have had talks with the Bengals including that of Kamara? Now this info is "out there" and folks will now have to address it with others AND Kamara.
But what if its false? Now all parties are having to answer for something that was generated out of a rumor. Creates a whole bunch of chaos where none was really needed.

I get the penchant to drop info well before another. But its the same reason journalists verify info before telling it....because if its incorrect, you upset a whole other set of people that had no reason to be upset to begin with.

OP
OP
Swimmer

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
coping mechanism?
Actually because I'm giving my GF, soon to be fiance, her engagement ring tonite. I am like a gooning like an idiot right now, like a 18 year old male, boy do I wish, who is going to celebrate with My Juliet tonite.

Davenport is a Saint. A very minor detail is challenged as false and about 10-15 SSF Who Dats act like this is a big deal. It just seems funny to me.

baarbogast

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Actually because I'm giving my GF, soon to be fiance, her engagement ring tonite. I am like a gooning like an idiot right now, like a 18 year old male, boy do I wish, who is going to celebrate with My Juliet tonite.

Davenport is a Saint. A very minor detail is challenged as false and about 10-15 SSF Who Dats act like this is a big deal. It just seems funny to me.
Congrats Swimmers....

AARPSaint

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Please convey my sincere condolences to her. :D

Just kidding, congrats Swimmer!

Reaction score

Did you meet Juliet in the gym?

OP
OP
Swimmer

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Please convey my sincere condolences to her. :D

Just kidding, congrats Swimmer!
Brilliant, LMAO!!! The 2 previous exes after years with me were on heavy doses of Prozac. I hope I lost that magic - lol

Fun aside, Thanks so much for the kind words

Hedon James

the agitant f/k/a Jekylz Hyde
Reaction score
Garden of Hedon...wherever I am, there I are...
yeah, I don't understand the armchair Sherlocks trying to discredit. It's one thing to state why YOU don't believe, but I don't understand the attempts to discredit.

I believe Swimmer has an "in" with Coach Pete; and I believe Coach Pete has an "in" with the Saints. But I also believe situations are fluid, and I believe the Saints pursue multiple avenues simultaneously, before choosing the best path forward. Just because the trail of breadcrumbs stopped, doesn't meant the Saints weren't walking that path.

I don't KNOW anything for certain, but I BELIEVE the following about Davenport:
- CP knew of the Saints interest in Davenport and that they had the parameters of a "deal" worked out with GreenBay, subject to draft day events (fluid!)
- I believe the Saints had similar talks with other teams in the same range of picks as GreenBay; maybe they had "other" agreements in place, maybe not
- I find it easy to believe the Vikings WERE the most aggressive in attempting to trade up for Davenport
- I find it just as easy to believe that GreenBay preferred the Saints deal over the (better) Vikings deal, because the Saints aren't in the Packers division
- I don't see how any of the facts we KNOW today would contradict any of the scenarios that I believe are reasonable and consistent with the Saints modus operandi; feel free to disagree, but no one here has PROVED anything to prove or discredit that it happened how I believe it happened

Based on the above, I BELIEVE the following about Burrows:
- the Saints are absolutely interested in Burrows (along with 31 other teams)
- I believe the Saints have inquired as to the cost to move up to #1
- I also believe they're inquiring the cost to move up to the top 10, as well as the teens, and the benefits of trading down
- I believe they'll weigh the costs & benefits of any moves, based on fluidity of situations in the movement (they do this EVERY year, and rarely stay put!)
- I do NOT believe the Saints will "pay the price" to move up for Burrows; while I'd love to have him for the next 20 years, I do not want the Saints to pay the price we think it will take to acquire him; there's no guarantee he'll be a generational QB, which will be the ONLY way to justify the cost; it is just as LIKELY that he'll be a "good" or "average" QB, and it's also possible he'll be a bust
- I believe the Saints NEED to draft a QB; i also believe the "opportunity cost" between QB prospects isn't as great as being portrayed. I believe we're a playoff team with a low-risk, low-ceiling QB like Teddy B.; I believe a similar quality QB could be had THIS YEAR at a much lesser cost; we don't NEED a QB to "lift the franchise" (although that IS the goal), we just need one to maintain it
- I believe CSP knows QBs; he "resurrected" Kerry Collins in NY during their SB year against Ravens, who then regressed when NY let him go; he groomed UDFA Tony Romo into a "good" QB for the Cowboys; and he "elevated" Drew Brees from a pedestrian game manager into the HOF GOAT we see today; if CSP sees something he thinks he can "work with" and mold, I'm all for that....no guarantees, but I trust he knows a little something about it, and I don't think he requires a sure-fire generational prospect to do it!

Referencing neurotik's opportunities to win, or draw, but not lose:
- I believe this applies to the Saints current situation; if the price to move to #1 for Burrows is palatable, you pay the price and WIN; if the price is too much, just keep the talks going until the Bengals make the pick, so that the price is too much for others to trade up also, especially the Panthers & Bucs; this is a draw scenario, as we didn't get Burrows, but neither did the NFCS; if you can't get Burrows, keeping him in the AFCN is probably the 2nd best scenario; we have nothing to LOSE by engaging in talks

Based on the Saints history and their MO, and based on Swimmers prior posts, as well as THIS one....this is what I BELIEVE. Feel free to disagree, or believe something else, but there are no FACTS available to us fans to either confirm or deny the true history. And there likely never will be. To suggest otherwise is a little disengenuous, IMO. So I wish we'd stop bashing each other over alleged "falsehoods" that can't be dis-proven. If you don't subscribe to the belief, that's fine....you're entitled...but please refrain from attributing some careless or even nefarious motive to others for YOUR lack of belief.

When the Saints win their next SB, will it really matter how they got there and who predicted it correctly? JMO...

Reaction score
It's clear that You still have the hots for me Football Lady. Sorry, but I'm off the market - lol
Hey swimmer I hope you keep the updates going ! Don’t let a few bring you down. They are looking for holes but at the end of the day Davenport came to saints. Coach Pete also predicted other things that came true. What I find funny is even underhill did not kill the burrow rumor . Have a good weekend buddy and congrats!

Last edited:

SaintJ

hard, pipe-hittin'
Approved Blogger
Reaction score

"Second marriages are the triumph of hope over experience." -- O. Wilde

Best of luck tonight. Wishing you both well for a long and happy marriage.

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
What I find funny is even underhill did not kill the burrow rumor.
How can the rumor be killed? It's unfalsifiable.

Even if Sean Payton held a press conference and announced: "I fed one our strength guys a line of false info about fake Joe Burrow 'talks' and instructed him to call Pete Rivas and tell him about it" ... even that wouldn't prove that the Saints aren't talking or won't talk to Cinicnnati about trading the #1 pick.

Chuck McGill Esq.

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
At first, I thought I might be offended. But I am sitting here laughing my arse off. I don't know why I'm laughing so hard.

Believers or not, I truly wish all of you to have a wonderful weekend and enjoy life.
How am I supposed to enjoy my life without a Friday Coach Pete update? Don't you understand there is no (real) football this weekend?!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 12, Guests: 25)

Headlines

Top Bottom