whoopsie re: the UN condemning demo of housing units (1 Viewer)

Look up the history of the UN building. They anticipate shutting the whole thing down for three years.

It was built in the 1950s and parts of it are falling apart while everybody argues over who's going to pick up the tab to fix it. Estimated cost to repair? $1.8 BILLION.

Everybody seems to assume that the U.S. will pay for it all...eventually.

REPAIRS WOULD EMPTY THE UN
October 22, 2007

http://www.washingtontimes.com/article/20071022/FOREIGN/110220063/1003/foreign

If I had any influence in the matter, the United States would not be putting up a dime.

What a good excuse to shut down that operation.

Joe

Sen. Vitter weighs in:

“Sadly, the debate on public housing reform in New Orleans has taken a turn toward theater of the absurd," Vitter said. "The United Nations, an organization that has been scrutinized for its exploitation of the poor in the Oil for Food Scandal, has deemed itself a high enough authority to look down its nose at us here in the United States over the public housing debate in New Orleans.

“I encourage the U.N. to focus on cleaning up its own act rather than commenting on our efforts. It surely will keep them busy for the next 20 years or so."

Say what you will about Senator Zipper, but that's good stuff

Look up the history of the UN building. They anticipate shutting the whole thing down for three years.

It was built in the 1950s and parts of it are falling apart while everybody argues over who's going to pick up the tab to fix it. Estimated cost to repair? $1.8 BILLION.

Everybody seems to assume that the U.S. will pay for it all...eventually.

REPAIRS WOULD EMPTY THE UN
October 22, 2007

http://www.washingtontimes.com/article/20071022/FOREIGN/110220063/1003/foreign

Yeah...I read the other day (probably on this board) that when the U.N. approached N.Y. about paying for it, Bloomberg told them to take a long walk off of a short pier. They basically already use and abuse the security (NYPD, NYFD) and the parking situation without paying for it.

It almost mirrors whenever a professional sports team tries to get the Big Apple to pick up any part of the tab for a new facility. N.Y.'s Answer: "No, and you won't leave because it would be financial suicide. New Jersey's next door, and they probably won't fall for that again after the whole Meadowlands thing."

I don't doubt that we (as a nation) will begrudgingly eat the tab -- eventually.

Just to make it interesting a recent survey conducted by University of Texas of those displaced by Katrina that used to live in the projects says 86 percent do not want to return to the projects.

Apparently, only the activists want anyone to live there. What are they going to do, capture people and make them live there?

Oh. link here:

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/03/survey_most_dont_want_to_retur.html

Yeah...I read the other day (probably on this board) that when the U.N. approached N.Y. about paying for it, Bloomberg told them to take a long walk off of a short pier. They basically already use and abuse the security (NYPD, NYFD) and the parking situation without paying for it.

It almost mirrors whenever a professional sports team tries to get the Big Apple to pick up any part of the tab for a new facility. N.Y.'s Answer: "No, and you won't leave because it would be financial suicide. New Jersey's next door, and they probably won't fall for that again after the whole Meadowlands thing."

I don't doubt that we (as a nation) will begrudgingly eat the tab -- eventually.

With all the BS we have to put up with, not to mention the police (etc), the UN should fork over ALL the dough. They are the ones running it down, not us. They don't close just one street. They close down an entire section of the island and it really makes it hard as anything to get the work or do anything remotely close to the UN on those days.

Get the UN out of NYC.

i said it before and will say it again ( incase anyone from the UN reads this board ) ...the buildings in the BW Cooper that are being demolished were slated for demolition and approved for demolition in 2004 due to the inhabitability (is that a word ?) I do the insurance for BW Cooper RMC and know this for a FACT. Plans were to demolish several outdated and inhabitable structures and start construction of the same buildings you see in the Fisher Development in Algiers. Currently those are the ones getting the wrecking ball.

They started tearing down most of the St. Thomas years ago(late 90's, say 97ish or so, most of them were moved into the St Bernard) and the same with the Desire and parts of the Florida.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom