Who's going to be our backup QB? (1 Viewer)

Hill is 3rd on the chart just for this reason. NO WAY possible could couch remove that chess piece from the table.

Taysom as the Backup. Jalen Hurts as the new Taysom in his Joker role and Taysom's backup in 2022.
I could live with this. Rather luck into Watson next year. Texans are idiots, apparently. So we could steal him

Flacco wouldn’t be a bad option, the more veterans and post season experience the better we are off.

Flacco is straight garbage and has been for years, living off his dreamlike 2012 playoff run, which seems like ancient history now. Winston may be the dumbest QB in the NFL. Lick your W, steal some crab legs and sucker punch defenders. This is who ya'll want?? This thread has me very concerned.

Just get a nobody guy to hold the clipboard that has some athleticism. Let Brees and Hill split more snaps...and if Brees gets hurt, transition the offense to Hill. Save the cap space.

Last edited:
Taysom as the Backup. Jalen Hurts as the new Taysom in his Joker role and Taysom's backup in 2022.

Question is will Saints have to trade up to move into the second round to get Hurts? No way we use our first (24th) on him.

I disagree here meily... There aren’t other players like Taysom Hill. He’s extremely unique.
Until Taysom Hill is the full-time starting QB, the Saints would be doing themselves a disservice by having him hold a clipboard on the sideline.
Hill was the best player on the field in the Vikings playoff loss, and he’s a weapon on the offense.

I hear you. but if he is better as a swiss army knife player than a QB who is one injury away of seeing the field (holding a clipboard as you described it) then we made a terrible decision by keeping Taysom and letting Bridgewater go.

I hear you. but if he is better as a swiss army knife player than a QB who is one injury away of seeing the field (holding a clipboard as you described it) then we made a terrible decision by keeping Taysom and letting Bridgewater go.

I just think the Saints would be better served by keeping Taysom in the “Swiss Army Knife” role until he’s the starting QB, than taking out of the offense to protect him “in the event” that something happens and Brees can’t play.

Let Taysom do what Taysom does... If something happens, then the “other” QB plays out the rest of that game and then Taysom takes over in subsequent weeks. Should the situation develop where both Brees and Taysom cannot play QB, then they still have their journeyman vet to step in.

Probably wait till after the draft just in case one Sean really likes doesn’t fall to us. We will likely have a 40+ and 30+ year old QBs on the roster, so a young rookie that can eventually compete with Taysom is the likely way to go. Then if we don’t get one in the draft then we look at the free agents. I mean that’s what I would do.

A name that isn't as exciting to most fans, but that I'd think would be a better fit, is Mike Glennon. We considered taking him instead of Terron Armstead when Tampa took Glennon two picks before us.

Glennon was recommended to Payton by his college coach, who is a friend of Payton's. He's got prototypical size for the position and a good arm. He's young enough, even at 30, to still have a little upside as a quarterback.

He's been solid with the exception of Chicago; and we're starting to see that the problems in Chicago run way deeper than personnel.

Glennon should come cheaply, having been a backup for two lesser teams the two previous years. And he's good enough to be a respectable backup, yet probably wouldn't come across as threatening to Taysom Hill, with a need to re-sign him to a long term deal coming up.

My guess is, Glennon or not, we are waiting to see restricted free agency play out with Hill (by the way, the deadline is April 17). If, as expected, we keep Hill, then we'll pick up a cheap backup. If we do end up losing him, then the door and the cap space open to plop a Teddy 2018 contract towards one of the big name backups.

Before I post this name as a veteran backup QB... know that I am not serious. I'm joking.

ELI MANNING.

A name that isn't as exciting to most fans, but that I'd think would be a better fit, is Mike Glennon. We considered taking him instead of Terron Armstead when Tampa took Glennon two picks before us.

Glennon was recommended to Payton by his college coach, who is a friend of Payton's. He's got prototypical size for the position and a good arm. He's young enough, even at 30, to still have a little upside as a quarterback.

He's been solid with the exception of Chicago; and we're starting to see that the problems in Chicago run way deeper than personnel.

Glennon should come cheaply, having been a backup for two lesser teams the two previous years. And he's good enough to be a respectable backup, yet probably wouldn't come across as threatening to Taysom Hill, with a need to re-sign him to a long term deal coming up.

My guess is, Glennon or not, we are waiting to see restricted free agency play out with Hill (by the way, the deadline is April 17). If, as expected, we keep Hill, then we'll pick up a cheap backup. If we do end up losing him, then the door and the cap space open to plop a Teddy 2018 contract towards one of the big name backups.
You mean the Mike Glennon, the 6'7" QB who has been a failure everywhere he has played? Surely not that Mike Glennon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom