Saints Who's IN/OUT at Safety? (1 Viewer)

Who is in/out at safety this season? (Pick your TOP 3)

• BANJO, Chris

Votes: 20 12.0%
  • BELL, Vonn

Votes: 116 69.5%
  • GARDNER-JOHNSON, Chauncey

Votes: 114 68.3%
  • HAMPTON, Saquan

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • WILLIAMS, Marcus

Votes: 119 71.3%
  • OTHER

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Ask me after OTA's

Votes: 18 10.8%
  • TACOES

Votes: 15 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is the poll for who is cut or who makes the team? Seems like it could go either way.

Gale : All right, ya hayseeds, it's a stick-up. Everybody freeze. Everybody down on the ground.
Feisty Hayseed : Well, which is it, young feller? You want I should freeze or get down on the ground? Mean to say, if'n I freeze, I can't rightly drop. And if'n I drop, I'm a-gonna be in motion. You see...

Why is it limited to 3? The Saints are keeping more than 3 safeties. And what do you want? The cuts or whose in? I'm not saying the poll wasn't a cool idea, I'm just saying it's flawed.

The question was: Who are your TOP THREE. Not saying that only three will make it. But if you had a chance to pencil-in three, who are they?

Can't argue with you that maybe I could have explained that a bit more.

:gosaints:

I think we may keep 5 safeties since CGJ is seen as another corner due to him playing the slot.

FS: Marcus, CGJ, Hampton
SS: Bell, Banjo

We likely keep 10-11 DBs:

CB: Lattimore, Crawley &/or Hardee
FS: Marcus, Hampton
SS: Bell, Banjo
CB: Apple, PJ, Sherels
NB: PRob, CGJ

We pretty stacked in secondary. If everyone stays healthy for a change that could be the strength of the defense. I would like to see us trade Crawley and maybe Tom or Clapp to get us another LB maybe like Darron Lee from the Jets. We don’t need Crawley and he was a pretty decent starter for us two years ago. We got our center now with McCoy and one out of Easton, Tom, & Clapp will likely be gone. We will likely try to put Clapp on the practice squad I would think with other two making it as backup G and C.

Last edited:
We will keep more than three. We may keep up to 5, depending on CB depth and ST play.

Yeah, IIRC, we had 4 last year: Bell, Marcus, Kurt Coleman, and Banjo ( mainly STs). With Gardner-Johnson replacing Coleman, we’re still at 4, with Bell, Marcus and CGJ as the top 3.

The player to keep an eye on as a possible 5th safety is Saquon Hampton. We have no depth behind Marcus at FS right now. So much so, I wanted to see CGJ get some time there to provide depth behind him.

But could Hampton be that guy?

He played pretty well as a “natural FS” in college. And it seems the Saints FO liked him... ALOT! :

“New Orleans general manager Mickey Loomis claims that his staff had Hampton ranked within their best 70 players in the draft, making him a possible steal at the 177th pick.”

Despite us not having a 1st or 3rd rd pick, by most accounts, Erik McCoy was considered a top 25-30 talent ( some say he was the best C in the draft) and we got him in the 2nd rd. Similarly, Chauncey was considered a top 5 safety grading out as a 1st or early 2nd rd pick, and we got him in the 4th rd!

So, IF Hampton ends up being as good as the Saints think he is, .... it would make for one helluva hat trick!!!

I think they all make it. Banjo is best deployed as a STs ace, than an actual S. I think Saquan’s gonna end up being Marcus Williams’ primary back up. They are very similar player types.

Yeah, IIRC, we had 4 last year: Bell, Marcus, Kurt Coleman, and Banjo ( mainly STs). With Gardner-Johnson replacing Coleman, we’re still at 4, with Bell, Marcus and CGJ as the top 3.

The player to keep an eye on as a possible 5th safety is Saquon Hampton. We have no depth behind Marcus at FS right now. So much so, I wanted to see CGJ get some time there to provide depth behind him.

But could Hampton be that guy?

He played pretty well as a “natural FS” in college. And it seems the Saints FO liked him... ALOT! :

“New Orleans general manager Mickey Loomis claims that his staff had Hampton ranked within their best 70 players in the draft, making him a possible steal at the 177th pick.”

Despite us not having a 1st or 3rd rd pick, by most accounts, Erik McCoy was considered a top 25-30 talent ( some say he was the best C in the draft) and we got him in the 2nd rd. Similarly, Chauncey was considered a top 5 safety grading out as a 1st or early 2nd rd pick, and we got him in the 4th rd!

So, IF Hampton ends up being as good as the Saints think he is, .... it would make for one helluva hat trick!!!

We carried 5 last year with JT Gray being the 5th and a frequent game day inactive.

I think we view “slot” as an entirely different position in the secondary and this will have us keeping all 5 of these guys. Unless Banjo gets outplayed on ST, but I don’t see that happening.

There's no reason we can't keep 5. Hell last year we went into the season with 11 defensive backs, 5 of which were safeties. I could the see the same things happening with Lattimore, Apple, Robinson, Williams, Hardee & Sherels at corner and Williams, Bell, CGJ, Banjo & Hampton.

Is the poll for who is cut or who makes the team? Seems like it could go either way.

Gale : All right, ya hayseeds, it's a stick-up. Everybody freeze. Everybody down on the ground.
Feisty Hayseed : Well, which is it, young feller? You want I should freeze or get down on the ground? Mean to say, if'n I freeze, I can't rightly drop. And if'n I drop, I'm a-gonna be in motion. You see...

Raising Arizona. One of my all time favorite movies.

BTW... I’m using my code name.

Williams, Bell, and CJG, of course. It's more about who else will make the cut, so maybe the poll should have been "Who will be our 4th and 5th S"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom