Who's Nicer? Benson or Shinn (1 Viewer)

Who's The Nice Guy???

• Total voters

alon504

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Well, we all know about the Hornets announcing an extension with the State of LA today until 2014. Personally, I think that it was a kind gesture by the Hornets. They added two years to their present lease, to make up for the two years in OKC...and are coaxing fans to come out and see the team and support the city of New Orleans. They aren't going to opt out...it'll cost over $100 million. It's a cushion lease for both the State and the Hornets. But, compare this to Benson. Now I am a Saints fan first, but, I do wholeheartedly support both teams, because I love sports and I love my city and am proud that we have two pro teams. Benson has never been this nice. We've got two more years with the Saints with NOTHING after that....I hope this sensitivity by the Hornets passes on to Benson considering that the Dome has had $200 million in renovations. Yet we have no promise of the Saints staying beyond 2010, and have heard nothing. And the NFL is basically not even considering us for a Superbowl because we are still playing in the Dome. What do you think? Who seems to be nicer? I think, right now it seems to be Mr. Shinn. I challenge the Saints to meet this type of attitude shown to the City and its fans by the NBA.

...Benson has never been this nice....

I'm not a real big Benson fan, but I seem to remember him coming forward when Mecom was in the process of selling the Saints with the intent of moving them to Jacksonville. In so doing, he saved the franchise for the city of New Orleans. Initially, he put together a contingent of investors to buy the team from Mecom. It was only later that he bought out the rest of the investors.

Now, I'm not defending some of the actions taken by Benson in recent years, but I AM questioning the use of the word never in the quote above.

So - give credit where credit is due. And place blame where deserved. But don't overlook the positive things done by Benson for this city. If not for him, the team would now be the Jacksonville Saints. :shrug:

I'm not a real big Benson fan, but I seem to remember him coming forward when Mecom was in the process of selling the Saints with the intent of moving them to Jacksonville. In so doing, he saved the franchise for the city of New Orleans. Initially, he put together a contingent of investors to buy the team from Mecom. It was only later that he bought out the rest of the investors.

Now, I'm not defending some of the actions taken by Benson in recent years, but I AM questioning the use of the word never in the quote above.

So - give credit where credit is due. And place blame where deserved. But don't overlook the positive things done by Benson for this city. If not for him, the team would now be the Jacksonville Saints. :shrug:

I remember that...but, the clock is ticking and the time is coming and I just hope we see something nice from Mr. Benson soon. We've done him right, now, I hope he does us right. We'll see. Right now, it's just score 1 for Mr. Shinn.

I remember that...but, the clock is ticking and the time is coming and I just hope we see something nice from Mr. Benson soon. We've done him right, now, I hope he does us right. We'll see. Right now, it's just score 1 for Mr. Shinn.

How about not raising ticket prices after last years NFC Championship appearence?:dunno:

i think that both will stay but the saints get to much support to leave and have been part of new orleans for over 40 years

Benson can't take the Saints anywhere, a bunch of Investors would come in and pay off Benson in a heart beat and sell the saints to the state if he tries that crap again.

Shinn on the other hand has my support he's not a nice owner by no means, but he's a business man, and this was a great Business proposal for the city, however Shinn has to go out and do his part as well, it's not up to the city to get a TV Airing Deal laid out for his team to air in the most Rural parts of Louisiana so the fan-base can get better, he's got the money and power to go out and argue his case out, he could also do a little more advertising than he is, my family didn't even know the Hornets returned a whole year later!! My brother Loves Basketball but he thought for sure they were still in OKC and probably wasn't coming back now they are trying to support them but im pretty sure other people either have no idea their back or don't know how well they are doing because they can't see the product on their TV. With Cox unable to land some type of deal with some Station the Hornets are being blacked out from Local New Orleanians in the Suburbs that could definately pack an Arena and get behind teams if it means helping the city and the team stay up.

I like what Shinn said on the WWL Sports though, he said he doesn't believe Professional Teams should take from Tax payers and that Owners should work to sell tickets and put the right product out to get by on unless there's some Emergency and the state is willing to help out for a while.
This was a Direct Jab at The Benson led Saints Organization IMO.
However i think Shinn will probably resort to something similar after 2009 and theirs no consistent support for the team or he'll sell or leave, relying on investors from whatever other city wants an NBA team to pay off the Penalty.

Benson can't take the Saints anywhere, a bunch of Investors would come in and pay off Benson in a heart beat and sell the saints to the state if he tries that crap again....

I agree with that in part. I fully believe that if Benson were to try to take the Saints out of state that a contingent of investors would come forward and at least make a valiant attempt to try to keep them here.

But sell to the state? Nope. Can't happen. The NFL has rules about who can and cannot purchase an NFL franchise. There will never again be a publicly held NFL franchise ala Green Bay. The State cannot buy the franchise from an investor group. Against NFL rules...

Current NFL bylaws dictate that an NFL franchise's principal owner must have at least 30-per-cent equity interest in the corporate entity that controls a club, and no more than 25 "owners" can hold equity interest in the team...The sole exception are the Green Bay Packers, community owned as an original NFL franchise and as a result grandfathered in and not subject to the current NFL ownership guidelines.

http://sportsbiznews.blogspot.com/2007/10/nfl-expansion-to-canada-will-not.html

So do you think that Benson led a group to buy the team so that the Saints would remain in New Orleans or because it was an unbelievable investment?

Before answering, bear in mind that he does have a history of actions that clearly indicate his motives. Then ask yourself what Shinn gains by today's agreement.

So do you think that Benson led a group to buy the team so that the Saints would remain in New Orleans or because it was an unbelievable investment?

Before answering, bear in mind that he does have a history of actions that clearly indicate his motives. Then ask yourself what Shinn gains by today's agreement.

Having seen the interviews and read the related media releases at the time, I honestly think it was a combination of the two factors.

Do I think Benson did it at least in part to save the franchise for the city of N.O.? Yes.

Do I think he planned to make money out of it? Absolutely. Every businessman invests with the idea of making money. Including both Benson and Shinn. In fact, I think that when he realized just how much money he stood to make was when he decided to buy out the rest of the investors in his group.

The reason that I answer the first question "yes" is because of the way Benson handled that situation. He did not come straight out and make a bid for the franchise. What he did was to announce to the world that IF NO OTHER GROUP came forward or if Mecom would not change his mind that he would put together a group to buy the franchise. Buddy D broke that story, but Benson was largely ignored by the rest of the media. Buddy D kept telling his listeners not to worry that Benson was serious and that the franchise would not leave. No one listened. Then, a few months later when nothing else developed, Benson's group made their offer and Buddy D jumped up and down with the "I told you sos". :hihi:

My recollection of events and my opinion, FWIW.

Oh, and keep in mind that I did not vote and am not entering the Benson vs Shinn debate. I was merely taking a position on the comment that Benson has "never been this nice"... ;)

All this over Shinn saying, "since we weren't here for two seasons, we'll throw in an extra two?"

It's basically the same as Benson and the state agreeing not to use the out clauses before their contract expires. They're both pretty weak.

We are blessed with the worst owners in the NFL and NBA.

I think this deal just sealed the fate of the Hornets' existence in New orleans.

Sure they re-up'd to 2014, but this clause just gave tham an "out":

The hornets will need to average 14.7K in attendance between December 2007 - the end of the 2008/9 season, or else the Hornets can opt out of the deal and move after the 08/09 season.

Sure it may take a few $$ for them to leave, but I doubt we could get 14K in the arena... :(

They are both nice...when they are doing what we like...as fans...but...the moment one does something we don't like....they're the most evil...sinister person in the world...JMO

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom