Who's On Your Saints Mount Rushmore? (1 Viewer)

Drew
Rickey
Deuce
Roaf (if Demario retires here it may be him over Roaf)

MT just needs a little more time but he will certainly be there... For me

Drew
Sean
City Champ
For us old timers the one guy who gave us hope... Archie

You got 3 out of 4 right but Morten is just a kicker and he kicked for the Falcons against us.

Archie, Rickey, Drew, Deuce.

These are the guys who carried us in different eras when we needed somebody to carry us.

Go back and watch some of those close games that were decided by a FG. You could actually look at some of the opposing teams coaches & players (see 1987 game at Candlestick Park) body language when Morten took the field. It was if they already knew their fate was to accept an L. I once attended a game as a kid (80's) in the Dome and I swear I saw the statistician put up 3 BEFORE we attempted a FG. His PAT were damn near 90% or greater throughout his career. That's the equivalent of Mark Price, Steph Curry or Steve Nash toeing it up at the free throw line.

Morten was damn near an AUTOMATIC 3 POINTS at any distance. The guy was way more than just "a kicker".

His bust sits in Canton for a reason.

Archie seems a forced addition. There are several Saints who had more lauded careers and who contributed more wins.

While you can make a case against Archie as the years go by, one interesting tidbit remains, albeit tainted by who gets to vote on such things.......

He won NFC Player of the Year award from UPI in 1978 after the team went just 7-9. It's equivalent to the MVP award that's eluded Brees for his entire illustrious career. Granted, there's media bias in all the awards, and especially as it relates to Brees. We've talked it to death on here. But it's still worth mentioning.

While you can make a case against Archie as the years go by, one interesting tidbit remains, albeit tainted by who gets to vote on such things.......

He won NFC Player of the Year award from UPI in 1978 after the team went just 7-9. It's equivalent to the MVP award that's eluded Brees for his entire illustrious career. Granted, there's media bias in all the awards, and especially as it relates to Brees. We've talked it to death on here. But it's still worth mentioning.

I guess you just had to be there to see him play to understand Archie. People are putting him on their Mount Rushmore but you look at his stats and it's a horror show. His numbers make Brooks' look like Steve Young.

Archie only had two seasons in which he threw more TDs than INTs. He threw 20 INTs four times. He finished with 35 wins and 91 losses for the Saints. And he's going on Mount Rushmore over guys who are in the Hall of Fame?

I guess you just had to be there to see him play to understand Archie. People are putting him on their Mount Rushmore but you look at his stats and it's a horror show. His numbers make Brooks' look like Steve Young.

Archie only had two seasons in which he threw more TDs than INTs. He threw 20 INTs four times. He finished with 35 wins and 91 losses for the Saints. And he's going on Mount Rushmore over guys who are in the Hall of Fame?

For perspective:

His interception percentage for his entire career is higher than Jameis Winston's worst year. It's also higher than Jamarcus Russell's career.

you simply cannot compare qb stats from 50 years ago to today. The td leader in 1972 was Namath with 19, and he had 21 interceptions that year (4 of the 5 top qbs that year had more ints than tds). Manning was the NFC Player of the year in 1978, was selected as an all-pro once, and went to two pro bowls, and was routinely in the top 10 in passer yards. He was the entire Saints team for a decade

you simply cannot compare qb stats from 50 years ago to today. The td leader in 1972 was Namath with 19, and he had 21 interceptions that year (4 of the 5 top qbs that year had more ints than tds). Manning was the NFC Player of the year in 1978, was selected as an all-pro once, and went to two pro bowls, and was routinely in the top 10 in passer yards. He was the entire Saints team for a decade

It's true, you can't compare QB numbers from that era to today but you can compare QB numbers to other QBs who were playing at the time. Even then though, Archie's numbers just aren't great. I understand he was NFC player of the year in 1978 and went to a few Pro Bowls but who are you leaving out to put him in?

Four Kickers have made it into the HoF. Morten Anderson is one of those four. He was named All Pro 6 times. He went to the Pro Bowl 7 times. He was named to the 1980s All Decade Team. He was named to the 1990s All Decade Team.

Willie Roaf was named All Pro 9 times. He went to 11 Pro Bowls. He was named to the 1990s All Decade Team. He was named to the 2000s All Decade Team. He has a bust in Canton.

Rickey Jackson was named All Pro 5 times. He went to 6 Pro Bowls. He has a bust in Canton.

Drew Brees is the best statistical passer in the history of passing. He's a no doubt about it first ballot guy.

Which one of these guys is out because Archie Manning was the best thing about a bunch of terrible teams?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom