Who's On Your Saints Mount Rushmore? (1 Viewer)

Archie seems a forced addition. There are several Saints who had more lauded careers and who contributed more wins.

Absolutely correct on this bolded part.

But he was all we ever had for the first 20 years that was ever anything, and that's 40% of the franchise's existence. You can't just erase the past.

And he took his beatings and stayed a local guy and never ever ever complained win or lose -- if that doesn't epitomize everything about what a Saints lifer is, I can't help you.

Not to go all Catholic on you, but if you think of him as our Moses (who himself never got to the Promised Land after all that effort). or John the Baptist (foretelling of the future), it's easier to understand.

You can say this is an old-timer's confirmation bias, but my gentle response would be....go **** yourself. If we hadn't hung in there, the NFL never steps in in 1984 to see if they could find a local buyer, the Pritzkers buy the team and move it to Jacksonville, and this website doesn't exist.

No Manning, no Mount Rushmore, and we're the Canton Bulldogs.

Forgot the OP, sorry:

Rickey
Drew
Willie
Archie

I keep seeing Willie mentioned like it is a no doubt. But I'd like to make a case that Jahri Evans is at least as deserving as Willie if not moreso based on what they did as Saints. Jahri played 11 years with the Saints, Willie only 9. They each made All-Pro 5 times but Willie was 2nd 3 times and 1st only once, wheras Jahri was 1st team 4 of his 5. No one, and I mean NO ONE else in franchise history has more than half as many first team All-Pro picks as Jahri. Jahri has 4 and several have 2(Willie, Morten, Pat Swilling, and MT) and a bunch have 1. Add in his 6 Pro Bowls, which to me only count half as much as an All-Pro team because of having so many people make it and how the voting goes, Jahri is the most decorated player in franchise history and deserves a spot. I think he will be in THE HOF not long after he is eligible.
I am putting:
Drew Brees
Jahri Evans
Morten Anderson
The Dome Patrol

No doubt that Jahri was a great Saints player but he also had the luxury of playing all his time with the Saints with a guy named Brees at QB while Roaf played under Wade Wilson, Jim Everett, Heath Schuler, Kerry Collins, Billy Joe Tolliver, Jeff Blake, and his last season with the Saints Aaron Brooks. Not to mention four head coaches and a revolving door of offensive coordinators so that ends the Evans vs. Roaf debate for me.

If Roaf plays his entire career under Brees and Payton with all due respect to Evans he's not even in the conversation.

Archie, RJ, Drew, and Deuce at the moment. In 5 years Archie, RJ, Drew, and MT13..
ALL we had back in the day was Archie..... Imagine how bad we would have REALLY sucked without him.
No disrespect to, DH21, EM 81, SM51, VG53, PS56. (I just realized that I am 8 days older than PS.)

Absolutely correct on this bolded part.

But he was all we ever had for the first 20 years that was ever anything, and that's 40% of the franchise's existence. You can't just erase the past.

And he took his beatings and stayed a local guy and never ever ever complained win or lose -- if that doesn't epitomize everything about what a Saints lifer is, I can't help you.

Not to go all Catholic on you, but if you think of him as our Moses (who himself never got to the Promised Land after all that effort). or John the Baptist (foretelling of the future), it's easier to understand.

You can say this is an old-timer's confirmation bias, but my gentle response would be....go **** yourself. If we hadn't hung in there, the NFL never steps in in 1984 to see if they could find a local buyer, the Pritzkers buy the team and move it to Jacksonville, and this website doesn't exist.

No Manning, no Mount Rushmore, and we're the Canton Bulldogs.

He's an integral part of the team's history, no question, but his on-the-field contributions jus don't measure up. He was the best of a very bad bunch, true. Now, if you want to argue for his overall contributions, which include his broadcast time after he was done playing? I think there's a solid argument there.

Mount Rushmore:

Brees
Roaf
Jackson
Mills

Mount Need-To-Do-More:

Jordan
Thomas

If Jordan gets to 100 sacks, he’s easily right there with Jackson as our best defender in history, and would replace Mills. Thomas is a shoe-in to replace Roaf, by virtue of his five year extension. It’s inevitable.

Go back and watch some of those close games that were decided by a FG. You could actually look at some of the opposing teams coaches & players (see 1987 game at Candlestick Park) body language when Morten took the field. It was if they already knew their fate was to accept an L. I once attended a game as a kid (80's) in the Dome and I swear I saw the statistician put up 3 BEFORE we attempted a FG. His PAT were damn near 90% or greater throughout his career. That's the equivalent of Mark Price, Steph Curry or Steve Nash toeing it up at the free throw line.

Morten was damn near an AUTOMATIC 3 POINTS at any distance. The guy was way more than just "a kicker".

His bust sits in Canton for a reason.
I worked with a guy from Denmark. They only know soccer. However the whole country knows The Great Dane.

Manning - He was the one shining star. When he talent around him, he was phenomenal.
Jackson - He was great before the "Dome Patrol" was a thing and is easily the best of the four. I would put him in the all-time greats.
Brees - I think it goes without saying.
Andersen - One of the best kickers of all time.

Honorable Mentioned: Roaf. He was one of the best OL we ever had. I just can't see replacing him with any of the ones listed.

Anyone dealing with the Saints like players, coaches, owner:

Brees, Payton, Rickey, Roaf (tough not to put Benson in there)

Players:

Brees, Rickey, Roaf, Thomas (it’s crazy since he’s so early in his career, but he’s already an all time great as a Saint in my book) I could almost put Morten Anderson in there until Thomas reaches more years here, but I think he will be here for quite sometime

Archie
Rickey
Drew
Mike Thomas

It's very close with about 10 others, but these guys must make the cut.

Give me a giant Rushmore of 10 players, and I'll play along. But only 4? People like Deuce, Roaf, Martin, Payton, and Horn are passed over? that's brutal, and I'm not playing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom