Whose Rating Will Soar At Combine-Workouts? (1 Viewer)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
A few weeks back, I tried to list those players in this draft worthy of a top 10 pick. There aren't many. In fact, at this time, I am going to suggest perhaps eight: Dorsey, Ellis, Chris Long, Vernon Gholston (assuming a very good time 40 time), McFadden, Matt Ryan, Jake Long, and Ryan Clady (and some might disagree). Note no wide receivers or tight ends, no linebackers, no defensive backs.

I just listed eight players worthy of a top 10 selection. We pick 10th--on the cusp of getting a top player, but not quite high enough to get one.

So my question is this: Which players because of the combine and workouts will soar in the rankings and might be considered as a top 10 player before the draft? It happens every year.

I'll throw out one name: Miami defensive end Calais Campbell. Tall, big, has a frame to get bigger, and plays a position that is a premium position. If he runs a great 40, he could go high.

Whomever are the combine heroes, I hope the Saints stay away from. They need football players. Not people who look good and run fast in shorts.

Cromartie could move into round 1
Lofton could move into early second late 1st
Ellis could move infront of Dorsey.

A few weeks back, I tried to list those players in this draft worthy of a top 10 pick. There aren't many. In fact, at this time, I am going to suggest perhaps eight: Dorsey, Ellis, Chris Long, Vernon Gholston (assuming a very good time 40 time), McFadden, Matt Ryan, Jake Long, and Ryan Clady (and some might disagree). Note no wide receivers or tight ends, no linebackers, no defensive backs.

I just listed eight players worthy of a top 10 selection. We pick 10th--on the cusp of getting a top player, but not quite high enough to get one.

So our draft strategy should reflect this reality. If there are only 8 players worth top 10 pick, then depending on FA, we should either move up, or move down from the 10th spot.

If we fill in our defensive needs mostly in FA, and leave ourselves open....say at the DT position, then moving up for one of the 2 premiere DTs makes sense......if we take care of our front 7 needs in FA (C Williams, L Briggs).....then we should move down from the 10th slot to fill in secondary needs...FS, CBs are plenty in the 15-30 range

Whomever are the combine heroes, I hope the Saints stay away from. They need football players. Not people who look good and run fast in shorts.

Just because someone moves up at the combine does not mean they weren't great players in college and won't be in the NFL.

Cromartie is a fine example of this.

Depening on what happens with Dorsey's knee. If Ellis works out at the combine and Dorsey doesn't I could see Ellis being the first DT taken. Dorsey may "fall" all the way to 4 or 5.

Kenny Phillips could move up with a quick 40 and shuttle drill. As long as his 40's good he'll be in the top 15. I know a lot of people here love him I'm not sold. He may be the best Safety in this draft unfortunately he isn't Ed Reed. I see him as a reach at 10.

There will be at least one "workout warrior", the next Mike Mamula. You know a guy with a second round grade that suddenly shoots up draft boards because he has an eye popping combine. These guys are rarely more than a blip on the NFL's radar and are best to be avoided.

I know Gholston is already a projected top 10 pick, but something about him gives me the feeling that he could be another Mario Williams. I just feel he is going to SOAR to the top after combines, teams are going to go crazy about his "measurables."

Quinton Groves. 3-4 rush linebackers often soar up draft boards. Recent examples Kamerion Wimbley and Manny Lawson. Neither were considered 1st rounders at this point in their respective draft classes

I think Crable is a guy that's going to rise up after the combine. He already has outstanding size, if he runs a good 40 he could shoot up big time.

I don't agree with Lofton moving up......I'm not sure his measurables are going to elevate him much. He seems to be just a gamer. Doesn't have great size or speed but always around the ball and knock the snot out of you.
This could also be wishful thinking because I really hope is there for us in round 2.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom