Why all the bandwagon rage? (1 Viewer)

post count and join date are clear indicators of your fanhood

just sayin

Post Count: ***- I have to post to stupidity and/ or type endless redundant points so that I will have high post count in order to not be considered a bandwagon fan?!

I have stayed up all hours of the night/ morning in order to watch or listen to the Saints games.

Join Date: My join date is not even correct,... but please, joining now doesn't mean you any less of the fan. Some people wouldn't waste their time getting involve in these silly discussion,... they might actually have a job. Additionally, many people may actually lurk without ever actually joining the forum.

The fact is joining date and post count has nothing to do with how long someone has supported the teams. I garantee you they may be a new poster who is a lifelong season ticket holder.

--

Unless you have a join date of August 1967... you need to have your fanhood revoked.

And for all you old timers who have followed the team for 43 years, from Fears through Payton, and joined this forum only recently - your lack of internet savvy is appalling, no one cares what you have to say, and you should be banned immediately.

:ezbill:

Seriously, though - the only bad thing about a team having success is when some fans start getting territorial about it. This "bigger fan than you" stuff is straight silly.

***,... I'm screwed, I wasn't even born until 1969!

I can't even remember NOT being a fan of the Saints fan. But I know of a guy who didn't follow the team until after Mora arrived (almost the same age). He has never wavered since. He is as die hard I am.

BTW, I wasn't going to post a response, but I figure since the bandwagon police are making their rounds,.... what the heck, I type something less interesting.

--

I also find it amusing that the same people crying about a lack of respect from the media are the same people complaining about bandwagon Saints fans. So you want the talking head morons to jump on the bandwagon but not people willing to travel to Nola and spend money and scream for the team. Amusing.

:plus-un2:

Cheesy smiley,... a great way for die hard fans to show their loyalty to other anonymous fans. The beauty gets better,... I do not even need to bore people with another redundant post. WOW!

---

...they counterfeit true fandom... That's why. ... Bandwagoners are cheap imitations of true fans. They don't process the joy in the same way, and they certainly don't process the pain in the same way. They aren't invested, and not to start arguing semantics, but they aren't truly fanatics....I'm not saying they need to be called out or forbidden to jump on the train. Nobody has a right to forbid others from doing their own thing. ... Ultimately, the big problem is this: true fans to whom the team's success will be sweet, succulent manna from the gods will have to enjoy themselves right along side a bunch of no-count, late-to-the-party front runners. This is aggravating because the bandwagoners appear to be enjoying the same prize without putting in the hours. Such feeling of resentment are not unique; it's not the only human example of people resenting success deemed to be achieved too easily.

You bring up an interesting point.
In 2001 I moved to Chicago. I loved the game of baseball, but what team to support; Cubs or White Sox? I chose the Sox for a variety of reasons. Neither team had a history of sports dominance (In fact, despite the popular momniker, the Cubs enjoy greater success than the Sox). I became instant fan. To the point, I took it too hard every single time they lost. I learn to look at it as series, and I did better.

As you may know the Sox won the World Series. By that time, I was a huge die hard fan, but I couldn't help thinking did I feel the joy as great has a person who pulled for the team for 40 years- suffering the losses and the joys for the past 40 years. How would he/ she judge me? I started pulling for them when they were losing and arguably with little hope of winning any time soon (In fact the Cubs were believe and did have a chance to win it before the Sox).

As I celebrated the victory watching the last game in a bar on the Southside a few blocks from "The Cell." (I wanted to share the experience with my fellow fans), I had a moment of sadness. I thought of my SAINTS! Several thoughts ran through my head about what that meant, but then, another round of chants for the Sox broke my thoughts and I went back the joy of the moment.

I still can't believe I was a"winner!" But it was incomplete,... I need my Saints fans to feel the same way I felt that night. I don't need a dynasty, just give me that one magical night!

I am sure when that night arrives, they will be the life long fan, short or recent fan (like me for the Sox), and the bandwagon fan there,..... differences isn't the category, but the emotion. They can never cheapened your emotion- but I will promise they will be envious of it.

---

post count and join date are clear indicators of your fanhood

just sayin

This is extremely inaccurate. I never knew about this site until I was stationed at Keesler which happened to correspond with the magical 2006 season and I was able to watch local news and someone in a crowd repped SR.com. I didn't know what it was so I went to the site and have been here ever since. That does not mean that's when I became a fan, that only means when I found out about this site. I have been stationed overseas for nearly half my Air Force career and the other times I was stationed in markets that did not carry Saints games, NM was one where all I got was Bronco's and Cowboy's games. The other was SC which was better since Atlanta and Carolina were both close so they usually carried those games against the Saints. While I was in these locations I tried whatever means I had available to try and watch Saints games or listen to them, follow them online, etc. While overseas, most time in the Pacific, I alter my sleeping schedule so that I can either watch the game on AFN or streamed online or last resort following in online. So your assumption of join date is indicates when someone became a fan is ridiculous.

Also, posts don't mean crap as many people just read others posts.

Edit: To address the subject of bandwagon fans. I say let them jump aboard, it's good financially and for team recognition. Also, if we can get more media coverage they might start looking back at old Saints teams for reference which would bring up the Dome Patrol years and with that Ricky Jackson's accomplishments which could put him in the front of some of these HOF voters minds. Team recognition is good all around and if it takes bandwagon fans in the media or just regular people then that is good.

As stated above they wouldn't have the emotional attachment to the team, but I'm going to be emotional enough that I really don't care if Joe or Jane Bandwagoner don't feel the same as me, because I will feel it and know that every other diehard out there will feel it.

Last edited:
The more rep boogers you have also shows how good of a poster you are too. :9:
Rep boogers are like concussions and sprains; once you get one, it becomes easier to get more :hihi:

Antipop, I usually agree with your posts, but not in this case. I just hope the new fans stick around after the inevitable poor game. Those of us who've been around for a few years can all share in our martyrdom to some extent, but let's hope there no shared misery this year.

Everyone's gotta start sometime. Just 'cuz I started in 1986 when the Saints had never even had a winning season....:hihi:. I didn't join SR until 2006 because I didn't know about the site until St. Anger told me. If the Saints don't keep you as a fan, this site can.

People want our team to be in the limelight but don't want bandwagon fans. You don't get one without the other. The more exposure you get, the more casual fans you get. Seems like common sense but some can't come to grips with that.

Bandwagon fans are good. They will ensure that our team remains financially viable. So what if they weren't fans since the team's inception or even before this year?

Some of these "bandwagoners" actually turn out to be pretty devoted fans over time. No one started out as a diehard.
I've already seen some very new-looking Saints jerseys here in town :hihi:

Just to prove my fanhood I've got my Michael Haynes jersey. Now a bandwagoner, he don't even KNOW Haynes played for the Saints!!:ezbill:

to most of you. Life is hard and to be fooled and baited this easily is silly, calm down fellas.
antipop, good one i guess, but was that intentional? I just thought it was a little joke then everyone went all gary busey on here.

jonesy, I don't care about bandwagon fans on here, but in my real life there are people who have been antagonizing me for years about the saints who suddenly want to be my "friend"and talk about the saints. Those guys can't roll with me, sorry.

The number of posts you have divided by how many years you have been a member can indicate how much time you have on your hands, actually.

Well, that's not necessarily the case...

I have a fairly low post count per year average but also have a lot of free time on my hands... I am just far too lazy to post often. I'm a born lurker. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom