Why are Dyson products so expensive?!?! (2 Viewers)

Seriously. Are they really worth it?

They have a fan for the house I want but it's stupid expensive. They also have a really bad arse blow dryer that my hair stylist uses when she does my hair but it's $500. I mean it makes my hair look good but come the fork on.

Anybody recommend any alternative brands?
In 2006 I bought a refurbished Dyson vacuum on Amazon for $280 ( normal price was $449)

We still have it,and it works as good as the day we got it. Worth it.

Interestingly enough, she also said she bought the Revlon dryer w/ built in brush thing (I am assuming it's the same one you have) and says she loves it and rarely uses the Dyson anymore.
Has to be the same thing. Pretty sure it's got to be the hottest selling hair appliance right now. I was never good with a blow dryer and brush and the One-Step does the trick with enough wattage to actually dry your hair unlike most other hot air brushes, though, I usually let my hair air dry for a good while first. This appliance and Olaplex products have changed my hair game (but, in about 2.5 years, I'll probably have spent enough on the Olaplex to pay for the Dyson).

Still would love to try the Dyson, though.

And that's the most I thought I'd talk about hair styling on a football message board ever.

Last edited:
We got an older animal from my sil who apparently tried vacuuming her carpet right after shampooing it. As a result, all the venturi tubes were completely compacted with dog hair, carpet fibers, carpet powder, dust and dirt. After taking the thing completely apart, cleaning it out and replacing all the filters it works great. The only problem i have with it is you can't lift the beater off the floor, so it's useless on smaller rugs. The suction is so strong it just pulls the rugs up along with it and bunches them up.
I've been told it's really about the airflow, not the suction.

i have owned several sharks (yay! dogs) and would easily buy another... without dogs.

they don't handle 3x 60+ pound dogs very well in the long run. the dyson? a little hair cleaning every other month, runs like a champion.

if it weren't for dogs, i'd gladly continue to buy sharks. to say anything, i have had my dyson 4 years, knock on wood, zero issues. shark? i used to replace at least yearly.

even then, vacuums aside, some of their other inventions have been what other people would call "god sends." if not, i would.

they aren't apple 'like' because they are actually innovative and care about their customers.
This
I went through 2 sharks
Owning 2, now 1 dog that is 80 lbs the stain is worth every penny

I have owned two dysons.

The first one died by no fault of its own. It took a trip down the stairs after being kicked. I am feeling much better now.

The second is still our only vacuum. Bought the animal in 2013. Despite two slobs, I mean kids, three moves and two large dogs - one 75lbs lab and the other 135lb Great Pyrenees (White hair everywhere). But as someone said- the Dyson just works. It’s their engineering that makes it that way. impeccable design and functionality.

Worth the money.

Part of my compartmentalization problem comes up in purchases. Everything is either lifetime or disposable. If I’m buying something for the house and I think it will last 10 years or more, then i tend to go with best ratings (generally most expensive). Everything else is disposable and I’m generally buying near the bottom bracket.

They also have a really bad arse blow dryer that my hair stylist uses when she does my hair but it's $500. I mean it makes my hair look good but come the fork on.

The kids and I got Bleu Wife one of those blow dryers from Dyson for Christmas a couple of years ago and she swears by it. Nothing else she had before even comes close to comparing. She says that almost every single time she uses it. She liked it so much she went out and bought a Dyson vacuum cleaner. I've no idea, nor do I want to know, how much she spent. She swears by the vacuum too.

A SIDE NOTE:

At one point Dyson was touting the vacuum cleaners as 'creating a suction force 100,000 times the force of gravity". I wrote them an email (I should look for it in my archives) explaining how their vacuum cleaners should then, by all accounts, be creating small black holes each time they are run. I received an acknowledgment of receiving the email and their advertising changed soon after. I couldn't find the video online for that commercial, so they've done a good job of removing it.

EDIT:

Found this video introducing a product from Dyson which, at about the 14:34 mark the dust particles are being spun around with a force of "about 79,000 G's".

Here is a good read on the mass of dust particles: https://spacemath.gsfc.nasa.gov/Modules/8Mod3Prob1.pdf

A little math reveals that a single particle with a mass of 1.1 x 10^-13 kg/grain would end up with a mass of 8.69e^-9 kg/grain at 79K G's. We should have a separate thread on the physics surrounding dust particles.

Last edited:
I have a Dyson stick vacuum and there is nothing that compares. Expensive, but worth it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom