Why are people like this? (5 Viewers)

I just want to lay down, close my eyes and never wake up. Please.

If there was a way to do it, I'd pay this debt for them tomorrow.
I understand and feel your angst, sorrow, outrage, and the need to do something. But, paying that $1000 debt is only the tip of the iceberg. They still need money for food and basic necessities. And they aren't the only ones, Afghanistan is filled with people in the same dire straits. You could go and give $1000 to each and every family there and it wouldn't make a difference. The problem is they are a country that wants to live in the Bronze Age amongst a 21st century world. You think what is going on there now is a horror? It really is nothing compared to the real Bronze Age. The difference now is that we have worldwide media to bring it to everyone's attention. How do you solve their problem? That's a rhetorical question because there really is no answer that any of us can give. The answer has to come from them. How many lives have we lost? Dollars spent? In trying to help them? Only to be pushed out after years of trying to help. I know that the common people want a change, but there is nothing you nor I can do to help them until they want to help themselves.

I understand and feel your angst, sorrow, outrage, and the need to do something. But, paying that $1000 debt is only the tip of the iceberg. They still need money for food and basic necessities.
I'd rather they starve and go without soap than have a man repeatedly rape a 10-year old girl.

I'd rather they starve and go without soap than have a man repeatedly rape a 10-year old girl.
Well, I agree. But, you cherry picked the post. They are living as if they are in the Bronze Age. In the BA, they had "arranged" marriages with dowries and the brides were often very young. If we were still in the Bronze Age, this would be a non-story, a fact of life, they way you would live. But, we are in the 21st century, with 21st Century altruism. They aren't. Simple as that. What would you have the rest of the world do? They are already trying to pressure them by cutting them off from the rest of the world. You want to go in there with a military and take over? Been there, done that.
Now, I wish things like this didn't exist in the world. But, they do. Until extremism becomes a thing of the past, it will continue to happen.

Well, I agree. But, you cherry picked the post. They are living as if they are in the Bronze Age. In the BA, they had "arranged" marriages with dowries and the brides were often very young. If we were still in the Bronze Age, this would be a non-story, a fact of life, they way you would live. But, we are in the 21st century, with 21st Century altruism. They aren't. Simple as that. What would you have the rest of the world do? They are already trying to pressure them by cutting them off from the rest of the world. You want to go in there with a military and take over? Been there, done that.
Now, I wish things like this didn't exist in the world. But, they do. Until extremism becomes a thing of the past, it will continue to happen.
It's not cherry-picking when you simply don't care about the other stuff being said.

It's not about Afghanistan's policy or their history. Shirt like this happening in your zip code.

I'm just thinking about the little girl at this point. At least twice since I've read it, I've wondered if I could quit my job and devote my time to issues like this.

If I did something stateside, it would have a different angle. Do I have the strength to endure stories like this all the time? No.

But how do you read about stuff like this and keep going on without changing anything in your life.

I struggle with that so much: what is my responsibility as a human when I know someone else is in pain.

It's not cherry-picking when you simply don't care about the other stuff being said.

It's not about Afghanistan's policy or their history. Shirt like this happening in your zip code.

I'm just thinking about the little girl at this point. At least twice since I've read it, I've wondered if I could quit my job and devote my time to issues like this.

If I did something stateside, it would have a different angle. Do I have the strength to endure stories like this all the time? No.

But how do you read about stuff like this and keep going on without changing anything in your life.

I struggle with that so much: what is my responsibility as a human when I know someone else is in pain.
If that is what your conscience is telling you, then quit your job and go help them. I'm all for people helping people, when they can. I just don't think you'll fare any better than the citizens that are there right now. You think it's a monetary thing. It's not. This is not something rich americans can throw money at and solve. You have to change their way of thinking. And by them, I mean the Taliban, because they are in charge.

These people are making a difference

http://www.tooyoungtowed.org/
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/02/asia/afghanistan-parwana-girls-marriage-intl-hnk-dst/index.html

Last edited:
That's awesome, rescuing a young girl. But, what about the thousands of others? We need to change their mindset. Even some of the parents still believe in this, it's not just the Taliban. There are small villages all over Afghanistan where this is happening. Even if you take up a collection of money, how do you get it to the people that need it? How do you determine that? Ignore the starving that have no children and just give it to the starving that have children? I'm sorry, but you can't solve this from the outside. There has to be a fundamental internal change in the way they think.

That's awesome, rescuing a young girl. But, what about the thousands of others? We need to change their mindset. Even some of the parents still believe in this, it's not just the Taliban. There are small villages all over Afghanistan where this is happening. Even if you take up a collection of money, how do you get it to the people that need it? How do you determine that? Ignore the starving that have no children and just give it to the starving that have children? I'm sorry, but you can't solve this from the outside. There has to be a fundamental internal change in the way they think.
That may be true but it still makes a difference to those that can be helped

That may be true but it still makes a difference to those that can be helped
Agreed. And every one you save is one that is saved. But, you have to do it one or a few at a time. I'm just trying to say that there is an entire country full of young girls/boys that need help. An entire country. Change has to come from within. How can we do that while the Taliban is in control?

Agreed. And every one you save is one that is saved. But, you have to do it one or a few at a time. I'm just trying to say that there is an entire country full of young girls/boys that need help. An entire country. Change has to come from within. How can we do that while the Taliban is in control?
It sounds like your overall point is that unless we can change the country at its core, helping a relative few is pointless.

My solution is for people to stop reproducing and bringing children onto this infected planet. But once they're here, I'd help anyone I came across that I could help.

It sounds like your overall point is that unless we can change the country at its core, helping a relative few is pointless.

My solution is for people to stop reproducing and bringing children onto this infected planet. But once they're here, I'd help anyone I came across that I could help.
Again, I agree. You and your family is starving, you have six children. And again again, a lot of these people still have that mindset (much like we did decades ago) that they need lots of children in order to have a few that survive. I don't know what the death rate is for children in Afghanistan, but I will bet that it will start to climb now as opposed to just a few years ago. Starvation, lack of medicine, and a general lack of education amongst the population. There are no free thinkers there, and if there are, they are hiding.

One if the strongest/big hearted people I know was a social worker who essentially determined whether kids stayed with or went back to their families
I don’t think she lasted 2 years in the job

One if the strongest/big hearted people I know was a social worker who essentially determined whether kids stayed with or went back to their families
I don’t think she lasted 2 years in the job
Yeah, those people deserve hazard pay for the work they have to do. I don't envy them at all. I can't imagine having to do that on a regular basis.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom