WHY are teams single-covering Steve Smith? (1 Viewer)

Saint Droopy

Born/Raised in Hollygrove
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I never understand this... he kills man to man coverage. And Tamps is losing that battle. Seattle set the blueprint for stopping Carolina... and NOBODY has followed their plan. I just don't get it...

yep same here..... over and over and over and over again.... i keep wondering if i'm seeing the same play again....

Bigger question - Why do we need to see extreme close-ups of Chuckie's face about every 15-20 seconds?

Most double coverages in general are going to see come with the second man being a safety over the top. He almost always gets this respect and thats why you see him catching more short passes than long ones now adays. You can't just straight up put two defensive backs on him at the line and within 10 yards which is where he makes his most plays. The question is do you shadow him with a linebacker underneith or with a safety overtop. Or do you triple team him? Do you trust your cornerback alone to contain him after the catch? You can't stop the man, only hope to contain him.

Last edited:
Teams don't single coverage Steve Smith because they know if you stop the run against Carolina you win.

Carolina has won every game they have outrushed their opponent since the opening game against us last year. They have lost every game in which their opponent has outrushed them since the same game. I think those are very telling stats.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom