Why are the Colts never remembered for stealing signals? (1 Viewer)

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
Lost in all the Super Bowl hoopla, and the regular crap that rolls out of Deion Sanders mouth, we somehow glanced over the accusation he threw Indy's way on Sunday. He accused the Colts of stealing signals during games, and using them.

Sanders, an analyst for NFL Network, made the comments after Sunday's Super Bowl about the Colts cheating when colleague LaDainian Tomlinson said some might question New England's success because of Spygate, the 2007 incident in which the Patriots broke the rules by videotaping the opposition's signals from an unauthorized location.

"Those same critics, did they say anything about the wins that the Indianapolis Colts had? You want to talk about that, too? Because they were getting everybody's signals," Sanders said on NFL Network. "Come on, you don't walk up to the line and look over here and the man on the sideline giving you the defense that they've stolen the plays of. We all knew. L.T. knew. Everybody in the NFL knew. We just didn't let the fans know. That was real and that was happening in Indy."

Tony Dungy says Indianapolis Colts stole signals but didn't cheat

So the NFL knew about it, but they didn't let the public know (trying to cover their backsides). Obviously this is a point of concern that the NFL is withholding information from people, and only releasing it to certain groups.

The good news is we have Tony Dungy to calm the waters

Dungy was on Pro Football Talk Live on Wednesday to explain that the Colts, like all other teams, did steal signals, but never cheated.

"I think we have to go back to what is cheating," Dungy said. "People accusing us of cheating? I don't think that's the case. Stealing signals? You can go back to the 1800s in baseball, you can go anywhere there were signals done, and people were looking and watching and trying to get signals."

Well, if he, LT, and the entire NFL knew....then, why keep your mouth shut until now Neon????

I did hear Deion say that the other night.......other than a brief Google search which didn't really turn up anything extensive, I didn't really research it any further.

L.T. didn't acknowledge it much, but also didn't jump in and say anything to contradict it either.

It all depends on how you acquired the information. Videotaping another team's private practice = cheating. Watching film, asking former and recently cut players for information, etc = not cheating.

Aren't a team suppose to look at the other team's tendencies or cues? Unless someone leak the playbooks or play calling to them, I don't see a problem there. You see coaches covering their mouth with board when calling out plays to their players. Dion is just ****** off his old team just lost the Super Bowl. He decided to bring this up after the game? Why not during the week?

Aren't a team suppose to look at the other team's tendencies or cues? Unless someone leak the playbooks or play calling to them, I don't see a problem there. You see coaches covering their mouth with board when calling out plays to their players. Dion is just ****** off his old team just lost the Super Bowl. He decided to bring this up after the game? Why not during the week?

To clarify something here...

Something was mentioned about Spygate / Deflategate and the question was raised about whether any of that impacted Brady's legacy.

Deion's answer was more of a "look, stuff goes on" type of answer in which he was saying that it would NOT impact Brady's legacy.......and referenced the Colts and how they stole signals.

To clarify something here...

Something was mentioned about Spygate / Deflategate and the question was raised about whether any of that impacted Brady's legacy.

Deion's answer was more of a "look, stuff goes on" type of answer in which he was saying that it would NOT impact Brady's legacy.......and referenced the Colts and how they stole signals.

I see this pretty much the same as Bountygate. Saints got busted for doing something lots of teams did. Pats may have taken it a bit farther and some accused the Saints of the same. Are the Pats my favorite team, nope. Does it seem a bit hypocritical if Saints fans jump on the Pats, mayyybeeee ...

Sounds like Deion is simply assuming Indy was stealing signals just because they figured out the defensive sets. Plenty of teams who watch film figure out tendencies. It does not sound as if there was ever any proof, just simply assumptions.

Sounds like Deion is simply assuming Indy was stealing signals just because they figured out the defensive sets. Plenty of teams who watch film figure out tendencies. It does not sound as if there was ever any proof, just simply assumptions.

My thoughts the same

I had no idea the Colts were doing it if they were, sounds like Deion is just trying to draw attention to himself once again

It's not illegal. Sounds like everyone else needs to do a better job in disguising their signals.

It all depends on how you acquired the information. Videotaping another team's private practice = cheating. Watching film, asking former and recently cut players for information, etc = not cheating.

I agree with what you are saying, but to clarify a little further. If I remember correctly, the Pats got in trouble for having their own camera men in the stands specifically filming the other teams coaches to figure out the signals. It's a bit of a gray area. I mean, the signals are being done right there in public for all to see. But having your own camera trained specifically on a coach during a game is and was against the rules at the time I believe. Belichick said he misinterpreted the rules in that regard, but that's where most of the Spygate punishment came from. There was never any concrete proof brought forward that they filmed a private practice.

I agree with what you are saying, but to clarify a little further. If I remember correctly, the Pats got in trouble for having their own camera men in the stands specifically filming the other teams coaches to figure out the signals. It's a bit of a gray area. I mean, the signals are being done right there in public for all to see. But having your own camera trained specifically on a coach during a game is and was against the rules at the time I believe. Belichick said he misinterpreted the rules in that regard, but that's where most of the Spygate punishment came from. There was never any concrete proof brought forward that they filmed a private practice.

You're right. From the beginning of the wiki:

"The 2007 New England Patriots videotaping controversy, widely dubbed "Spygate",[1][2] refers to an incident during the National Football League's (NFL) 2007 season when the New England Patriots were disciplined by the league for videotaping New York Jets' defensive coaches' signals from an unauthorized location during a September 9, 2007 game. Videotaping opposing coaches is not illegal in the NFL de jure, but there are designated areas allowed by the league to do such taping. Because the Patriots were instead videotaping the Jets' coaches from their own sideline during the game, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell deemed it to be in violation of league rules, stating that the act represented a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid long-standing rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_New_England_Patriots_videotaping_controversy

You're right. From the beginning of the wiki:

"The 2007 New England Patriots videotaping controversy, widely dubbed "Spygate",[1][2] refers to an incident during the National Football League's (NFL) 2007 season when the New England Patriots were disciplined by the league for videotaping New York Jets' defensive coaches' signals from an unauthorized location during a September 9, 2007 game. Videotaping opposing coaches is not illegal in the NFL de jure, but there are designated areas allowed by the league to do such taping. Because the Patriots were instead videotaping the Jets' coaches from their own sideline during the game, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell deemed it to be in violation of league rules, stating that the act represented a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid long-standing rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_New_England_Patriots_videotaping_controversy

there were also claims from teams they played (rams namely) that stated they video taped walk through of the other team.

i dont know if that was ever substantiated or not.

learning someones signals from the all 22 film every teams gets a copy of or figuring out the signals from the field is not illegal and/or cheating.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom